London-- BE first anniversary performance

sgv123
Ballet Girl

London-- BE first anniversary performance

Post by sgv123 »

I have been following BE for about 3 years now and as I look forward to the Broadway 1st anniversary performance I got to wondering-- for those that attended the London 1st anniversary performance:

1) Did you know ahead of time that the 3 originals would be doing the show?
2) Was it sort of confusing or distracting when the boys switched?
3) What sort of speech( if any) was made at the beginning of the performance?
4) How would you describe the performance?

I have been interested about this particular performance for a while now and I would love to hear more about it.

Thanks!
Oct. 2008-Dec.. 2010
Billy:Trent x5 Kiril x3* David x1*Tommy x2 Joseph x1
Michael: David x4 Frank x3 Keean x2 Trevor x2 Neil x1
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Re: London-- BE first anniversary performance

Post by johnnyc »

sgv123 wrote:
1) Did you know ahead of time that the 3 originals would be doing the show?
2) Was it sort of confusing or distracting when the boys switched?
3) What sort of speech( if any) was made at the beginning of the performance?
4) How would you describe the performance?
I was there, so I will try to answer your questions. Yes, members of the old forum were told well in advance that James, George and Liam would be performing on 12 May 2006. We got the word around mid-March 2006.

For us fans, no, the switches were not confusing or distracting. We knew the three would be doing different scenes and we looked forward to seeing who would appear when. Each boy ended up doing scenes he was particularly skilled at - James Lomas The Letter Reprise; George Maguire Angry Dance; Liam Mower Dream Ballet and Electricity. There were times when two or all three boys appeared on stage together. We marveled at how seamlessly the transitions were handled.

Stephen Daldry gave a nice speech from the stage before the performance, telling the audience that the original Billys would take turns, and mentioning that they had won the Olivier Award for best actor in a musical. Of course he said more, but those remarks were the highlights I remember.

How to describe the performance. It was mind-blowing. None of us who were there will ever forget it. The most unique performance of BETM ever conceived.
PaulWilly
Ballet Girl

Post by PaulWilly »

It was mind-blowing. None of us who were there will ever forget it. The most unique performance of BETM ever conceived.
I was there as well - and I can only underline what johnnyc said: One of the most fantastic theatre nights in my life ever - and so I never have changed my avatar, what shows the end of the 12 May 2006 first anniversary Finale with all three Original Billys on stage together with Elton John - and the house got totally mad...
sgv123: I'll send you a PM with the wording of Stephen Daldry's speech and some more details. ;) 8-) 8-) 8-)
“It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

The transitions from one Billy to the other were genius!

For example:

George did the Winter Scene with Brad (the old one where Billy teaches Michael some ballet moves) and began the Dream Ballet number by spinning the chair, at which point, Liam appeared and seamlessly took over the spinning from him.

At the start of the Toilet Scene, Liam went into the stall, and George came out to receive Debbie's offer. I got a good view of that one, since I was seated high in the Dress Circle. Liam climbed over the back of the toilet, and George climbed in to take his place.

The funniest one was the ballet lesson scene, which involved several changes of Billys throughout, ending with all three of them onstage when Dad enters to find himself looking at not one, but three, Billys and asking "What's going on here?" :lol: :lol: Then James went off running in one direction, and George in the other, leaving Liam to stand up to Dad.

Another funny thing I remember was Express with James and Brad. At the point where the boys do "Lipstick, tiara..." (not in the B'way version), and "Oh you look gorgeous!...Why thank you, darling!", Brad commented, "Christ, Billy, your voice has gotten LOW!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I differ a bit with johnnyc as to when we knew that the show would involve all three Billys, because I had already planned a trip to be in London for the first forum outing on May 4, but I was supposed to leave for home on the 8th. When it came out that all three would be doing the show, I paid to change my air and scrambled to get a ticket for the show,which was not that easy at that point. Since I had extra days to hang around, I went to Cornwall in the interim. Haven't been back there since, but am planning to go again for this anniversary trip. Can't wait! :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

