MTI Acquires International Licensing Rights to BETM

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

MTI Acquires International Licensing Rights to BETM

Post by porschesrule »

Music Theatre International (MTI) has acquired worldwide licensing rights for the Tony and Olivier Award-winning musical Billy Elliot, which will debut in two U.S. regional productions this summer.

MTI president, Drew Cohen said in a statement. “We look forward to building on this success by bringing the musical to an even wider audience as regional theatres, community theatres and high schools across the country will soon have the chance to perform the show on their stages."

http://www.londontheatre1.com/index.php ... ly-elliot/
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

BETM Licensing Rights

Post by kport »

I think this article will go a long way to explain what is happening this summer regarding the regional performances of BETM at the Muny and Ogunquit. MB: there is no reference to Raleigh.

It appears to be a new licensing venture for the musical, different from the Tours and the sit down productions.

http://www.londontheatre1.com/index.php ... ly-elliot/

Regarding Music Theatre International:

http://www.mtishows.com/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MTI Acquires International Licensing Rights to BETM

Post by ERinVA »

These two posts were started as separate threads. To avoid duplication, I have merged them into one thread here.

Thanks.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

It seems that this acquisition will make the show available for production by regional theatre companies, community theatre companies, and school/college theatre departments in the US and elsewhere. As kport has noted, I think this explains the nature of the NC Theatre Company's Raleigh production.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Does anyone know whether MTI could be behind the licensing of BETM to Norway and The Netherlands' upcoming productions? Or whether there is an EU equivalent of MTI?

The same applies to the Muny and Oqunquit Playhouse Productions - the following appears on the MTI website under 'BETM':

'As of March 10, 2014 expected general release is unknown'

I note the following from MTI's Wikipedia entry:

'The company also prepares and licenses "Junior" musicals – shortened versions of popular musicals simplified, and with appropriate language for younger performers, eliminating smoking, drinking and other concepts and activities deemed inappropriate for young performers. Its most popular musical in recent years has been a stage adaptation of the Disney Channel mega-hit High School Musical. The sequel to that film, High School Musical 2, is available for adaptation as well. MTI also has a Social website for youth called MTI ShowSpace.'

Could a 'Junior BETM' be in the works?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Since my last post, several venues have been listed as being licensed to perform BETM: The Muny, La Comida, Raleigh and now Oakbrook Il. I cannot find any reference to performing right's licenses from MTI for Ogunquit, Norway or the Netherlands.

Since MTI claims to have worldwide control of licensing of BETM, can anyone shed light on an alternative arrangement that might allow these venues to give public performances of BETM? My initial hunch was that Ogunquit obtained rights before MTI came on the scene, but the Muny announced BETM about the same time, and has been listed by MTI. I would have thought that MTI would have assumed any previous licensing agreements made prior to its acquisition of licensing rights for BETM; but perhaps not.

I imagine the answer will come when Ogunquit posts more information about its production, including credits. I have a separate theory about the European ventures.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Cameron MacKintosh, who recently bought the VPT in London and now owns nine theatres there, has now bought the controlling interest in MTI (Music Theatre International), which licenses many shows around the world, including BETM.

http://playbill.com/news/article/music- ... ets-346812
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Then, he is now in charge of the company that puts on BETM in London, and the company that licenses the rights to produce it worldwide. With those interests in mind, I think the chances it may return to the Broadway stage, or an International Tour, might be improved.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

kport wrote:Then, he is now in charge of the company that puts on BETM in London, and the company that licenses the rights to produce it worldwide. With those interests in mind, I think the chances it may return to the Broadway stage, or an International Tour, might be improved.
Um I don't think he's in charge of the company putting on billy in London,,,just the theater.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Time will tell..............

Return to “"Billy" Around the World”