The Royal Ballet scene not in NY version

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
andrewcraig
Tony

The Royal Ballet scene not in NY version

Post by andrewcraig »

burtond wrote:Monday 8th February 2010 – UK London

During the audition scene when Billy hands the cassette to the Stage Hand, Ollie has a unique reaction to Shaun Henson who portrays the role in a very camp and affected way. This reaction although only a second or two is very funny if you see it – I suppose it is just an acknowledgement of the character but Ollie has mastered it – whatever it is? - I’ve not seen this in any of the other brilliant Billy’s.

!
I think this is the funniest part of the UK version It was not included in the OZ nor in the NY version.
Personally I thought the NY version placed too much emphasis on the ballet girls in Maggie Thatcher and Royal Ballet and left out the best part. Those who only read the NY thread miss out on discussions on the differences.
They are often enlightening.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Royal Ballet scene not in NY version

Post by ERinVA »

I always enjoy watching this scene, especially "mincing pencil man" and "u-turn tape man." But I think the NY version works just as well, in fact even better, to get across why Billy is so frustrated when he comes out and throws his things on the floor. He says to Thomas, "They didn't even see me dance!" This makes better sense in light of the fact that the panel seems not to have cared enough to let him dance and to have blown him off instead.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
burtond
Michael

Re: The Royal Ballet scene not in NY version

Post by burtond »

Electricity is the answer. The performance of Electricity is at the invitation of the panel who have just questioned Billy after the kerfuffle with Posh Boy. One presumes that it was this dance and this one alone that swung it for BE.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”