I was wrong as to the date we first knew about the 12 May performance. I was looking at what I thought was my airfare purchase for that time. But what I was seeing was an earlier purchase for a planned trip to London on May 31. Looking closer, all of the purchases (show tickets,airfare, insurance, Gatwick Express) for the 1st birthday show I have a record of are dated between 9 March and 20 March 2006. Based on these records, we must have been made aware that the three Billys would share the performance in early March 2006.
sgv123
Ballet Girl

Post by sgv123 »

Thank you all for your wonderful responses! I really wish that I could have attended. From all of your details, it sounds like it was such a clever and whitty performance. As most of you have said , nothing will ever come close to matching that performance, I still look forward to see what is in store for next week. Does anyone have any idea what sort of performance Daldry has come up with for the 13th?
Oct. 2008-Dec.. 2010
Billy:Trent x5 Kiril x3* David x1*Tommy x2 Joseph x1
Michael: David x4 Frank x3 Keean x2 Trevor x2 Neil x1
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

I think I saw a post in the old forum the theatre was phoning people up to warn them it would be a gala performance and did they still want the tickets! a most wonderful night. I can either post a review of the show or pm me and I will send yu details please have patience if I don't reply broadband down for nearly a month with odd periods of it being on usually late at night!
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Please re-post your review, Jen. I would really like to read it and reminisce. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Gala Performance 1st Birthday

What a fantastic time was had by all. You could feel the atmosphere as soon as you got to the theatre. A queue of the younger cast members were outside the theatre obviously on a high the chaperones were trying to get them all into the theatre without losing any on the way. Ticket front row of upper circle. Haven’t sat here for a long time but you did get a very good overall view of the stage if you can only afford a cheap ticket go for this first time round then try front row of stalls. People have given very detailed reviews so will post some random observations hope they all make sense.

I managed to miss James and George running around at the beginning also when they were sceneshifters etc during ballet school auditions. The ballet girls were great they really pushed George around a lot. It would take a very brave boy to stay in a class with that lot! Hope the girls in the boys own ballet classes were a bit nicer! George responded to the pushing around with lots of wonderful glares. Not sure quite how long George waited to reply in the f**ny scene but it was a long time! Loved George’s interaction with Haydn when she gave home the tape. You could really feel the sadness for a young boy who missed his Mum and the cuddles and affection that she gave him. Then angry dance was fantastic I had forgotten quite how good it was also how graceful and fluid George was with his ballet. Liked the spontaneous cuddles when he got his acceptance of his place at the ballet school. Would like to have heard his sing a bit more. George is a very talented actor but we mustn’t forget his singing and dancing talents. I felt that he hadn’t altered all that much since I last saw him on Dec 3rd and still didn’t look out of place playing the part.

I felt James had altered most of the Billy’s he just looked so much more grown up. He seemed to have filled out. His acting skills were superb and he did the reply in such a sensitive way. He seemed quite overcome with emotion at the end. I loved expressing yourself the tap was spot on and they both seemed to have such fun. I always like Brad as Michael he always plays him with a lot of depth. It was a shame that we didn’t get to see some of Jame’s superb gymnastic skills.

Liam was as fantastic as ever he seems to grow a bit every time I see him but is still able to carry of the part of a young teenager. I loved his grin at the end of electricity it was a big as George had at the same time on his official last night. I just don’t know how he put in such a consistent high standard all the time. His ballet is so superb it would be a great shame if he didn’t return to the royal ballet.

Overall a wonderful evening wish I could see it all over again so that I could see the bits I missed.

