November 2010 Reviews - Chicago

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

November 2010 Reviews - Chicago

Post by Billy Whiz »

A place for November's reviews.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
KR200
Small Boy

Re: November 2010 Reviews - Chicago

Post by KR200 »

Just a few comments...

November 10, 2010 (Mat)

Billy: JP
Michael: Dillon
SB: Elijah
Other: Kayla King -Alison Summers, normally played by one of my favorites, Brionna Trilling

I was excited to see JP's name on the board, as I have not seen him in a while. I will say, wow, JP has really grown with this role. I was blow away with him. His dancing was much more polished than in previous shows, and his acting/singing has improved as well. JP is truly coming into his own as a "senior" Billy in the Chicago production.

I will say, if we are going to talk about the greatest Billy/Michael pairs, JP/Dillon deserve a mention. These two have great energy and really play off of each other well. One thing, I've noticed about Dillon is that he sings in a lower voice so the mic doesn't always pick him up very well. Dillon was in top form though today and gave a great performance. He is another one that has really grown with this role. I thought his prior shows were great as far as comedic timing, but lacked with the vunerability of Michael. That is no longer the case.

One funny thing that happened during the tutu scence was that when Dillon was pulling up the tutu, he ripped one of the straps. He said something along the lines "It broke AND it's a bit small." It as funny watching him dance around with the ripped tutu!

Side note: I did get to see a few members of the children's cast I hadn't seen before. Kennedy, the new TB, seems to be meshing well with cast. He will do well filling the fantastic shoes of Spencer. SB Elijah has some great delivery of his lines. He drags out certain parts of the lines that make them really funny (Kuuuuuuuuush, Jeeeeeeeesus). Kayla did a great job in as a swing, not missing a step. Although I did notice they still have her in the old version of the tutu's and made her stand out a little (The old ones are the ones those that shoot out straight from the waist, where the new ones hang straight down a bit more).
Chicago
Billy: Giuseppe x1, JP x2, Marcus x2, Tommy x1, Cesar x2
Michael: Keean x4, Dillon x3, Jack x1
Debbie: Maria x8, TB: Spencer x6, Kennedy x2, SB: Mark x6, Elijah x2

NYC
Billy: David Ax1, Tanner x1, Trent x1
Michael: Keean x1, Frank x2
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I saw this same show where the strap broke on Dillon.....I want to add....Dillon Stevens is brilliant.....what a star .......Keean Johnson is brilliant....these two are really awesome....
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Confirm both observations. I was sitting center row D, and particularly agree that JP has made such advances in his presentations...I admit I was never excited to see him perform along the way, but now feel he can match any Billy coming down the pike. I spoke to him following the show and told him that he just gave his best performance ever. I saw his debut last March, and Wednesday's just was so far superior that you would never have thought it was the same guy. By the way, that was the largest crowd I had seen at a matinee...or for that matter for a Tues-Wed nite performance in some time. I also thought they were really into the show, and gave a reception for JP I also could not remember him receiving before. Kudos for him.
Spencer is in a class by himself. Anyone who doesn't recognize an exceptional showman in that kid has to be out of their mind. He handled the broke strap like a true pro. I was holding on to see his reaction...and everything he said and did, was perfect. What a star. Can't wait to see him again...I'll be seeing the show 10 more times before it closes. Can't wait. Regards, Colin
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

cws8998 wrote:Spencer is in a class by himself. Anyone who doesn't recognize an exceptional showman in that kid has to be out of their mind. He handled the broke strap like a true pro.
I assume you meant Dillon here . . . unless Spencer made a special return engagement as an emergency fill-in as Michael !
KR200
Small Boy

Post by KR200 »

One more thing about this show that I hadn't noticed before in the Chicago show...

When the boys run up the aisles to open the second act, usually they run so quick by, you barely notice. This show they seemed to be playing into the audience more. Dillon walked through the row (empty seats on the end) and went up to a couple with his bucket asking for donations for the miners. If I would have been quicker I could have given them a donation. I've never seem them do this before so I wasn't ready! I know on Broadway, people are able to slip them a donatation from time to time.
Chicago
Billy: Giuseppe x1, JP x2, Marcus x2, Tommy x1, Cesar x2
Michael: Keean x4, Dillon x3, Jack x1
Debbie: Maria x8, TB: Spencer x6, Kennedy x2, SB: Mark x6, Elijah x2

NYC
Billy: David Ax1, Tanner x1, Trent x1
Michael: Keean x1, Frank x2
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Thank you Todd, for my stupid oversight. I meant to say "Stevens" there and don't know why the hell I didn't just use his first name, Dillon. Would have saved myself the embarrassment. Appreciate your covering for me. Will try to be more careful in the future. Regards, Colin
chi-towngirl
Audience Member

Post by chi-towngirl »

Sunday, 11/14, Keean's last show

Billy- Cesar
Michael- Keean
Mrs. Wilkinson—Anne Tolpegin

I wasn’t even planning on writing a review of this show, I just wanted to sit back and soak up the performances and emotions that I knew would be on stage today. After seeing an amazingly emotional and inspired show this afternoon, I changed my mind—so here goes.

