September 2010 Reviews - Chicago

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: September 2010 Reviews - Chicago

Post by CJ-Rochester »

My thanks as well for the excellent and detailed review chi-towngirl. :)

Interesting that the two line changes are I believe the only two occasions where Billy says the f-word. I wonder if Marcus (or his parents) have a problem with some of the language in the show. Perhaps the change was made to accommodate this concern?
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I thought that as well.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

They started taking the two f words out of the show on Friday night. Cesar did not say either f word, Marcus did not on Saturday or JP on Saturday. Not a fan of the deletion as well.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

CJ-Rochester wrote:My thanks as well for the excellent and detailed review chi-towngirl. :)

Interesting that the two line changes are I believe the only two occasions where Billy says the f-word. I wonder if Marcus (or his parents) have a problem with some of the language in the show. Perhaps the change was made to accommodate this concern?
The other times the f word is used is when Billy first sees Michael in a dress. Also during the angry dance the f word is used several times.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

chi-towngirl wrote:Saturday 9/18 matinee

Letter: Marcus was so excited for his Star Track Annual! Then he was rummaging in his bag, digging around, pulled almost everything out... no baked beans. Had to skip immediately to packet of soup. They didn't miss a beat, but it does throw off the humorous "how are we going to make up a dance about baked beans and a packet of soup?" Oh well, they just kept going. Marcus has a nice singing voice and can hit the high notes with ease. He had an interesting take on the scene with Mum-- during their whole interaction, he was very absorbed in their "world". He didn't break from it until Mrs. W sings "Mum", that ends the song. When she spoke he sort of jumped, like she had startled him out of his trance-like imagination, and it took him a second to get his bearings.
It was a rough day for the letter scene. As chi-towngirl mentioned what happened in the matinee show. During the saturday evening show, just before JP goes up to his room after his brother and dad fight, the packet of soup falls off the counter and the scenery cover it up. JP looks for it on the counter but its not there. Emily Skinner and JP have to ad lib as the packet of soup is part of the scene. he brings out the rubics cube, the star trek annual and the baked beans. Then she say's is there anything else? and the rest they had to ad lib since the packet of soup was missing. I could tell you most people didn't notice the ad lib but since i have seen it enough I knew. they did a good job with the ad lib. I guess that's live theater for you. btw JP is amazing as well. another tangent, I went to the stage door after the show and there was this mass of girls and guess who emerges from this mass none other then Dillon Stevens. What a chick magnet. lol. JP was very accommodating as there was a good amount of fans wanting pictures and autographs as well.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

mrmikerocks wrote: The other times the f word is used is when Billy first sees Michael in a dress. Also during the angry dance the f word is used several times.
Good point. The point when Billy first sees Michael in a dress is probably one of the times when that word is most appropriate. ;)
:/
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

I think the two other times he says it also show his character and how he really is. I am not sure why it was taken out at all.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

Friday, Sept. 17, 2010 (Cesar and Dillon)
Sunday Sept. 20, 2010 (Tommy and Keean)
An extended trip left me in Chicago over the weekend and my chance to see my 10th and 11th shows in a little less than two years (7 in NYC and 4 in Chicago and a total of 8 Billys/5 Michaels). A few thoughts from both shows:

Cesar as Billy was superb. His acting was spot on including his wait time on many lines- including his scene with Debbie in the bathroom and when he tells his dad off in the dancing class. His dancing in all respects was awe inspiring to watch. There was loud applause for Express and Angry Dance. Electricity received one of those two level reactions- at first very loud as Cesar finished and then thunderous the he stood soaking it all in.
Cesar is truly a gifted performer.

Dillon has settled in like a seasoned pro in the role of Michael. His singing and speaking voice are clear and enjoyable to listen to. Hilarious is the word to describe his Michael. The pure excitement in his face as he shows Billy the dresses says it all. I hope Dillon has a long run in the role. He is another gem in the list of Michaels.

This was my first time seeing Keean and the role is one he has mastered. I could hear people talking about his perfect performance both at intermission and at the end. His delivery and timing is spot on in every scene. I can’t not wait to see what acting or dancing challenge he will face next.

The rest of the cast impressed me how much they had grown into their roles since last seeing them in May. Armand now is Billy's father. it no longer feels like he is acting. Emily as Mrs. W is a joy to watch. Her expressions in scenes when Billy is questioning his participation and the letter scene are memorable. Her final scene on Sunday with Tommy left many teary eyes in the audience. Her voice was emotional as she finished her final few words. Broadway will be a lucky recipient next month.

Both Patrick as Tony And Cynthia as Grandma are now one with their roles. They have grown from being very good to excellent.

What a grand performance by Tommy. His voice is still in perfect pitch and I could detect no evidence of any lower key or breaking yet. His acting both while he is speaking or singing is equally matched when he is not the center of attention. He is always in character and acts out every scene with facial expressions and subtle movements. He leaves one mesmerized and it is hard not to just watch him throughout the performance. His Angry Dance left the audience in shock but they came right back with enthusiastic applause and yelling. Electricity provided long and loud clapping and shouts of acceptance that brought a big smile to Tommy’s face. I had met my aunt at the theater and she said Tommy’s acting was the best she had ever witnessed from a child actor, “His eyes were so expressive and told a story all by themselves.”

Extras:
Cesar slipped for a moment during "express" just as he and Dillon were getting into the tapping. He stopped, smiled as if to say "I can't keep up with you." and then got right back in sync with Dillon. A very veteran like move and if new to the show you would never know it was not intentional.

No early departees so Cesar had clear sailing returning to the stage. Tommy had one couple to maneuver around but slid by them with no problem.

About 25-30% empty seats on Friday night. I was able to get a left side obstructed view ticket for $25 just a few hours before show time. Sunday was much fuller and I had a middle second row orchestra seat providing me with a perfect view.

As previously mentioned the Billy’s eliminated the F word except in his response to Michael's dress. No other cursing has been removed that I could tell from the Michaels or in Billy’s milder word choices.

After the final curtain Sunday you could hear a song and then celebration as the cast bid Emily goodbye.

Stage door Sunday was like a B.E. Pez dispenser as the entire cast was there to wish Emily good luck. Tommy popped out first (with a plate full of half eaten cake), followed by Keean, Cesar, Marcus, J.P., Dillon, Spencer, etc. I had an opportunity to talk with both Keean’s and Tommy’s family and they were gracious with their time and happy that I was a returning customer. Keean and family just got back from my home state and hiked up one of the 14,000 foot peaks.

I stayed at The Wit hotel and recorded the Billy 45 second wake-up call. Very funny. I will try and post it later in the AV section

The show leaves me with an upbeat feeling every time. I am actually sad though to see each scene unfolding so quickly because I know that too soon it will be over. I am close to Chicago during Tommy’s reported last day and may have to make an effort to see him one final time.
tbd
Small Boy

Post by tbd »

After the final curtain Sunday you could hear a song and then celebration as the cast bid Emily goodbye.
Great reviews, two notes: I believe the traditional song for departing cast members is "Happy Trails" -- the one song I don't think anybody's ever recorded the cast singing and I'm not sure what theater etiquette is on this. I also believe the cast was bidding adieu to Blake as well as Emily.

Ed

Next show: 10/10/10
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

I hadn't realized this was Blake's last show until finally reading the boards. He should be excited about returning to New York and his new endeavor. And yes, that was the song they were singing. Thanks Ed for the reminders and update.

Return to “Reviews - Chicago”