Margaret Thatcher Historic Radio Speech

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Margaret Thatcher Historic Radio Speech

Post by porschesrule »

In this historic speech, Margaret Thatcher decries what she calls strike committees "a ruthless determination from a few men to create mounting chaos."

Some will recognize this as the speech that's playing over the radio in the first breakfast scene in BETM.

http://lib.flearning.cn/files/videos/on ... index.html
Westletonion
Miner

Re: Margaret Thatcher Historic Radio Speech

Post by Westletonion »

Thank you very much for bringing this historic item to our attention. I almost thought I was in the VPT for a moment!
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Government secret papers from 1984 have just been released today proving for once, that Arthur Scargill was right saying that the Tory government were prepared to close 70 pits.
Mrs Thatcher always refruited this stating that only 20 pits were to close, but the secret report released today says they intended to close 75 pits.

Barry
Katwoman
Small Boy

Post by Katwoman »

There was a fascinating programme on Radio 4 called "UK Confidential 1984" this morning which featured lots of previously secret information which has been released under the 30 year rule. There was quite a lengthy section on the miners' strike, which showed that the NCB had been economical with the truth with regard to pit closures, as Barry mentioned. There was also proof that Margaret Thatcher had interfered with and edited communications between the miners and the NCB until they suited her purposes, after she had stated that the strike was solely between the workers and their employers and that the government was not involved with any negotiations. In addition, she considered bringing in troops, ostensibly to ensure movement of supplies, but one wonders.

I have one regret about Thatcher: that we didn't have the chance to vote her out! After hearing this morning's programme, I regret it even more.

If anyone's interested, the programme will be available on the BBC i-player for the next 7 days.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

If anyone has regrets over Maggie Thatcher's legacy, they can take solace in her fall:

'Thatcher initially stated that she intended to "fight on and fight to win" the second ballot, but consultation with her Cabinet persuaded her to withdraw. After seeing the Queen, calling other world leaders, and making one final Commons speech, she left Downing Street in tears. She regarded her ousting as a betrayal.'

Her final government debate just before she resigned is revealing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv5t6rC6 ... ture=share

(watch John Major, soon to be her successor, in the background.)

You see nothing as interesting, feisty or memorable coming from any Washington debate. Nothing.

Return to “"Billy" Around the World”