From Keean’s very first entrance on the bike, all the ensemble on stage went out of their way to hit him on the shoulder, tap his head, or give some other sort of subtle affectionate gesture towards him. When the kids run around and play tag during Stars Look Down, same thing—I think everyone took a turn punching and slapping Keean.

The boxing scene was top notch today, no one held back. During the “John Travolta” dance Cesar was trying his hardest to make Keean laugh—crossing his eyes, making really goofy faces- and then Keean nailed him on the side of his head and Cesar went flying. A funny thing Cesar did, as he attempted to crawl away from George—usually the boys use their feet and “scoot” away on their side, Cesar flipped over on his stomach and started to “army crawl” towards the door.

This was my first time seeing Anne Tolpegin as Mrs. W— she has only been in the cast since September, so I don’t think she has done this role often. I thought she did really well- she doesn’t move or dance quite as well as others I’ve seen, but I really loved her voice for this role. The tone in her voice worked really well in Shine, where I think Mrs. W’s vocals sometimes get lost. I also thought her progression of first being very gruff with Billy to becoming affectionate in the end was both timely and believable. Her last scene with him was very heartfelt and well done. I definitely think she could carry this role.

Ok, backtracking to Express: It looks like “F**ing Hell” and “Flipping Hell” have both been cut—Today Cesar just shouted “MICHAEL!!!!!!!” One extra time, super exaggerated and drawn out. I’d have to hear it again, but I think it worked. “Flipping Hell” wasn’t really working, so now it actually fits when Michael replies “what”?
This scene was great as well, both boys just having fun with it. Keean covered Cesar in lipstick… During the shoe change I know Keean said something different during the ad lib right after “Billy wins!”, but I couldn’t make out what he had said—not the usual “you cheated”, etc., but I missed it. I think there were enough people in the audience who knew it was Keean’s last, because the end of the song as he does “Come on, I can’t hear you”, etc., the audience was shouting, cheering, yelling his name… it was a really nice moment.

Angry dance with Cesar is almost frightening in intensity. I almost worry that he will hurt himself because he is flinging himself around with such ferocity! And on a side note, the board lift is back! I haven’t seen it in since early June, so I thought it was done for…. The way Cesar commits to all of his movement is amazing to see—full out, 110% commitment in every move. Stunning.

Jumping ahead to the winter scene, Keean gave it his all. He took his time with the very first “just a little bit”, and finished it off with a little hip bump up to Cesar. He finished with a very long, drawn-out full split and excellent, painfully drawn out “nutcracker” line.

Cesar’s dancing continues to amaze—his dream ballet is smooth, graceful, and effortless. His electricity is so explosive, he can do tricks that dancers’ spend a lifetime perfecting—today especially he was repeatedly throwing in quadruple pirouettes during the fouette turn section, unbelievable.

At the inevitable end of the show, as Cesar walked up the aisle, and Keean rode onstage, the emotion on Keean’s face could break your heart. Cesar ran back up on the stage for the final kiss on the cheek, stepped back, gave his friend a long look, and as he walked away, “See ya Keean”, followed by a very choked up “Ya, see ya Cesar”. I don’t know what changed that they were allowed to say their names, but it was a perfect ending to an amazing show.

As Cesar ran back up on stage for the finale Keean was visibly emotional—Cesar stopped and pulled him in for a huge embrace. As all the performers ran off, Patrick Mulvey picked up Keean in a huge hug and carried him off the stage that way. Now for the great part…

During all of the performances during the month of November, the company has been pausing the final curtain call to make an announcement for Broadway Cares, Equity Fights Aids (BCEFA). Armand Schultz steps up and makes a quick speech about the organization and explains where the money is donated, and then announces that there are cast members in the lobby to make a donation if you wish before you leave.

Today, after the standard speech he added on, and I am paraphrasing here: “I have a special announcement, and I’m going to start getting emotional here. You have just seen a very special show, the final performance of our Michael, Keean Johnson. (At which point a very emotional Keean stepped up beside him in front of the rest of the cast, and Armand put his arm around his shoulder.) Keean has been in this show now for two and a half years, first as tall boy in the original Broadway cast, then as Michael, and then here with us in Chicago for about a year. He is a part of our family, and we are going to miss him very much, and we wish him all the best.” At this point the audience started clapping and cheering and rose to their feet, giving Keean his very own standing ovation out in front, as the rest of the cast clapped and I believe every single ballet girl on stage started crying. It was an emotional, touching, and very heartfelt good-bye to send off an amazing kid and one of the very last of the original Broadway cast. See ya Keean—Chicago will miss you, but we can’t wait to see what is in store for you next!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks KR200 for the great review.

Aso thanks to chi-towngirl for thankfully deciding to write your review of Keean's last show. I think you brought to the page all the emotion of the evening. Well done :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks chi-towngirl and also to csw8998's review posted in Keean's thread. It's great that Keean's departure was publicly recognized by the cast and that he received the extra applause. He certainly deserved it for all of his contributions to the show.
:/

Return to “Reviews - Chicago”