Choreography

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
NIKKIE-NIKKIE
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Choreography

Post by NIKKIE-NIKKIE »

A chance to discuss the choreograpy of the brilliant BETM uk.
Take life with a pinch of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
ilovefoxjacksonkeen
Tall Boy

Re: Choreography

Post by ilovefoxjacksonkeen »

there is just one word for the choreography---- absolutly AMAZING! i love the dancing soo much it is just soo creative and works so well with billy elliot!
Billy Elliot <3
08/8/09- Fox
14/8/09 - Ollie
19/9/09- Fox
17/10/09- Fox
06/11/09- Fox
12/12/09- Fox
24/1/10 - Ollie
27/3/10- Fox
Fox Jackson-Keen! <3
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Agree. The choreography in the whole show is inspirational.
It goes without saying that the choreography for the Billy's is exceptional, exhilarating, simply awesome - particularly: Angry Dance, Dream Ballet and Electricity but I also thoroughly enjoy the dance numbers involving the Ensemble: Shine, Solidarity and Finale - solidarity in my view has wonderful interaction between the Police and the Miners and also incorporates the Ballet girls - this is a really complex and well thought out piece which is always well delivered by the cast - it makes me lol :D
Grandma song with the use of the slow-motion effect and those wooden chairs is also highly effective. :D :D
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

NIKKIE-NIKKIE wrote:A chance to discuss the choreograpy of the brilliant BETM uk.
I love the choreography in the Swan Lake scene, Solidarity, the Finale and Electricity (of course!)!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Not specifically about BETM's choreography, but nevertheless relevant, I think: http://www.backstage.com/bso/advice-dan ... 5778.story
"Billy Elliot," another strenuous dance show, cast no less than five young actors to handle the leading role of Billy because of the part's intense physical demands and subsequent risk of exhaustion or injury.

The ever-popular raked stage, currently used in Broadway's "Billy Elliot," may contribute to injury risk. Raked stages place performers on a tilted surface, typically sloping up and away from the audience for better viewing. One study from the Journal of Dance Medicine and Science concluded that "professional dancers performing on 'raked' (inclined) stages sustain more injuries than dancers who perform on flat stages."
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

ERinVA wrote:The ever-popular raked stage, currently used in Broadway's "Billy Elliot," may contribute to injury risk. Raked stages place performers on a tilted surface, typically sloping up and away from the audience for better viewing. One study from the Journal of Dance Medicine and Science concluded that "professional dancers performing on 'raked' (inclined) stages sustain more injuries than dancers who perform on flat stages."
[/quote]
Does the VP Theatre in London have a raked stage?
Have there been lots of injuries during the performance of BETM in London?
Anyone know?
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I believe the London one is raked as well. All the more important for those sitting down front in the stalls, as the stage is quite high. In rows A and B, you miss the feet, but I think if the stage were not raked you would miss even more.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Thanks ERinVA.
I notice that the London stage is also not sitting square (90 degrees) with the audience. Those in row A have a clearer view of the casts feet than those in Row B (front row) at the LH side as you look to the stage. This is presumably to allow for the steps allowing cast up onto the stage from the front of the auditorium.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

During a visit to Billy Broadway, thanks to Greg Jbara a small group of us were allowed to walk onto the stage. Up 'til then I had no idea that the stage was raked with a significant downward slope and my first thoughts were how do the Billys (and Tracey Atkinsons) maintain pirouettes and spins without "spinning" down the slope in accordance with gravity. I was tempted to try it out ;) :D

On return to the VPT it was amazing to discover that, despite all the shows seen, I hadn't noticed the rake before.
Having, presumably, trained on flat surfaces it must be quite a change to have to perform on a slope. All of the choreography pieces mentioned already are diamond and of very tough quality and it is a tribute to all the cast that I have never seen anyone fall to the floor that I can recall.

Some of the Michaels have looked a little unsteady on their entrance bike in their early days and I reckoned that, if you weren't used to riding a bike, performing a circular route around Big Davey in a confined space including a slope might be a bit daunting.

The choreography in the big numbers is, of course, spectacular but some of the "little ones" are gems, eg.,

Billys Spin across the stage in front of the others in Solidarity.

The clickety click of the four miners early in the finale.

The Shadow Dance.

Pat
Fishcake
Small Boy

Post by Fishcake »

Quite an old post, but I was interested by the title. Connie did say that she found it really difficult dancing with the slope at first, so I imagine the Billy's certainly would. As with most things it gets easier with time.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”