Thomas Hazelby - Billy

Barry Appleby
George

Re: Thomas Hazelby - Billy

Post by Barry Appleby »

“WELCOME BACK" Its Great news to hear that your name was on he board for last night, Thomas. I hope everything went down o.k, keep that Yorkshire flag flying.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Here's an interesting video of Thomas and Stephen Daldry: http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/05 ... elliot.cnn
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

What a great interview! Thank you.
Sheepdog
Tall Boy

Post by Sheepdog »

I don't get to see the show often... well, not THAT often... but have had great luck with "the draw", and seen Thomas three times. (Okay, I cheated once... went on Wednesday, and took a chance of a ticket for Thurday matinee if Thomas wasn't doing Wednesday, but was doing Thursday. This was after the long anxious wait to see if all he'd put into preparing was going to be for just a few performances. "Had" to celebrate his return!)

I truely don't believe there is much between the standard of all the Billys. "Steak" and "ice cream" are BOTH good.

But, having seen Thomas when he was new, just after he came back after his time away, and again this past Thursday (didn't "cheat" to do it, this time!) I would compliment him on a particular thing...

His ACTING skills seem to me to have GROWN. Particularly the range and appropriateness of the facial expressions he conjures up are fabulous. Really makes the performance come alive, seem "real". But it is more that that. Body language, I suppose? He just seems totally engaged in what is going on. You don't remember that he is just "doing lines" he's done before.

AND his dancing is good... very "tappy"... (... and he can sing... as can all the kids I've seen. Just maybe not in that order, always.)

(And no, I'm not deaf/ blind... I DID see the little deviations from "the script"... as I have seen others before. Didn't harm the show, so are they desperately important? I've seen the adults introduce challenges for their colleagues, too!)
emcpow
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by emcpow »

Thomas has won a place at the Royal Ballet School according to this Facebook post:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8105939327

It's really nice to see that he's got something amazing to go onto even though Billy is closing, and of course it is somewhat fitting that he is mirroring Billy's own story.

Well done Thomas!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Look who showed up at a recent Dance with Layton class. :D

https://www.facebook.com/LaytonWilliams ... =3&theater
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Sheepdog
Tall Boy

Post by Sheepdog »

July 2019- Still going strong at the Royal Ballet School.

This is not as "well, of course", as it might seem.

The school frequently says to pupils: "We're sorry, but this isn't what's right for you." This isn't as heartless/ selfish as it may seem. Pupils are accepted at 11. Ballet at this level requires a certain body type, and as children mature, bodies change. (Apart from other obvious factors. Even Liam Mower took some time off at one point. And was re-admitted later. Another pointer to his excellence. (You can see him today in important roles with Matthew Bourne's New Adventures.)

The school receives over twenty thousand applications every year... for about 50 places in each year group, many of which, of course, are already taken, in all but the most junior year. Their annual end of year show, early July, Holland Park Opera, is... breath taking. Thomas is wonderful... and, in his year alone, there are 49 other wonderful kids, too.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Do you have the link for this article?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Sheepdog
Tall Boy

Post by Sheepdog »

No article for the fact he is still there. I saw him, as a member of the audience. Much of the material about RBS in Wikipedia page. Other bits from a TV programme done by BBC a few years ago. (In which Thomas appeared briefly. He'd waited, with many others, to audition for a "big part" in the Royal Ballet's Christmas "Nutcracker" (an annual event that the White Lodge kids get bit parts in.) Time ran out, his name was too far down the list, he didn't even get seen. He took the disappointment extremely graciously, maturely... on camera, anyway.)

Hard life, ballet. I admire anyone who can stick it. Encourages me in the belief that not all humans are of dubious value to the planet. I have "Billy" to thank for introducing me to this world.

Return to “Cast - London”