What I did not like about attending Billy Elliot The Musical

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What I did not like about attending Billy Elliot The Musical

Post by ERinVA »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:
11) The woman in the front row center at the final show in Hartford who gave an "if looks could kill" glare at several of us Forum folks who attempted to move into some unoccupied seats next to her at intermission. She got up to "stretch her legs" and then coincidentally a few moments later, an usher appeared to let us know that we would have to return to our regular seats. Never mind that this sort of thing is routinely done at most every show I've been to and it's never been a problem before. Not sure why she cared if we were sitting there, since it wouldn't have affected her view. Maybe she thought we were moving from the "cheap seats" and trying to get an expensive seat like the one she had paid for. If that's the case, I'd be happy to add up the total amount of money that we regulars have spent on BETM tickets over the years and compare it to her ticket expense ! :evil: ;)
Really? How does she know those weren't your seats and you were just late? The only way she should be able to complain is if she actually bought all those seats herself.
If she was a season ticket holder, it is quite likely that the seats near hers were also designated for season ticket holders. In such a case, since these folks attend performances throughout the year and always have the same seats, they would know each other, or at least know to whom the seats "belonged." However, if her fellow sth's hadn't appeared by the intermission, she should have realized that her friends weren't going to be there that evening. But, you know, you have to keep the riff-raff out of your territory.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Rich B wrote:
angelenroute wrote: 3. It particularly annoys me when certain people feel they need to look at their loved one constantly throughout the show, as if their enjoyment of the show is not complete unless they constantly take themselves away from the show and look at their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/whatever.
Sean, when you said "certain people feel they need to look at their loved one constantly throughout the show", I wasn't thinking boyfriend/girlfriend - I was thinking "loved one" as in a smartphone. Folks, you can wait until the interval or the end of show to check your text messages. Believe me, you are not that important.
Oh I was sat behind a couple of older teenagers who were doing more then looking...I've never considered BETM THAT kind of a show, not that they saw a lot of it. :roll:
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

After cellphones ringing in the middle of shows, my biggest pet peeve is the use of the phrase "Oh that's so cute" as a description of a Billy performance. I submit that "Oh that's so cute" represents an acknowledgement of a young child making a game attempt to mimic the moves of a genuine, typically more mature, expert. But since the child does not yet possess the precision, strength, grace or coordination of the expert, the child's attempts are only a facsimile of the real thing. It's cute, but not many steps above child's play.

This is completely irrelevant for Billy. These are real professionals, highly trained and genuine expert performers. With the amount of awe and wonderment that Billy consistently inspires, there is no room for "Oh that's so cute."

Return to “"Billy" Around the World”