Favorite Treble Choirs

For off-topic content
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Favorite Treble Choirs

Post by porschesrule »

For those Libera fans among us, here's a wonderful synopsis of their Washington DC concert/DVD taping for PBS. It's written by the lady who coordinated the volunteers who worked on the concert and who owns the blog Mini-Angels, Lauren. There are some terrific pictures too!

http://mini-angels.blogspot.com/2014/08 ... g.html?m=1
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

From the recent Libera DC concert, here are some pictures posted by Jeroen Jans, the lighting designer for the concert, showing the stunning lighting effects from the concert, which will be broadcast on PBS in March.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Just found this topic here. Funnily enough I don't usually like vocal music very much. I'm rather a fan of instrumental/orchestral music. Yet sometimes in the middle I happened to hear some pieces where obviously choristers or soloists could use their voices like instruments. Then I found out about the anglican boys choir traditition and the fact that unlike a normal children's school or whatever choir they really can sing.
I bought loads of CDs and eventually did my first trip to London. St.Paul's Cathedral - I was stunned how pure and perfectly they sound even live. I also found out about the church in Norbury (Libera) and attended a fantastic evensong there. Unfortunatly I did not yet get the chance to see Libera at a concert. But when in London I always try to stay over the sunday to have the chance to listen to the St.Paul's Cathedral Choir at a service.
Btw. on that first trip to London when I was led astray around the tube net (massive planned engineering works)I saw a Billy Elliot placard. I didn't notice at first view that it was about a 'new' musical. Later that day I found this forum and next day I sat in the VPT. :D
Being from Berlin(not living there anymore) one of my favourite treble choirs is the 'Staats und Domchor' which is conjoint with the UdK (University of Arts) as also with the Berliner Dom (cathedral-church). They have a high standard and can be compared to Thomanerchor or Dresdner Kreuzchor.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Next time you're in London, go to Evensong at Westminster Abbey and ask to be seated in the Quire. Last time I was there, several friends and I sat right behind the tenors for the service. It was a wonderful experience.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Excellent advice. Admission to the Abbey is free if you come to attend a service.

Another suggestion is to visit Westminster Cathedral (RC), across the street from the Victoria Palace Theatre, by McDonalds. The choir is equal to that of any Anglican cathedral, and Choral Vespers begins most nights at 5.30, just as the matinee ends. The matinee; Choral Vespers; dinner at Brown's, then on to the evening show - a perfect Thursday in London.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

ERinVA wrote:Next time you're in London, go to Evensong at Westminster Abbey and ask to be seated in the Quire. Last time I was there, several friends and I sat right behind the tenors for the service. It was a wonderful experience.
HaHa :P Did that once. I had an admission ticket for the Abbey. As I walked out, the choir was rehearsing. I stood outside the Quire and the sound was heavenly. A treble soloist was singing and it sounded like a distant angel. I decided to come again for the service. It was very crowded, thus I was one of the last and (unasked) led into the Quire. I could not believe they placed me right among the trebles. Yet the sound wasn't the same - more like in a school class room. :lol:

I prefer most the St.Paul's Sung Eucharist - the choir stands under the dome instead of in the Quire. That gives a unique sound and you can sound out every voice and every word they sing down to the letter is clear and audible.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

That is unusual. I have never seen them place anyone in amongst the singers. We were behind the choir, not part of it, and the sound was lovely. I usually try to go to Evensong at the Abbey when I am in London. When I go to St. Paul's, I go to Matins.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
thm
Miner

Post by thm »

As far as I remember there were 6 seats in a compartment tiled with wooden rails.To the left and right larger compartments with the boys. Still very close - I could read their sheets. There were also Ministers and other visitors placed.

I've just looked at a picture. There was a (temporarily) wall that cut the Quire so that only 2 compartments remained and there must have been chairs on the middle inlet. The portal to one side and the wall to the other side enclosed this part of the Quire thus seeming to be a room. I could only see on a few of the 'outside' visitors through that portal, which made the whole experience a little too intimate for my taste. I was wondering whilst they led me to that seat if they confused me with someone special :shock:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/ ... 64x609.jpg
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

There are always chairs set up on either side near the High Altar, located out of the photo in the direction that the priest and royals are walking, and many people are seated there for the service. Usually, entry for the service is through an archway on your left near the altar as you face the back of the Sanctuary. When you enter there, the ushers may seat you in those chairs, or they may move you to your right into the stalls in the Quire itself. In the picture you have linked, if you look at the lower right-hand part of the image, you will see a row of people behind the men on the last row of the choir. Those choir member are the tenors, and we were in that row behind them, like the people in the photograph. I have sat in various places within the Quire over the years, and I have also sat in the chairs near the altar.
Ellen

thm
Miner

Post by thm »

Well, it's been 7 years now and maybe it wasn't a service but a concert. The choristers were definitely seated other than in the picture. I remember I sat in the middle row. I was given a bible, a songbook and some loose sheets and I had noooo idea where and when to look in. :?

Return to “General Chat”