Musicians and technical crew

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
Finale
Former Admin

Musicians and technical crew

Post by Finale »

Night after night, the people who do the music, lighting and sounds etc. are EXCELLENT (as is the case usually in theatre)! Tonight I got to experience doing the lighting in a production of high school musical, which included positioning them so that they are perfect for the stage. I have to say there is a lot to the role, and it really does make a difference to the show so well done to the people who are involved with that at the VPT! In addition of course, the wonderful orchestra - nothing beats hearing the songs played live, and it is that orchestra which really helps build up the emotion during certain numbers.

So let us show our appreciation in this thread for these wonderful and talented professionals!
ITK
Tall Boy

Re: Musicians and technical crew

Post by ITK »

Also massive appreciation to the Company and Production managers. Who do an amazing, thankless job.
hammy
Ballet Girl

Post by hammy »

shadowchaser wrote:I love looking into the wings at the Finale and watching the Stage Manager dancing away :) It's so obvious that all the stage crew are enjoying themselve. Does anyone know how many stage crew there are?
I'm going to look out for this next visit (i'm sitting in the grand so it's quite easy to see the stage crew)
Leon 2/05/07, Josh 28/12/07, Corey 16/06/08, Corey 12/07/08, Layton 28/08/08, Tanner 27/12/08, Fox 4/07/09, Tom 15/08/2009, Tom (5th Anniversary show) - 31/3/2010, Rhys 21/10/10
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

Bravo to all! There wouldn't be a show if it wasn't for them.
Charlotte x
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

It used to be fun to try to spot James Lomas among the crew when he was working back stage occasionally. I caught a glimpse of him through the double doors of the stage during Maggie Thatcher once. :D

I also think it would be great to acknowledge the work of the musicians and crew in the US as well, so I am starting a thread for that.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
burtond
Michael

Musicians & Music

Post by burtond »

I say - lets here it for the Musicians and Music as well.
We all wax lyrical about the superb Actors/Actresses both Child and Adult but I am sure that we all recognise that the show is a team effort too. As a musician myself, I appreciate the invaluable contribution that the fabulously and thoughtfully scored music makes to the production and of course, it is no use having a great score if you can't secure skilled musicians to interpret it.
I have seen the show many times and will continue to support the show (thank God for the 'Day tickets!!! :D ). the music is awesome, the musicians are awesome and the sound coming from the Orchestra Pit and the performers on stage is electrifying. It's true - there isnt another musical past and present like this. It has to be the best musical production of recent times.
I have to acknowledge the enthusiasm and individuality each one of the Musical Directors brings to each performance. As with the Billy's, each one interprets the score in a different way. Its why I can come back to the show time after time - every one is slightly different. We have one guy who (in my view) embellishes the formal score with bits of extemporisation (in the form of twiddly bits - usually the top end of the piano range) - absolutely love this and it adds real value to the show; another who is quite dramatic with the conducting - but this does not distract from the action, it becomess part of it. Oh I could go on, and on but I am sure will bore everyone silly.
Good on you Musicians - keep up the good work.
See you all again next week sometime!!!! :o
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Bungie
Small Boy

Re: Musicians & Music

Post by Bungie »

Burtond. I could'nt agree more, and I will admit I'm as guilty as anyone. I'm so mesmerised by what's going on up on the stage, that I forget the valuable, skilful, essential part played by the orchestra, and its leader.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I enjoy sitting in the front row, both in London and in NY, and watching what the musicians do down there under the apron of the stage when they have a long time before their next entrance. Some read paperbacks or magazines, some text away (even though we are not supposed to have our phones on ;) ), etc. It seems so strange to see how very compartmentalized they are down there. Nobody can see anyone else except for the few people in his/her section, and they are all listening through headphones and watching the conductor on small video screens. Having played in a traditional band myself, where everyone actually watches the conductor, and everyone can see everyone else, this is so, so different that it's absolutely fascinating.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

ERinVA wrote: Nobody can see anyone else except for the few people in his/her section, and they are all listening through headphones and watching the conductor on small video screens.

Is that true of both London and NY?
Finale
Former Admin

Post by Finale »

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... ?f=8&t=772

I'll let you off though, since it is Christmas ;)

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”