I went with a friend who was seeing it for the second time, she saw it in August and slough she enjoyed it she wasn’t widely impressed however by the interval she decided that is must have been an of evening for the cast on her first viewing as she now thought it was wonderful.
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
PaulWilly
Ballet Girl

Post by PaulWilly »

This encourages me to post more in detail (from my archive, ha-ha) the flow of that unforgettable theatre night - mainly for reminicence of those who were so lucky to attend: (had already sent it by PM to sgv123)

BETM Gala 1st anniversary show 12 May 2006 - who did what:

Billy: James & George & Liam
Tony: Chris Lennon
Michael: Brad Kavanagh
Dead Mum: Stephanie Putson
Dad: Phil Whitchurch
Older Billy: Isaac James
Mrs. W: Haydn Gwynne
Mr. B: Alex Delamere
Debbie: Brooke Havana Bailey
George (Boxing-Teacher): Paul Broughton
Grandma: Ann Emery

Speech of the Director, Stephen Daldry - brilliant! (And fantastic change-overs between the 3 Billys throughout the show!)

Act I
* Opening (The Stars Look Down) - Liam
Amazingly all three Billys could be spotted very briefly among the children chasing each other at the very beginning, but then Liam walked in behind Dad and did the "Take me up". (He went off with the Miners, and when the bed came up, George was already on)

* Breakfast Scene / Boxing Scene / Shine - George
George with a more mature voice now, but still a very reliable Billy - cheeky, impish, angry as ever - and his acting, just great - you can feel his love and care for grandma! He always pushes back when pushed by the ballet girls, and tickles them with that large feather - and very funny moves in the boxing scene. James joined George doing some slow-motion “arabesque”-pantomimes in white spotlight after Shine (totally synchronized and very beautiful), after which George stepped aside, looked like a control check at James still in position, smiled, gave him the thumbs up and James carried on. Extra-applause for that.

* Grandma's Song / Solidarity Part I - James
James clearly has outgrown the role and now quite a deep voice - but what fun, and still the sensitive actor! (And later his tap-dancing, just as great as ever.) James then exited in the middle of Solidarity part I by the back door and George came in across the front of the stage simultaneously (on “come on Rudolph Nureyev” - extra-applause) and did the spins across the stage.

* Solidarity Part II (from the spins across stage up until the final pirouette section) - George
Most impressive, when George’s cheeky, impish, angry “working class- / miner’s son” Billy “from next door” first gets to that full upright position (that arabesque with “elbow, wrist, tummy, chin” - near to the end of “Solidarity I”), and the whole audience of the VP gets absolutely quiet and stunned, because everyone feels this sudden change: that this “street-kid from next door” shows within seconds all the potential of a wonderful ballet-dancer, and everyone discovers that surprising grace in it - no other Billy has that effect to this utmost extend! Changeover to Liam just before the final pirouette.

* Solidarity Part III (final pirouette section) - Liam
James and George joined Liam on stage for the finish of Solidarity, jumping in from the wings from both sides exactly with the ending of Liam’s pirouette, all of them wonderfully synchronised into that upright “arabesque” position (and the audience therefore in ecstasy!!) - after which Dad said: "what the hell is going on here!” (Very funny, as he was seeing 3 Billys…) - and George and Liam shouted 'run', leaving James on stage.

* Mrs W-Billy toilet scene / Expressing Yourself / Confrontation Dad-Tony - James
What a great fun that was, Brad in best-form - and that now quite handsome youngster James with extra-deep voice and in strangely coloured women’s clothes - ad-lib by Brad: “Oh, your voice has gone deep, Billy!” And the most fantastic tap-dancing I have seen in EY so far! Ovations!! Then, after the confrontation scene, James shouted 'stop it' and ran up the first part of the stairs, where Liam was obviously hiding on the backside and carried on in one synchronized move - in the dark it looked as if James was just going up and laying himself on the bed - but when he then opened his mouth we realized he somehow had changed into Liam - a real magic - most amazingly done!!!
* The Letter / Born to Boogie - Liam
Moving letter scene of this a bit more introvert Billy, and a great boogie - have never seen Liam that excited before! Great jump from the piano to upright standing - the two adults destroyed to his feet! Liam then went into the toilet after that, where George was obviously hiding, who took over the scene.

