What movies did you see recently?

For off-topic content
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: What movies did you see recently?

Post by kport »

I went today to see Black Mass.

Anyone who associates Johnny Depp with Edward Scissorhands, Willy Wonka or J M Barrie, will see a far darker portrayal here, of James 'Whitey' Bulger, leader of Boston's Winter Hill Gang and ruler of South Boston's gang world. It portrays life in the 'other' half of Boston: a community, largely Irish, working class, clannish and insular, and corruption at just about every level, right up to the FBI; and even Bulger's attempt to smuggle arms to the IRA (an attempt that was foiled).

Highly recommended, as these incidents occured very recently. Benjamin Cumberbatch puts in a fine performance of Whitey's younger brother who worked himself out of the projects to become one of Massachusett's senior politicians, and Chancellor of the University of Massachusetts. My only quibble is with Depp's rather ill-fitting skull cap, an attempt to make him look balding, like Whitey. It just looks ridiculous after a while.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I saw 'Bridge of Spies' today, and I must echo Ellen's praise of it. There is something miraculous about the symbiotic partnership of Steven Speilberg, The Coen Brothers and Tom Hanks that elevates any historically-based story into a cinematic epic. Add to this a fantastic performance by Mark Rylance (he is currently filming BFG (a children's book by Roald Dahl, which should be a big hit next year) as Soviet spy Rudolf Abel, and you have a film that should not be missed.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

MARTIAN = Leave Matt and the movie on Mars

PAN = "Pan it"

BLACK MASS = Depp is extraordinary -compelling story - well worth seeing

BRIDGES OF SPIES = riveting - great acting - fascinating piece of history expertly told - a must see

TRUTH = another fascinating piece of history - Kate Blanchette shines. - takes a while to build but then takes off with a powerful punch. I bet Dan Rather liked it.

STEVE JOBS = This film surprised me- Oscars all around -phenomenal acting stellar cast especially Michael Fessbender-
brilliant people also have troubled childhoods and sometimes emotional paralysis. Fascinating portrait. Don't miss this one

Trailer https://youtu.be/aEr6K1bwIVs
JTfan
Small Boy

Post by JTfan »

I watched The Iron Lady on DVD recently. I found it in the public library and was interested to see this take on the life of Maggie Thatcher, also because of the link to BETM. I thought it was an amazing film. It made me think of her in a different light - I always felt more like the miners did about her, although I felt very sad when I saw the hostile reactions to her passing away in 2013. Not only was The Iron Lady a great movie in terms of acting and visual storytelling, it also taught me quite a few things about this historic figure.
I later read she had her own coat of arms and I really like her motto that goes with it: "Cherish Freedom".
Always be yourself
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

It is too hot here to do much outside, so I went to see the noon showing of the new 007 film, Spectre. It was everything you expect from the James Bond franchise, with a little contemporary nod toward excessive government surveillance. Daniel Craig remains believable and Christopher Waltz was a very credible bad guy. Although the film lasts two and a half hours, it never drags, and the many scenes shot along London's River Thames brought back many happy memories. See this one, if you like Bond.
tzwicky
George

I was there!!!!

Post by tzwicky »

During my previous Billython back at the end of June, Lambeth Bridge was totally closed and half of Westminster Bridge was closed as well, for night filming of "Spectre" on The Thames. I hung out at Lambeth Bridge, but all the battlefield lighting rigs up and down the river on both sides, including those hidden on the river in Victoria Tower Gardens was insane to witness. It could all have been 2nd Unit filming, since all the activity amounted to one copter sweeping up and down the river between the bridges, and the street wetting truck made passes across the bridge several times an hour. There were about a dozen fancy cars on the Lambeth side of the bridge, but I didn't stay to see them in action.

So, kport, when in the movie should I be looking for that footage? Nighttime, Lambeth Bridge or the river itself. The Palace of Westminster was totally lit so it might be in the film as well. Never saw any souped up boats but they might also be in there.

I might go to see it tonight on an IMAX screen. Opening day at an IMAX movie sounds like a mob waiting to happen, but as I sit very, very, very much too close to the screen (all the better to be totally immersed in the film) I don't usually have to worry about the crowd.

I might wear a black armband to this film, acknowledging the absence of Judi Dench as M.

A 2-1/2 hour film helmed by Sam Mendes is 2.5 hours well spent. I wonder how much contraband food I can sneak into the theatre?

tzwicky
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Judi Dench appears in a flashback moment. The film tips its hat to many past moments that fans will spot. But her role has been taken over by a very establishment - and surprisingly involved (as the subplot is an attempt to get rid of the Double-0 section) Ralph Fiennes, so in a way the character has reverted to the M of old.

I suspect 99% of the imagery in the film around the Thames are CGI - I mean, the iconic MI5 building is destroyed a la any building brought down by controlled explosions. I believe the building still stands, but the film is very convincing in its destruction.

Only one scene involved actors in a London location: the final scene is clearly shot, at night, on (I think) Lambeth Bridge, looking north. Other London scenes are clearly CGI; but incredibly convincing.

I will add a spoiler: the film ends unlike any other. James and his new love drive off in a newly-restored DB5. The 007 division has just rescued its existence - by a whisker. And Daniel Craig looks as though a government pension could be beckoning. I wonder whether he will be settled, living in Sandbanks and playing golf at Parkstone most weekdays, and reluctant, when the next 'call' arrives? Léay Saydoux (his squeeze) seems to 'get' him....you almost see babies in her loving gaze....and she is the first Bond girl to flummox him about what he is, or wants to be. If I were a betting man, I would say this will be Daniel Craig's last outing, unless he comes back a la Ian Fleming.....pipe smoking, clubby and happily married.

Which could be an interesting twist.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I went today to see The 33, a film about the true story of the 2010 Chilean coal mining disaster, and subsequent rescue. It will be a better film if the viewer is entirely unaware of the true story, but for those who know the outcome (everyone survives, remarkably well) then it does drag at parts. However, for those invested in Billy Elliot and its surroundings (the coal pit and miners), they will relate to the bond - and tension - between the miners (and their families), as they struggle to survive.

(In the trailers, shown before the movie, there was one promoting the new George Clooney film, Hail, Caesar!, directed by the Coen Borthers and produced by Working Title Films under Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner, who of course are two of the original producers of BETM. It looks like a good laugh, reminiscent of a film by the likes of Mel Brooks.)
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Last night we saw SPOTLIGHT, the highly acclaimed movie (and true story) of the team of reporters at the Boston Globe who investigated the wide-spread cases of child abuse within the Catholic Church, and blew the cover on decades of cover-up. It stars some huge names like: Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Brian d'Arcy James, Stanley Tucci and Mark Ruffalo, who all perform very well as an ensemble. Even though we generally know what happened, the movie is a tense investigative thriller and will leave audiences stunned. Definitely one of the best movies of the year!

https://www.facebook.com/SpotlightMovie/?fref=ts

Watch the trailer at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXymzwz0V2g
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

I saw Theeb, a Jordanian film about a Bedouin boy who goes along with his family to help a WW1 soldier find a well and get him along out of what is now Wadi Rum. Quite beautiful and understated. I've been to Wadi Rum, Jordan so loved watching it just for the landscapes, but the acting was fine too.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Return to “General Chat”