The theme of "hunger" in Billy Elliot

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

The theme of "hunger" in Billy Elliot

Post by ERinVA »

Okay, here's my analysis (with apologies to johnnyc ;) ) of why this bit is included.
The point of Big Davey's eating the whole thing instead of just taking a bite is to show that they are all going hungry. In the NY show, Dad says, "Oi! I PAID for that! Leave us alone will ya? You're eating us out of house and home!" This emphasizes the fact that money and food are very hard to come by, and Big Davey's wolfing down the sandwich as he does, while funny, also strengthens the point that he is not getting enough to eat. In NY, even more is made of the fact of hunger in the scene in the Miners' Welfare that follows Billy's audition. Unlike in the UK version, where they are eating sandwiches, in the NY version, Leslie is ladeling out soup from a big pot, which makes the point that the hall is functioning as a Soup Kitchen where everyone comes to get a handout of food. Also, Billy asks Michael why it is so cold in there, and Michael says, "They haven't got the money for the heatin' ." So the show makes the point of "hard times" in numerous ways throughout, and not just in the scene with the scab offering Billy money for his audition.
I made the post above in the London Reviews thread a few minutes ago, and it got me thinking about the ways "hunger" is a significant theme in the show, so I thought I would open a discussion about it.

We all know that "hunger" can represent many different things in addition to the need for food, such as greed, ambition, desire for self- fulfillment, desire for attention, craving for affection, physical attraction, etc. What are some ways you can think of that Hall and Daldry have used hunger, both literally (as above) and figuratively (as mentioned here) in the show, and how have they, and the actors who bring the story to life, shown us some of these aspects of hunger as a theme?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
burtond
Michael

Re: The theme of "hunger" in Billy Elliot

Post by burtond »

Of course there is a lovely bit in Act II involving small boy and Dad. Although it is quite a comical episode it deifnately shows Dad's compassionate side and how sensitive he actually is to the needs of others. The small boy (without food) approaches Dad who is just about to each a slice of bread, small boy looks up (no doubt with a pet lip) and Dad gives in. The annoying part about this episonde and I am not sure whether it is written in or simply played by the small boys is that the small boy does not actually eat the bread, in many cases, the small boy crumples the bread in his hands to make a ball of doughly like product which ultimately is discarded. I think it would be better if the small boy actually ate the bread or at least gave the impression he was about to eat it
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Let's talk about some other kinds of "hunger." What about the hunger for affection?

The first thing that comes to mind for me about this is Billy's hunger for the affection of his mother whom he has lost. His hunger for his mother's love is so great that it manifests itself in comforting visions of her throughout the story, but most strongly, of course, in "The Letter" and in "Billy's Reply." It also manifests itself in Billy's growing relationship with Mrs. W., especially when we see him hug her so desparately on the eve of his audition.

Of course, Billy also hungers for the affection of his dad and brother, but in the Elliots' "manly" household, affection is something that isn't shown, except in Billy's relationship with Grandma, and it is only as Dad and Tony move through their own journeys of discovery that we finally see their affection for Billy, which culminates in the wonderful "packing scene."

But Billy isn't the only character hungering for affection in this story. . .

Comments? 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Hesychius
Tall Boy

Post by Hesychius »

Interesting thread...

Mrs. W is also "hungry" for affection, although she is trying to be indifferent all the time. Kate Hennig on Broadway makes it crystal clear in the "here's your tape"-scene: When Billy hugs her, she immediately starts to cry...
Of course, Debbie hungers for affection. Having a mother that is always shouting at you, telling you to "p*** off, I'm busy", is not really heart-warming. No wonder she offers Billy in a very obvious way to approach her.
Grandma also hungers for affection; at least on Broadway. Carole Shelley can't get her hands off Billy. She uses every opportunity to touch or caress him; these are very intense moments.

Really an interesting thread...
London: Fox - 6; Tom - 4.5; Dean - 10; Ollie - 7.5; Rhys - 7; Aaron - 3; Scott - 1
New York: Jacob - 3; Dayton - 1; Michael - 2; Liam - 1; Peter - 1; Alex - 1
Charlotte: Daniel - 1; Michael - 1

50 inspiring shows

Return to “Archive”