Tall & Small Boys

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Tall & Small Boys

Post by Billy Whiz »

Small Boy Elijah Barker and Tall Boy Spencer Davis Milford at the stage door after the first preview show.

Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Re: Tall & Small Boys

Post by mrmikerocks »

Both small boys and Spencer do a great job.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

Spencer is very nice. I met him tonight. I would assume he is a cardinals fan as he asked me who won the game tonight.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

Why don't they call the tall boy Kevin? Or the posh boy Thomas?
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Not sure I understand your question. But I think you are asking why the tall boy is called "Tall Boy" instead of "Kevin/Thomas/Ensemble." That's a good question, since, for example, the ensemble member who plays the scab/posh dad is credited as "Posh Dad/Scab/Ensemble."
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

ERinVA wrote:Not sure I understand your question. But I think you are asking why the tall boy is called "Tall Boy" instead of "Kevin/Thomas/Ensemble." That's a good question, since, for example, the ensemble member who plays the scab/posh dad is credited as "Posh Dad/Scab/Ensemble."
That was exactly my question. Since the tall boy is referred to as Kevin and Thomas why isn't he listed as that. I mean the scab i don't think is every referred to by a name other then scab same as posh dad. Just random thoughts i had. haha
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

mrmikerocks wrote:Why don't they call the tall boy Kevin? Or the posh boy Thomas?
I have always felt tall boy is more of a generic character who represents all of the boys in town in Billy's and Michael's age bracket. He is Kevin, son of the scab, in the opening scene, and also in Act 2 where he spits on Tony. In other places I think he is just another one of the boys.

In "Once We Were Kings" he is holding up a sign that says something like "United we stand. Divided we fall in the end." I don't think the boy who is the scab's son and spits on Tony would be holding such a sign.

Also since the names Kevin and Thomas are each mentioned just once I doubt if the audience would remember them. Likewise the ballet girls aren't listed in the program by their character names either.
:/
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

I read one time where they asked Stephen Daldry what he was most surprised about regarding how BETM has turned out. You expected him to say something like, "I never imagined it would turn out so well" or "It's become more successful than I ever hoped." But instead he said - probably somewhat with tongue in cheek: "I'm most surprised, I think, that the names we started out with in the rough draft of the script - such as small boy, posh boy, dead mum, etc. - ended up still being used in the finished version of the show !"
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

CJ-Rochester wrote:
mrmikerocks wrote:Why don't they call the tall boy Kevin? Or the posh boy Thomas?
I have always felt tall boy is more of a generic character who represents all of the boys in town in Billy's and Michael's age bracket. He is Kevin, son of the scab, in the opening scene, and also in Act 2 where he spits on Tony. In other places I think he is just another one of the boys.

In "Once We Were Kings" he is holding up a sign that says something like "United we stand. Divided we fall in the end." I don't think the boy who is the scab's son and spits on Tony would be holding such a sign.

Also since the names Kevin and Thomas are each mentioned just once I doubt if the audience would remember them. Likewise the ballet girls aren't listed in the program by their character names either.
You make valid points. I guess the small boy and tall boy are just not certain characters but the role they play is all boys and not just certain characters. I found it odd that Kevin was the scab son as he was obviously against the scabs. Spencer does play the part really well. as do Mark and Elijah as the small boy. i bet once the show is over Mark and Elijah never eat suckers anymore.

Return to “Cast - Chicago”