http://www.caperep.org

Auditions for this show have been announced:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/non-equity ... -2017-9692
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Cape Cod Repertory Theatre 08/02/2017 to 08/26/2017

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here is confirmation of the dates and the creative team on the company's website:

http://caperep.org/show/billy-elliot-the-musical/
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

The cast has been announced. Matthew Dean will play Billy again, for his fifth production. Click on the most of the individual names in the link below to see photos and bios.

https://caperep.org/show/billy-elliot-the-musical/
Billy Elliot - Matthew Dean
Mrs. Wilkinson - Alison Weller
Jackie Elliot - Tom Andrew
Tony Elliot - Nick Nudler
Grandma - McNeely Myers
Michael - Burke Brickner

Billy's Mum - Caitlin Mills
Mr. Braithwaite -- Stephen Rourke
Debbie Wilkinson - Nell Daisy Hamilton
Big Davey - Garrett Almeida

Ensemble:
Andrew Cranin
Lindsey Erin Agnes
Morgan Dexter
Justin West

Ballet Girls:
Madison Mayer
Alyssa Freeman
Eden Milczanowski
Grace Olah
Larkin Fox

Little Boy: Julien Lajoie
Boxing Kid: Macklin Devine
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Chat About Cape Cod Repertory Theatre 08/02-26/2017

Post by kport »

I
n its 91st summer, Cape Playhouse is trying to balance old and new, valued traditions and modern realities.
http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/201707 ... -playhouse
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I went to the opening show. I was intrigued to find out what a small summer theatre, set in the wilds of beautiful Cape Cod, would do with this musical.

The theatre reminds me of a Cape Cod summer camp experience: a clutch of nondescript wooden buildings down a long dirt road in what may have been a small farm. Entering it is like entering a new, timeless and undiscovered world. The theatre itself is best described as a 'little theatre' of about 150 seats, nicely raked so that every one has a fantastic view of the stage. The stage has no curtains or wings; it is of decent size for this production, and the orchestra is seated in a box to the right. There is really no scope for a moving bedroom or kitchen, for large pieces of mobile scenery, for full blown choreography (as in the original Solidarity), or for flying. This production would have to rely upon the strengths of the musical itself, stripped down, and upon acting skills of everyone on stage. And, last night, I can confirm that they pulled it off with tremendous success!

(The productions at Mendham NJ, and Marblehead's Little Theatre, both in the summer of 2016 did the same thing: by stripping away fripperies and seating 100 or so patrons so close to the actors, that sometimes they were among the actors, made the story come alive in a way that is rarely seen in a large theatre facility.)

Cast numbers are slightly reduced. There are six ballet girls. There are five miners and five police. The orchestra (who played beautifully) were just four in number; yet I never felt the accompaniment lacked in any way. Even the stagehands were absent: scenery was moved by the ballet girls with choreographed precision as they ran around the stage, lightly giggling like sprites, or Tinkerbell's assistants).

For an opening night, the cast performed with nary a hitch, and with great confidence. The singing voices were strong and excellent (I sat in the front row, and the ending of the first number had the cast literally singing two feet in front of me). For those who note these things, the full blown use of profanity is alive and well here (much to the delight of this audience.)

Several high points:

-Tapping (Part 1). The cast are unmic'd. This is an 'acoustic show', as everyone can be heard perfectly well. Ergo, the tapping is heard - and literally felt - with clarity. Numbers such as Expressing really come across well for this reason, as both Billy (Matthew Dean) and Michael (Burke Brickner), who are extraordinary tappers each (Burke taps with Thommie Retter), make this particular number end as a gloriously pure tap-and-song duet.

-Tapping (Part 2). Often, a complaint raised in others shows is that the tapping cannot be clearly heard over the orchestra in Angry Dance. Come to this show and be dazzled! Not only is Matthew's tapping so powerful that I have grave concerns about whether the set will survive the run - his angst and power take me back to memories of Jamie Bell in the film, or Ben Cook in Boston's Opera House. Matthew's performance last night ranks with the best Angry Dance I have seen from any Billy. This one has to be seen to be believed.

-Because of the intimacy of this theatre, every vocal line can be delivered and timed so that the audience can react. It creates a very interactive audience. The pace last night was quick; the first act was little more than 75 minutes.

-No Billy I have seen has been more 'on top of his game' than is Matthew Dean. You can tell this is his fifth production in 10 months; he has the 'show experience' of a touring or Broadway Billy. His acting is incredibly powerful, and the passion in both Angry Dance and the final scene, as he says goodbye to Mum, are stunning, especially seen from only a few feet away. Burke Brickner, so the Playbill states, is a relative newcomer to acting in a musical, but he plays the role like an experienced Michael, with a natural stage presence and a joie de vivre that the role demands. Did I mention his tapping? Astonishing! That he is a pupil of Thommie Retter? Say no more! We need to find him an opportunity to play Billy one day.

Walking out after the curtain call last night (there is no finale), audience comments indicated that this show will be a rousing success for Cape Rep. I spoke with a Board member after, and I hope this show will help this little theatre raise some money to enhance its historic campus. This is theatre-among-the-dunes in an historic setting that must be preserved. There was talk that the show may be extended, as tickets are virtually sold out. This may be Billy's last sojourn in New England for some time, and it is a worthy production on which to take a temporary bow.

After the show, the cast were available and very happy to speak with the audience.

Postscript: If you are coming from off Cape Cod, traffic can be challenging and unpredictable. I left an extra two hours early, just in case, and barely made it on time. Leave ample time. The good news is this: if you arrive early, there is a fantastic Cape Cod road side restaurant 1000 feet from the Billy sign on Maine Street, Brewster, called Cobies. Miss it, and you will miss an amazing (and reasonably priced) treat! http://cobies.com/photos/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks for the great review kport. Sounds like a very different Billy experience to many others described in reviews from other places, but none-the-less a very enjoyable one.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for the review, Kport. It makes me even more excited to be seeing it next week.

Here is a great photo album posted on Cape Rep Theatre's Facebook. It looks like very inventive use of the small space they have.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/CapeRepThea ... 8753181596
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Thanks for the review, Kport. It makes me even more excited to be seeing it next week.

Here is a great photo album posted on Cape Rep Theatre's Facebook. It looks like very inventive use of the small space they have.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/CapeRepThea ... 8753181596
Seeing again the image of Billy is the Shadow Dance scene, I am reminded how Matthew interspersed ballet with boxing moves, as he struggles to decide which it should be. It harks back to Jamie Bell's Billy in the film.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

According to Cape Rep's Facebook post today, the entire run is sold out! I'm looking forward to seeing it this week and meeting up with some of my good friends.

https://www.facebook.com/CapeRepTheatre ... 0549656596

Return to “Cape Cod Repertory Theatre 08/02/2017 to 08/26/2017”