Themes and sub-plots missed at first viewing

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
dongringo
Debbie

Re: Themes and sub-plots missed at first viewing

Post by dongringo »

accessmenj wrote:The theme of people, whose lives are doomed to failure, living vicariously through others is repeated throughout BETM. Mrs. Wilkinson's anger with Debby was because she did not have the talent to "Shine", but Mrs. W. could live through Billy's accomplishments. Dad and brother, once they realized that they had no future, used Billy's future as theirs. The entire town also adopted Billy's hope for the future, after the strike failed. Failure always creates the need for success, even if it is not your own.
Really good point.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Any more sub-plots and themes that were noticed after multiple viewings, so we can complete this thread?
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

The theme of anger is an obvious one (and different from the act of violence). As with any emotion, anger is handled differently by each character. When Dad and Billy arrive at the first scene in the meeting hall you can see there is already some tension between the two and Billy hasn't even put on his ballet slippers yet. Some Dad's look visibly angry as they grab Billy's arm and direct him towards his seat on the left with body language that says "Don' move."

Billy deals with his anger through dance; Tony never gets control of his anger though at the end he seems to have gotten through some his anger issues with his goodbye to Billy; Dad deals with his anger by observing and listening to others and trying to do what is right; Mrs. Wilkinson has unresolved anger issues with her daughter, and shows her anger at times towards Billy, Dad, and Tony; The whole town is angry with Maggie Thatcher's policies; Michael seems to cover up any anger he has as his emotions go back and forth from being happy and sad.

The musical Billy Elliot works so well for me because anger and various emotions come and go throughout the almost three hours. You know where it is all headed but just the same you come out of the theater like you have just experienced a roller coaster ride of emotions including happiness, exhilaration, trust, fear, surprise, sadness, distrust, and yes, anger.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Good point, gpcolo, about the emotion of anger being the primary theme that binds all the other emotions together. We all appreciate the constant change from one emotion to another, because that is real life.

Billy Elliot The Musical is more about real life than most musicals. Other musicals just break into song and dance for no apparent reason. With a few exceptions, BETM has a reason for the music that is part of the plot. From "Take me up", to "Solidarity", to "Shine", to "BTB", to "Dream Ballet", "Express", "Angry Dance", "Grandma's Song", "Merry Christmas" and "Electricity", the music fits the plot and often even makes sense.

I have heard Union meetings end with a rousing chorus of "Solidarity Forever".
All kids have danced the no-talent dance of "Take me up".
Billy's first dance lessons make sense of "Shine" and "BTB".
The vivid imagination of a pre-teen explains "Dream Ballet" and "Express".
Adolescent temper tantrums look alot like "Angry Dance".
Hallucinations of someone slipping in and out of dementia explains Grandma's Song.
The Christmas Pageant normally has singing.
And finally, "Electricity" is Billy's practiced routine that he needs to show the school officials.

Some suspension of belief is of course necessary. But BETM is based on gritty reality.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

Yes, gritty reality indeed. I have found some people a little uncomfortable with their preconceived notion of a musical and facing the not too pleasant world of 1980's Northeast England.

Billy also uses his imagination effectively with "The Letter", keeping his "mum" alive through his visions and words.
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

gpcolo wrote:Yes, gritty reality indeed. I have found some people a little uncomfortable with their preconceived notion of a musical and facing the not too pleasant world of 1980's Northeast England.
I have found this to be true with other musicals as well. But the goal of a musical, or any work of art for that matter, isn't to make the audience happy. It's to explore with them life itself, which encompasses so many things. I don't walk into a theatre to be happier when I leave. When I walk out of The Glass Menagerie for instance, I'm not jumping for joy, but what does that matter? I feel I have such a wonderful understanding of something significant. Some pieces tell their story in conventionally pleasant methods, and that works. Telling a story in a not-so-happy way works just as well too.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

I walk out of BETM happy simply because the Finale is such a a joyous and fun ending to the musical. It just so happens that it's the last of several emotions conveyed in BETM. I love running the entire range of emotions though in this musical. I've never latched on to any other production from start to finish without being let go at some point. I believe this is due to not only all the emotions conveyed by the characters, but because of the heart warming story itself. One can't help but feel what everyone is going through in their lives. It just seems so real while watching it that people get emotionally involved in it. At least those with a heart.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Most people go to award-winning plays to observe a possible work of art. Most people go to award-winning musicals to escape reality and leave feeling happy and humming the songs on the way home. Billy Elliot The Musical is a play with music. It should be observed as a work of art as ActingDude17 approaches it. But the comic relief and especially The Finale allow people to leave feeling happy, as dongringo and most of us do. But, after the first superficial viewing, the show should be viewed as a serious comment on life, with many levels that will enrichen our lives.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

This whole process is reminiscent of the first exposure to Shakespeare in high school and Chaucer in college. At first viewing, you would know that you just saw something special, but you would also know that you missed alot. The language of both (especially Chaucer) required looking up words and customs. Reading the script helped, but Cliff Notes and a discussion guided by your teacher or professor was the key to understanding. The same way with BETM. Reading reviews, discussion groups , looking up words, customs and history and viewing the show again helps reveal what was initially missed.

OH BOY! Now I've done it. I'm comparing Billy Elliot The Musical to Shakespeare and Chaucer. Not really. But if Lee Hall produces another three dozen works as good as BETM, I will revisit the comparison.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Any more themes, sub-plots or comments?

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”