Liam Mower

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Liam Mower

Post by ERinVA »

I am surprised that the one linked through the Theatre Royal site would be private, but I did notice that when I clicked on it on their page, it kicked over to Liam's own post. :? II am surprised that it hasn't shown up on Matthew Bourne's New Adventures Facebook. Maybe it will make its way there eventually.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

I've just seen Liam in Dublin playing Tantrum in Sleeping Beauty.
He was great as always.
I wonder if I go back tomorrow will I see him in a different role
according to the website he's also playing Count Lilac and Carabosse/Caradoc

has anyone seen him in the role of Carabosse/Caradoc?

I'd be so happy to see him in that role as well.
---
István
jenapen
Audience Member

Post by jenapen »

Good to hear Liam was great as always. There's a chance going back you'd get to see Lilac but not much chance of Carabosse/Caradoc. He's cover Carabosse/Caradoc so unless it's a week with extra shows or there's an injury/illness he's unlikely to be on in that role. They have had a couple of shows with all the people who play covers on so they've done it and are ready to go on. There are two shows with them scheduled at Sadler's Wells but that's a bit far from Dublin!

I have seen him as Carabosse/Caradoc and really enjoyed his performance, the characters are so different to what he's done before so that was really nice to see. I thought his Carabosse was very loving towards baby Aurora, I guess it makes sense since she's conjured her up. Caradoc was a little bit creepy, my favourite part by far was the way he led the whole cast at the wedding party. His dancing was as usual beautiful.

If you go on the Matthew Bourne's New Adventures Facebook page you can ask who the principles are for the rest of the week. They usually reply if asked.
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

jenapen wrote: I have seen him as Carabosse/Caradoc and really enjoyed his performance, the characters are so different to what he's done before so that was really nice to see.
Lucky you! :)
I had the same thought, that's why I'd love to see him in that role.
jenapen wrote: If you go on the Matthew Bourne's New Adventures Facebook page you can ask who the principles are for the rest of the week. They usually reply if asked.
I did that a few days ago, but no answer :(
---
István
jenapen
Audience Member

Post by jenapen »

Darth_Revan wrote:I did that a few days ago, but no answer :(
How annoying, maybe try again as it might have been swamped in the masses of Swan Lake and Mr Wonderful posts over the last few days. Hope they post casting and you get to see Lilac too and if miraculously there's a Carabosse/Caradoc performance hope you see it. Good luck!
Sheepdog
Tall Boy

Post by Sheepdog »

A question for those of you who have seen him in many roles...

Is he an ACTOR... can be "be" a variety of "people"?

Over the years, I have become firmly convinced he is a lovely person (only based on "distance acquaitance") I saw him in Car Men... brilliant... playing a character similar to my impression of his own character.

I know he is a superb dancer. I will "forgive" him if he isn't a great actor... being a great dancer is "enough", surely? Just curious.

In case what I mean isn't clear: Consider John Wayne. He delivered many very enjoyable performances, presumably through skill and hard work. But I doubt it is a coincidence that directors seemed to avoid chosing him except for the role of a certain sort of character. Of course, he may have been a victim of type-casting, who knows. Has Liam been given "un-Liam" roles to show us if he has THOSE skills TOO?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Sheepdog wrote:A question for those of you who have seen him in many roles...

Over the years, I have become firmly convinced he is a lovely person (only based on "distance acquaitance") I saw him in Car Men... brilliant... playing a character similar to my impression of his own character.

I know he is a superb dancer. I will "forgive" him if he isn't a great actor... being a great dancer is "enough", surely? Just curious.

In case what I mean isn't clear: Consider John Wayne. He delivered many very enjoyable performances, presumably through skill and hard work. But I doubt it is a coincidence that directors seemed to avoid chosing him except for the role of a certain sort of character. Of course, he may have been a victim of type-casting, who knows. Has Liam been given "un-Liam" roles to show us if he has THOSE skills TOO?

To answer your question, here is what I said earlier in this thread about Liam's performance as the Prince in Matthew Bourne's "Swan Lake" back in May of 2014:

ERinVA wrote:Today I saw the matinee performance of "Swan Lake" in High Wycombe, and upon arrival at the theatre, I was very excited to see Liam's name on the cast board as the Prince for the afternoon's performance.

Oh.My.Goodness!!!! He was absolutely stunning!

The pairing of Liam as the Prince with Chris Trenfield as the Swan/Stranger was a match made in Dance Heaven. Trenfield was absolutely magnificent in the role that Adam Cooper created--a commanding presence on the stage. And the chemistry between Liam's oedipally confused, vulnerable, and emotionally fragile Prince and Trenfield's Swan was a privilege to behold! Of course, I already knew what an exceptional dancer Liam is, but I found myself completely astonished by his acting. I really do not have adequate words to describe the live experience. I had seen the 3D broadcast of "Swan Lake" at my local cinema about a year ago, with Dominic North dancing the Prince, and loved it, but I have to say it paled in comparison to seeing the production live at the Wycombe Swan Theatre this afternoon.

After the show, I waited at the stage door for Liam to come out. It was lovely to be able to thank him for his performance and get a photo with him. In short, I had a fantastic, memorable day!
As for assuming that Liam is playing a character much like himself in "The Car Man," I think that might be a bit of a leap to a conclusion. Other than noting that he is young and attractive, I don't see how one can go beyond that. I do think that his young appearance and his ability to show a vulnerable side could make him a logical casting choice for both Angelo and the Prince (and Edward Scissorhands as well), but on the other hand, Count Lilac and Carabosse/Caradoc in "Sleeping Beauty" don't fit that description at all. I have only seen him as Tantrum in "Sleeping Beauty," but I would love to see him as Count Lilac or Carabosse/Caradoc.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

Sheepdog wrote:A question for those of you who have seen him in many roles...

Last night I was wondering how Liam would have portrayed Carabosse/Caradoc.
I had no doubt his Carabosse/Caradoc would be excellent as well, although I haven't seen him in many shows, but based on the Swan Lake's Prince and the Car Men's Angelo I believe he's not only a good dancer but also a very good actor.

How could he have been chosen as Billy otherwise? :)
---
István
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Liam gets special praise from Matthew Bourne in this recent interview:
Then there’s Liam Mower, one of the original Billy Elliots in the stage musical, now a mainstay of Bourne’s company. “He’s probably the most technically talented dancer we’ve ever had in the company,” says Bourne. “He will add nuance and detail and things he’s not even asked to do and you just go, ‘Oh! Keep doing that!’”
http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/thea ... 18251.html
Ellen

Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Post by Darth_Revan »

---
István

Return to “Cast - London”