Billy Elliot the Musical - The Movie???

rob_hanson1979
George

Billy Elliot the Musical - The Movie???

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Hey, not sure if anyone posted this or saw this... but there is an article on playbill.com about Stephen Daldry possibly directing the new Wicked movie...
If you read the article to the end of the 3rd paragraph, you'll see this: "Daldry's attachment is an interesting choice, as Universal is reportedly considering a film version of the musical of Billy Elliot."

For those of you interested, here is the link to the full article: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/16 ... on-Favreau

Pretty exciting to know it's at least being talked about!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Billy Elliot the Musical - The Movie???

Post by ERinVA »

This thread was started before and eventually archived since there was no more information at the time. Here's a link to the previous thread: http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... vie#p38850
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

To be honest hes been linked to ALOT of films over the years and the Billy Elliot movie musical info came out long ago throwen in with almost every movie in Working Title studio catalog...so I wouldn't hold my breath. Someone actually has to PAY for it to be made and I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Though Enders Game got made after 25years plus in development so anything is possible.
Wowzell
Tall Boy

Post by Wowzell »

I don't think a movie version of the musical would go down all that well - it would overshadow the original film, which would be a real shame as it is fantastic. If anything, I'd just like to see a filmed version of the stage show, like they did with Cats.
London: Harris x2, Adam x1, Kaine x1.

'In everything you do, always be yourself... and you always will be true'
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

I agree. It would overshadow the original and a film version of the stage play would be a great idea. It could be adapted for a film version by the creative team and they could select the "best" for the cast.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I agree. The musical is best seen live. Having said that, I have two hopes:

-that the producers commission a recording of the show, for posterity's sake if nothing else.

-that BETM (and other Broadway/West End shows) can be broadcast live to theaters, just as the Metropolitan opera does with its opera season. Perhaps an idea for Networks Presentations to consider in conjunction with the Met, the RSC and Old Vic Productions?

http://www.metoperafamily.org/metopera/ ... einHD.aspx
Wowzell
Tall Boy

Post by Wowzell »

kport wrote:that BETM (and other Broadway/West End shows) can be broadcast live to theaters, just as the Metropolitan opera does with its opera season.
The National Theatre in London started running a thing a few years ago called National Theatre Live where they screen recorded versions of their plays to cinemas - or 'theaters' - across the country. They've done it with Nick Dear's Frankenstein, and are soon going to be showing The Last of the Haussmans and The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night-Time. Also the 25th Anniversary show of Phantom of the Opera was screened in a similar way.

I think if more theatres got involved with this then not only would it be great for people that maybe can't afford to go to the theatre very often, but it would also get a whole new generation of 'theatre-oblivious' teens into the world of live theatre, which is what I've seen the media nag on about several times in the past!
London: Harris x2, Adam x1, Kaine x1.

'In everything you do, always be yourself... and you always will be true'
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

a broadcast live to theaters, just as the Metropolitan opera does-
YES YES GREAT IDEA
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

but it would also get a whole new generation of 'theatre-oblivious' teens into the world of live theatre, which is what I've seen the media nag on about several times in the past!
Absolutely agree, especially the part about keep teens (and younger) engaged. The incredible aftereffects of the Billy Elliot Youth Theatre last year should be kept alive - and bringing the musical to local cinemas would be one way to do this.

Return to “"Billy" Around the World”