When will BETM return to London

Will "Billy" be staged all over the world? A place to discuss.
We will move posts, if starts, so has own section, like London, New York etc
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Re: When will BETM return to London

Post by Real Geordie »

One of the performances I attended in Bristol was subtitled, with displays on each side of the stage. At first I thought these would be an annoying distraction but, even as an Englishman, I found them quite useful for clarifying some of the lyrics. Perhaps these would be a good idea more generally
Exactly the same experience I had in Cardiff. I thought it would distract from the performance. It didn’t. I also checked the text from time to time to see how they were displaying certain words - they didn’t resort to asterisks !
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

If they decided to subtitle only 300 miles away, they must have recognized the problem. It sounds like this is the solution that should be used everywhere except in the Northeast. I was surprised with the comment that the screens were not a distraction. If true, this would only be a win-win situation.
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

The sub-title screens are only available on a few selected performances and are for the benefit of those with hearing difficulties. Nothing to do with the understanding of the general audience.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Real Geordie wrote:The sub-title screens are only available on a few selected performances and are for the benefit of those with hearing difficulties. Nothing to do with the understanding of the general audience.
You are quite right about that Real Geordie. I saw these a few times at the VPT, but did find them a distraction, if you sat in certain seats and they were in your eye line.
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Let's get back on topic!

My theory is that Old Vic Productions will not put on BETM in the West End again. The company is not big enough to sustain losses for long. Its duty is a fiduciary one to its shareholders.

If it is to return, my conjecture is that the rights will be bought by a larger organisation, with a series of shows and theatres around the world. That brings to mind two men with billion-pound theatre businesses - Cameron Macintosh, and John Gore. Both own theatres in London and New York; and John Gore is the man behind Broadway World and Broadway Across America. Given a choice, I would hope for the latter, with his theatres, and the opportunity for a tour.

Just my ha'penny.....
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

kport wrote:My theory is that Old Vic Productions will not put on BETM in the West End again. The company is not big enough to sustain losses for long. Its duty is a fiduciary one to its shareholders.
The optimist in me does see it returning to the West End - either with Old Vic Productions, or with one of the other companies mentioned. I think the show has become ingrained in British culture, and the success of the tour would seem to indicate that there's plenty of interest and ticket-buyers in the U.K. - not to mention the tickets that would be bought up by tourists. Ticket sales still seemed to be quite strong towards the end of the London show, even after 11 years.

Some cost-saving changes could be made, such as not spending money on the elaborate stage reconfiguration (the rising and falling bedroom set) at whichever theater it ended up in. They could also do away with the Billy house, and do it like they did in the Broadway show, with parents/chaperones staying with the child performers.
BEF
Small Boy

Post by BEF »

It has been 1 year since Last Performance :cry:
Will BETM return to London :?: :roll:
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

BEF wrote:It has been 1 year since Last Performance :cry:
Will BETM return to London :?: :roll:
I suspect the answer will become apparent - in the short term, at least - when the UK tour ends its German finale. Either it will transition to a theatre, or it will be the end of an era. We have lived through this in the US.

Is anyone aware of a suitable theatre becoming available in the West End in the next six months? The VPT is out of the question, as Hamilton is moving into it.

Return to “Where will "BETM" play next ?”