For off-topic content
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: What movies did you see recently?

Post by kport »

All the Money in the World

Run - do not walk - to see this film.

Of its genre, it has perhaps the tightest control over building the story - based on real events - to a perfect climax.

The cast is stellar. But it is Christopher Plummer who makes this film remarkable. I cannot imagine it done by Spacey, having seen Plummer's performance.

The NYT agrees:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/24/movi ... =google_kp
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I saw "All the Money in the World" and thought it was a great movie. I couldn't imagine Kevin Spacey doing any better than Christopher Plummer, who was brought in to replace him in all scenes involving J.P. Getty.

Today I saw another wonderful movie. I mean, where can you get Lord Grantham, Dr. Who, Mrs. Wilkinson, Mad-Eye Moody, the guy from "Four Weddings and a Funeral," and a little bear in a blue coat and red hat all in one terrific cast? "Paddington 2" is a completely charming, funny movie, and I highly recommend that you see it. I might even go back and see it again! :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Today I saw "The Greatest Showman" for the second time. I enjoyed it as much as the first. Despite that it's a pop soundtrack, and a crowd-pleasing story, I think it's one of the better movie musicals I've seen. The staging of many of the musical numbers is brilliant.

There's no doubt Pasek & Paul will win their second Oscar for this, after last year's Best Song Oscar for "La La Land", and a Tony for "Dear Even Hansen". They've had a phenomenal year!
jillmichael
Tall Boy

Post by jillmichael »

Sean- I saw Call Me By Your Name too!

Now - I read the book first, because you talked about it...

I LOVED the book- it was beautifully written. Couldn't get enough of it.

I only LIKED the movie - truly I thought Timothee Chalet did a wonderful job. I loved how the movie was understated and simple though complicated. However -- maybe I shouldn't have read the book, because I just feels like it pales in comparison...I could never get myself to like the man who plays Oliver-- well, at least as much as I was supposed to like him. In the book, Oliver was super charismatic, everyone loved and adored him. I just couldn't get that with Armie Hammer. He is cute, but other than that I don't think he was charismatic and likable enough- I don't know if that was his fault or the scriptwriters fault, but it wasn't coming through. Just my opinion of course :D
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

jillmichael wrote:Sean- I saw Call Me By Your Name too!

Now - I read the book first, because you talked about it...

I LOVED the book- it was beautifully written. Couldn't get enough of it.

I only LIKED the movie - truly I thought Timothee Chalet did a wonderful job. I loved how the movie was understated and simple though complicated. However -- maybe I shouldn't have read the book, because I just feels like it pales in comparison...I could never get myself to like the man who plays Oliver-- well, at least as much as I was supposed to like him. In the book, Oliver was super charismatic, everyone loved and adored him. I just couldn't get that with Armie Hammer. He is cute, but other than that I don't think he was charismatic and likable enough- I don't know if that was his fault or the scriptwriters fault, but it wasn't coming through. Just my opinion of course :D
If I had one fear going into the movie, it was that Armie Hammer was miscast. While I was grateful a known actor was cast in the role, I was concerned. That said, I dunno, I just loved the book and movie so much, I didn't overthink it when I saw the movie. I completely understand those who don't like him or think he's too old for the role, but I just found the movie so beautiful, it didn't bother me. For the record, I felt the same way about Russell Crowe in Les Mis. I felt they miscast him, but I just loved that movie so much too, I wasn't bothered the same way so many others were.

I will add that Call Me by Your Name the book IS superior, and not just to the movie but as a piece of literature. It's a work of art in itself, and the movie never had any chance of meeting its glory. Still, four Oscar nominations ain't too shabby! :D

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Just to add my three cents worth to the "Call Me By Your Name" discussion . . .

I've always been a fan of movies like this where you feel like you're truly being transported to another part of the world that you might not ever go to, but would like to go there after seeing how beautiful it is. Adding to the scenic landscapes is the meandering, carefree atmosphere of a summer vacation that we get to enjoy in this picture, and it adds all the more to the pleasant look of the film. Two other beautifully photographed films that take advantage of the Italian landscape that I would recommend are "I Am David," starring Jim Caviezel and "Respiro" starring Valeria Golino.

I thought most of the acting was very good. Armie Hammer, however, came across to me as more of a Wall Street investor-type who was there on vacation with his family, and most likely would have thought himself above hanging out with a high school kid. I couldn't tell if the party scene where he was dancing was intended to be humorous or not, but it reminded me somewhat of the "Seinfeld" episode where Elaine's awkward dancing became an inside joke among her co-workers. At any rate, I didn't think it did him any favors in supposedly adding to his allure to Timothee Chalamet's character.

