Billy Elliot the Musical - The Movie???

rob_hanson1979
George

Re: Billy Elliot the Musical - The Movie???

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

The UK Blu Ray of Billy Elliot has that documentary about the Musical, or something similar, as a special feature. Its all about casting the original boys for the musical.
The UK Blu Ray is region free so it will work in North America as well, if you want to order it.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Daldry & Hall Talking Another BE Movie

Post by porschesrule »

According to this article in Broadway World, Stephen Daldry and Lee Hall are talking about bringing Billy Elliot back to the big screen.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/St ... n-20150306
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Daldry & Hall Talking Another BE Movie

Post by kport »

I am not sure about this. The original film is a classic; the shows are first rate; the Live DVD is a triumph. How can this franchise be improved by going, in effect, full circle? (I recall the travesty that happened to Lord of the Flies, when it was 'remade'.)

Now, a film about what happened to Michael, Dad, Tony and the others after Billy left for London might well be a topic that Lee Hall and Stephen Daldry should cover. Just how did each one survive the terrible years that followed, after Thatcher decimated the region's main source of employment?
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Not a good idea in my opinion. What is the goal? A cash grab (not saying it is)? Why mess with perfection unless they do something I've wondered about for some time, that is make a more small child friendly version without all the f words, but only if it's made to the usual perfection. Just my thoughts on the matter. :D
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Well, I'd like to weigh in then...

I've always felt that Lee Hall's beautiful story of Billy Elliot and his family and community is worth telling over and over again, in any medium possible. I have no doubt the movie version of the musical would be wildly successful, too. I completely understand the sentiments of those who feel it's best to leave it now as it is, but I respectfully disagree. Mr. Daldry has Wicked to take care of first anyway, so this will take us further down the road, when the Billy climate worldwide will be different than it is now. So yeah, bring on the movie, the ballet, and even the TV show! Great stories work well in many mediums, and Billy's story will continue to inspire however it is told.

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Playbill chips in with its version of the story.

http://playbill.com/news/article/billy- ... een-343505
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I have merged the last few posts on the subject, posted today as a new thread, into the previously existing thread on the same subject.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I for one see this as a positive. Other recent examples where going from screen to stage to screen has been successful are "The Producers" and "Hairspray". In both cases the later musical versions of the movies were quite enjoyable (at least in my opinion), while the original movies by Mel Brooks and John Waters, respectively, retained their iconic status.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

A further thought:

It is fine for Lee Hall and Stephen Daldry to muse upon this idea, but surely they need Sir Elton on board?

Or is their thought a remake of the film, sans EJ's score (ergo: who controls TRex/The Clash's rights these days?)?

If I were pressed to say who holds the veto over a 'new' film, it would be Sir Elton's company.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

This would be a movie version of the musical I'm sure and honestly I doubt any of the creatives own the rights, that would be Working title films I'm sure. Theoretically none need be involved but practically Dauldry and Hall would be...probably Elton but the music would be the least that needs be changed.

Return to “"Billy" Around the World”