Options for 2014

Will "Billy" be staged all over the world? A place to discuss.
We will move posts, if starts, so has own section, like London, New York etc
rob_hanson1979
George

Re: Options for 2014

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Thom Green, Dena Caplan, and Tim Pocock are all Australian and were all on Dance Academy.
Jordan Rodrigues was also on Dance Academy and ended up in a supporting role on Camp. He's a great talent so hoping he is part of the cast next season.
Other actors may be Australian as well, since the show was filmed there. However these were the 4 stars of Dance Adacemy on Camp.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Looks more and more like Netherlands in 2014, and Denmark in 2015. And I'm hoping for Germany in 2016.

But I'm an optimist, and I have not given up on something in North America from Comcast/NBC Universal. Let's hope their Holiday Musical idea is a success.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Reasons why Billy Elliot The Musical would make a good production for NBC in 2014.

1 ) NBC has poor ratings except for "The Voice". New content is needed.
2 ) NBC has a working relationship with the World BETM tour.
3 ) NBC is producing "The Sound Of Music" in 2013 for the holiday season.
4 ) Like "The Sound Of Music":
....a)BETM has many children in singing and dancing roles. ....b)BETM is a Tony Award Show.
....c)BETM inspires children and parents alike
....d)BETM leaves everyone happy at the conclusion
....e)Most people want to view the show again
....f)The film and tours make the show known around the world
....g)There is a Christmas-time connection

5 ) Billy Elliot The Musical has followings in Canada, Great Britain, Australia, Brazil and Korea and can be sold there.
6 ) Video can be donated to PBS for a tax advantage.
7 ) Show can play again every year as a holiday tradition.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

accessmenj wrote:Reasons why Billy Elliot The Musical would make a good production for NBC in 2014.

1 ) NBC has poor ratings except for "The Voice". New content is needed.
2 ) NBC has a working relationship with the World BETM tour.
3 ) NBC is producing "The Sound Of Music" in 2013 for the holiday season.
4 ) Like "The Sound Of Music":
....a)BETM has many children in singing and dancing roles. ....b)BETM is a Tony Award Show.
....c)BETM inspires children and parents alike
....d)BETM leaves everyone happy at the conclusion
....e)Most people want to view the show again
....f)The film and tours make the show known around the world
....g)There is a Christmas-time connection

5 ) Billy Elliot The Musical has followings in Canada, Great Britain, Australia, Brazil and Korea and can be sold there.
6 ) Video can be donated to PBS for a tax advantage.
7 ) Show can play again every year as a holiday tradition.
Two quick observations:

-the International Tour should have been filmed in the summer, at its height, possibly right after Hartford. (The London show is a different production company and has no relationship with NBS/Comcast, as far as I know.) Bringing the cast together again might prove to become more and more difficult, as time passes.

-I fear NBC would 'dumb down' and sanitize the script to the point where many of us would howl with anguish and/or derision.

I am afraid that, as far as staged holiday fare is concerned, we are left with 'The Nutcracker', 'Amahl and the Night Visitors'....and now, 'The Sound of Music'.
mikey2573
Tall Boy

Post by mikey2573 »

I'd love to see another TV version of AMAHL AND THE NIGHT VISITORS. It is certainly no longer a Christmas TV tradition; the last time it was telecast was 1966, I believe. There were rumors of another TV version being made, with Audra McDonald as the Mother. That would be amazing. I am directing a production of the show this December (currently in rehearsal). It is beautiful piece and very moving. I think it is FAR more likely for a TV presentation than BETM, which has language that would make it far from family-friendly. I think those hoping for a TV version of BETM might be waiting for a long time.
ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

What about all the bad language and obscene gestures?
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

ALLMIXEDUP wrote:What about all the bad language and obscene gestures?
The bad language an obscene gestures have to be eliminated.While this would take some of the flavor away, the show is so strong that it would still be a perfect family show for modern times.
ALLMIXEDUP
Small Boy

Post by ALLMIXEDUP »

In this world, the Billy Elliot theme of acceptance of others and not judging others is a perfect musical for families. The rough language is not important.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

ALLMIXEDUP wrote:In this world, the Billy Elliot theme of acceptance of others and not judging others is a perfect musical for families. The rough language is not important.
Plus, there is so much comedy that children would like, such as Shine, Grandma's Song, the boxing scene and Express.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

ALLMIXEDUP wrote: The rough language is not important.
It is important, in terms of having any hope of getting it on television (unless it's shown on certain cable channels where language isn't filtered). It's also important to many families with younger children, who choose not to expose their kids to rough language at a young age.

Return to “Where will "BETM" play next ?”