Freakin' Words

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Freakin' Words

Post by ERinVA »

Actually, that is one word I don't think I ever read any complaints about in connection with BETM.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Actually, that is one word I don't think I ever read any complaints about in connection with BETM.
Following on from your antepenultimate post, it is actually a pejorative word not of Anglo Saxon, but French/Latin origin:

PISS: late 13c., from Old French pissier "urinate" (12c.), from Vulgar Latin *pissiare, of imitative origin.

He shall not piss my money against the wall; he shall not have my money to spend in liquor. ["Dictionary of Brutish Slang, University Wit and Pickpocket Eloquence," London, 1811] (What a lovely title!)
[/

Note the quote's similarity to Mrs. Wilkinson's entreaty: '...piss your wages up the wall.....' BETM is folk history, writ large!

It is a term used daily in Britain; a nicer variant than 'fook off'.

Whether Latin, French or English, its one common factor is that it is clearly onomatopeic.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Bill
I am sure now of two things

1. You know a lot of big fancy words

2. You are an expert on PISS :lol:
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

jdmag44 wrote:Bill
I am sure now of two things

1. You know a lot of big fancy words

2. You are an expert on PISS :lol:
Indeed, Joe, indeed! ;)
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Speaking of words that the Dutch or Danish would have to look at closely the Broadway creatives had to look verrrrry carefully at least to one word(and a ton of cultural references), that was of course "f**ny". We have that word here but obviously means a different body part(how the hell did that happen?). It also is much more humorous and WAY less risqué. The problem is there is NO alternative in USA usage that balences being shocking AND funny, evidenced that I certainly can't even list the other possibilities beyond what they had to use which was Hoohoo, funny but not too shocking. They tried f**ny at the start but it just confused Americans. So sometimes you just CANT translate some words, and this was just bloody UK English to USA english!!!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

This reminds me of a riding lawn mower billboard which shows a smiling woman mowing the grass. The text: "We women love our Snappers". Dirty words are in the eye of the beholder. ;)
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

accessmenj wrote:This reminds me of a riding lawn mower billboard which shows a smiling woman mowing the grass. The text: "We women love our Snappers". Dirty words are in the eye of the beholder. ;)
That is true. Sometimes things have different meanings in different places.

I recall as a young teacher my parents flying over and joining my school table for lunch, straight from arriving from Heathrow. The boys were very good, and all was well until one asked my mother 'How do you feel after that long flight?' She responded with words to the effect that she was sore from sitting too long. Unfortunately, 'f**ny' means quite different things in Oxford and in Boston. I have never seen 12 year olds stifle their laughs so graciously!
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

It is funny how otherwise innocent words can take on a risque meaning, depending on how they're used. I remember a number of years ago on the Academy Awards telecast that a woman was receiving a lifetime achievement award for film editing. The presenter - a dignified, matronly woman who would certainly not have intended her words to be taken the wrong way - nevertheless drew a smattering of laughter from the audience when she praised the recipient of the award for "all of the years she has spent running film through her movieola."
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Context makes all the difference. Since "screw" is also used in normal context, we have accepted it even when it is used as a four letter word.

Remember George Carlin's "Seven words you can not say on TV" ?
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

ALL seven words can now be said on TV (Cable )

Return to “"Billy" Around the World”