Name this movie

A place for all games
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Name this movie

Post by patc »

I wasn't sure whether this should go in Chat or Games but decided on the latter.

What is the name of this movie and who is the BETM "connection"?

A BETM "connection" plays a role (you'd never expect) and does his own amazing and dangerous stunts.

Filmed in Ireland - standing in for England (clue, made in the 1970's but regularly shown on TV) - with two major stars in the main roles, one of whom himself performed what are possibly the most dangerous stunts ever done (or allowed to be done) by a high-profile actor. Jaw-dropping stuff that would make the CGI wimps cry in terror. :D

In the USA one word from the film's title was dropped.

The movie's director was the author of the book on which the movie was based.

Pat
James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Name this movie

Post by James.R »

A really good one to start Pat!
Excellent.

I'm going to say.....The (First) Great Train Robbery.
And the connection.....Wayne Sleep

I suppose that means I have to think up one now?

James
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Brilliant, James. Pass GO and collect 200 x B15’s. :D

When it was being filmed here in the 70’s I was aware that Seán Connery and Donald Sutherland were in town and that Kingsbridge (now Heuston) station was a location (was supposed to be London Bridge and the signs were on the wall). I went down to have a look but they were not working that day. The office set in the station was still there but nobody was allowed up there. The old steam engine and carriages were on the middle track but was not steaming.

The “Folkestone “ station is actually Glanmire (now Kent) station in Cork. (IMDB says "Brighton" but the Folkestone sign is clearly shown in and mentioned in the film)

I saw the film twice when it subsequently came to Dublin. I have to admit that I don’t think I had heard of Wayne Sleep until BETM but, then, I am not a balletomane. (I’ve often wondered how Jackie Elliot knew about him and that he was "as bent as a nine-bob note")

I didn’t see the film again until recently on MGM HD and noticed 'wor Wayne on the credits playing the role of “Clean Willy”.

Those stunts by him and especially Connery really were as amazing as ever to watch after all these years.

For more details see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079240/

It wasn’t in my mind that a continuing game could go on here but, sure, why not?

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Pat, where were you in your 'youth'? As well as being in many ballet productions, of course, Wayne Sleep was hardly off the television screens in the 70s and 80s. He made many appearances in Saturday night entertainment programmes and also made it into the Royal Variety Show on occasions. I am sure that the miners of Easington would have heard of him.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

dancingboy wrote:Pat, where were you in your 'youth'?
:D :D
Well, I didn't watch much TV in them there days (too busy outdoors :D ) and, if I was, it would have been different channels to those wot you say Wayne was on but I take your point about what the miners of Easington would have been watching.

Pat
James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by James.R »

A movie.....

So this is a black and white wartime comedy from a favourite entertainer of the time who was often to be seen in front of the red curtain entertaining the variety audiences like his namesake - and although he was known by his father’s name that wasn’t in fact his real surname.

The star playing two roles (one an opera singer from south of Cancun and the other from not far from Manchester) and serenading a ‘certain’ barlady (real name Travers, character name Dean). The star’s character’s father played by a certain Lomas.

Also on the cast list are Swifty and Slappy..but it all turns out nice in the end….
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

''Turned Out Nice again'' with George Formby
James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by James.R »

Warm but no ukulele....

J
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

'South American George' with George Formby and Linden Travers (1941)
James.R
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by James.R »

and the BETM connection...? (aside from all those cast names that is)
J

Return to “Games”