One aspect I'm surprised more critics haven't brought up is the fact that this film is being applauded by most in the entertainment business, despite their rush to boycott anyone accused of sexual misconduct. Hammer's 20-something character having sexual relations with a teenage boy surely reminded some people in the Hollywood community of the Kevin Spacey incident that they've been so outraged over. And Timothee Chalamet recently expressing remorse at working with Woody Allen (despite Allen's transgressions being widely-known for many years now) rings a bit hollow given his participation in this film.

I could also discuss the whole "permissive parenting" thing presented in the movie (when Chalamet's character announces at a family dinner, "I almost had sex with my girlfriend last night" and his father replies, "Well, why didn't you?" . . . . what father of a teenager would actually say that?) but I think I've piled on enough. While there's lots to like about the acting and the cinematography, I couldn't help but find much of the subject matter uncomfortable - knowing that many young people carry scars and guilt of sexual relationships like this when they were teenagers, despite it being presented in this movie as a beautiful love story.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

17 and 24 years old in a country where the age of consent is even younger. I just refuse to see the problem, except for perhaps the casting of Armie Hammer in the role. The facts themselves, however, are not a problem, and therefore puzzle me why people keep harping on them. There is a HUGE difference between the facts of this story and what's going on around the world--as pointed out by Hollywood--and I have trouble understanding how anyone could not see how HUGE a difference it is. This story focused on two legal-age adults participating in a completely consensual affair. How anyone can even slightly compare that to the kinds of rape and sexual harassment stories we've heard about is beside me, but I urge anyone who thinks that way to learn the difference right away. Consent and legality are different from non-consent and illegality.
Todd wrote:Just to add my three cents worth to the "Call Me By Your Name" discussion . . .

Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Sean, I understand the difference between consent and legality vs. non-consent and illegality. And I know that the behavior that was being depicted and celebrated on-screen in this film is illegal even if it's consensual, at least in the country where I was watching the film (the United States), depending on the state. I think it's asking a lot for viewers to simply dismiss that fact when they watch the film by saying, "Well, it's taking place in Italy and it's legal there, so I guess I can enjoy watching it now and not feel creepy about it."

While I agree that there is some difference between what Hollywood is currently crusading about and the events depicted in this film (since the Kevin Spacey incidents were not consensual and the affair depicted in the film was consensual), the fact remains that Hammer's character (Oliver) would be charged with statutory rape had his and Elio's affair occurred in the state of California. So yes, some difference - based on location - but not exactly a HUGE enough difference for Hollywood to be cheering a film where the behavior in it would be illegal if it occurred in their state, while boycotting others accused of sexual misconduct.

We all bring our own unique set of life experiences to a movie or a live show, which colors our enjoyment or acceptance of what we're watching. Perhaps I had a hard time getting past the memory of a camp director of a neighboring summer camp where I used to work, who used his charisma and winning personality to become sexually involved with some teenage boy campers whose trust he had earned. Even though some of the situations might have been legal had they occurred in Italy, it didn't change the fact that some of the boys needed counseling and had trouble in school and in their personal life for a number of years after that. The camp director is currently in prison.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

There is no dismissing your feelings, Todd. They are yours and they are completely valid. I'm sorry to hear your past has negatively impacted your enjoyment of this film. I personally see no problem with a consensual relationship between two legal-age adults anywhere in the world, but there's no point going back and forth over it here. I just wanted to convey my strong opinion that comparing non-consensual acts with consensual acts, illegal with legal, all while maligning Hollywood's pursuit of truth and healing, is not helpful. I'll be happy to discuss this further off the site anytime.

Looking forward to more movie reviews here soon. Andy and I are going to try to watch more of the Best Picture nominees as the month continues.

-Sean

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Obviously, this is a topic on which perhaps the best that can happen is that people agree to disagree.

That said, on another note, let's change the focus:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/opin ... ll-me.html
But the real star is Crema. Mr. Guadagnino discovered a dreamlike quality in my hometown — in the cobbled squares, the narrow alleys, the stunning summer light, the unexpected shade. And in the surrounding countryside: the winding lanes, the spring water, the deep green of the old trees and the luscious gardens of the mansions, rich in charm and poor in maintenance. And the young women swaying on their bicycles, fading into the horizon.
As for other nominees, I have done better this year than I usually do, having seen Dunkirk, Lady Bird, The Shape of Water, and Call Me By Your Name. I have yet to see Darkest Hour or Phantom Thread, but they are on my list.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “General Chat”