* Debbie-Billy Toilet Scene / Confrontation Dad, Tony, Mrs W / Angry Dance / end of Act I - George
Very funny that “f**ny” scene with George waiting quite a while with his reply - And then his Angry Dance - how can one express so much frustration, rage and anger in a dance - just: wow!!! Just listen to it on YouTube - the audio part of the following is from that 1st anniversary show:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=iBdUrRhSUEs
Shouts from the audience: “Go on George!” from the very beginning (one of them: Travis!). The first full standing ovation!

Act II
* St. Claus / Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher / Deep into the Ground / Winter Scene - George (with still great singing voice at the end of "Deep...")
Great interaction of George and Brad on the Winter Scene then - always “his” Michael in earlier days… And Brad’s ad-libs like: “How is it, Billy, when you are NOT dancing?” (like that famous question in Electricity) - and meant was of course George himself - his reply: “Crap!” - moving!

* Swan Lake - Liam
The switch from George to Liam was exquisitely done: as the music was playing from the radio, George was sitting on the chair staring at the ground. He then stood up, proceeded to change the music, picked up the chair, went with ballet steps into ballet pose, and started spinning it. Then Liam walked onto the stage from stage left with ballet steps towards George, took position opposite him, and George gracefully handed it while spinning to Liam, also in ballet pose - both illuminated by white spotlights (extra enthusiastic applause!), and both of them smiled at each other so lovingly - with George waiting there till Liam proceeded to dance Swan Lake (and then George went off in ballet pose with ballet steps.) The dancing was spectacular as always and well synchronized, and Liam got a well deserved lasting ovation.

* Audition and Electricity - Liam
Liam gave his All in Electricity - and maybe was a bit overdoing - and then the fastest pirouette I had ever seen before his Last Night, but he wobbled a bit before stand-still at the end. But of course he got his so well deserved lasting standing ovation at the end! (The funny joker as ever, George came on in the audition scene dressed up as one of the stage hands to move a speaker!! And a few have even discovered James as well as a stage hand cleaning the snow away!)

* Billy-Michael after the audition / Receiving the Letter from the Royal Ballet School - George
Funny as always, that “William Elliot is queer” - George then handed the letter to James at the end of that scene and James read it again.

* Mrs W Goodbye Scene / Once we were Kings / The Letter Reply - James
Excellent moving interaction with Haydn - she was in tears really, excellent singing of the reply, all very emotional, lots of tears! James had done this final farewell now for the third time: 17 Sep 2005 when he had to finish because of voice break, then 07 Jan 2006 after he had been invited back during that little crisis of Liam, and now unexpectedly a third very final farewell - what a rollercoaster of emotions for this so sensitive young lad! George and Liam joined James at the aisle - all three dressed in their parkas and with suitcases, and they all turned round at Michael's 'Oi, Dancing Boy!' before James jumped up and delivered the kiss. Thereafter the three of them marched up the aisle together, James in the lead with tears running down his face, and the other two side by side behind him - somehow just their faces illuminated by a low spotlight - very moving!!!

Finale
* The Finale was led mainly by George
And nearly all the house supported him early on with “Go on, George!” and with handclapping, with Liam and James joining in the middle section (then leading three groups of Ballet Girls, Miners and senior cast) and with Liam in the middle for the ending section (as the only one still in the show), and all three Billys high up in the air at the end of it - and after that they changed back to their “normal” approach with George in the middle.

* Obligatory Happy Birthday song led by Sir Elton John and short nice speech.

* Final Billys Dance by the three Billys, supported by all cast - and Elton tried to join in…
And the house was going mad really already from the beginning of the finale, but now standing all the time - and absolutely in hysterics!!!

And with all these complicated unusual change-over things etc, the perhaps most stunning was that nothing, absolutely nothing went wrong. Real and great Pros!!
“It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not

Return to “Archive”