Themes and sub-plots missed at first viewing

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Re: Themes and sub-plots missed at first viewing

Post by accessmenj »

I missed that Debby did not want to dance and the hunger theme from ERinVa. It just shows that you can never stop finding a new twist after multiple viewings. Thanks to you both for pointing that out.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

accessmenj wrote:"Dance, you little twerp".
Or something like that 8-)

Another aspect of the show I've always found fascinating is how life imitates art for many of the actors in the musical, particularly Billy. In many ways, the Billys are living out their own life up there on stage in regards to: 1) being the only boy (or one of the few) in their dance class, 2) people telling them that boys play sports rather than dance, 3) having to defend why they want to dance ("It's like a sport ! And not all dancers are poofs. Look at Rudolph Nuryev ?"), 4) becoming frustrated at first when they're trying to learn how to dance, and 5) leaving their home, family and friends behind to pursue their dreams, as all of the Billys have done.

And the same is true for the dads of the Billys and Michaels too. A father of one of the Michaels in New York told me once, "This show works on so many levels. The things that the dad and the rest of the family are dealing with - about their son wanting to be a dancer - is something all dads have to come to terms with when their son wants to pursue dance. And then watching the dad on stage take pride in Billy when he finally realizes that his son has a special talent, and the inevitable letting go when he wants to head off to Broadway or dance school or somewhere to perform . . . .it's like watching my own life as a dad play out before my eyes."

And of course the part of life imitating art that many of us Forum folks have been able to experience is the "last shows" by the Billys. I've always found it incredibly moving at the end of the show when Billy says his goodbyes to his family and to Michael, when you know the actors really are saying goodbye to each other publicly, just as their characters are. And then as he walks up the aisle, it really does symbolize the young actor leaving his time as Billy and moving on to the next stage of his life.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Very well stated Todd.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

The creative team of Hall and Daldry knew that the cast children would be like the characters in the show. Daldry said that he would not make a musical unless it could be better than the film, and realzed that the key would be finding the right children. Thus the theme of "life imitating art" that was pointed out by Todd is a kind of sub-plot of which the frequent viewers of the show would be aware , but the uninformed (not Forum members ;) ) would miss.
FlyingDutchfan
Small Boy

Post by FlyingDutchfan »

accessmenj wrote:T

How many of us, at the first time that we saw BETM, picked up the theme of Mrs. Wilkinson treating her daughter so poorly in contrast to being so supportive and caring towards Billy?........
Did you get the theme of the "rejected child" at the first showing? .

Is it really just a matter of one child being favoured versus another one being neglected? After all, Mrs. W. is not picking on just Debby but bosses around ALL the girls in her ballet class, abusing them verbally with unlimited sarcastic remarks without ever giving them any compliments whatsoever. At this level of observation she pretty much resembles Miss “I hate...little girls” Hannigan from Annie. Also Billy isn’t approached by her any differently at first. If it wasn’t for his continued determination to deliver the keys to her, he would never have danced at all. (hush....I know it’s fiction.... ;) )

One of the many aspects proving the superb strength of BETM may be found in its multi layer themes and symbolism. It’s quite an achievement convincing the public BETM being a feel good show, while underneath the musical is strongly driven by the gloomy theme of fate, futureless and lack of prospects. The miner’s strike clearly symbolises the final defence line against mass unemployment, so the dead end road into economic collapse of a whole region looms heavily and continuously and appears - as in any Greek tragedy - unavoidable. The public’s identification with Billy, breaking away from his family and community, easily divers from the notion that all others are stuck and stay behind, dependant on a future beyond their control. For them there’s no escape. In Tony’s words: “We’re dinosaurs” and “We can’t be all bloody ballet dancers!”

Amidst this all, Mrs. W. symbolises another and more individual dead end road: personal ambition may be doomed under poor conditions. BETM didn’t just trade in Miss Hanigan’s booze bottle for Mrs. W’s chain smoking, but added a crucial extra dimension. Obviously, it’s her deep frustration about her life having reached a deadlock which forces her into cynicism. How else could one explain her remark (in the film, that is) while announcing the next number to be rehearsed: “The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow........fat chance!”? Meanwhile, it’s hard to consider her a role model. Although representing the middle class element within a full working class environment, her personal circumstances are truly repellent towards any potential social climber. While openly and bravely acknowledging her mediocre achievements during the farewell scene, it’s perfectly believable she has been projecting her self-reproach and self-pity all along on Debby, who’s future is also doomed to be predictably limited and for who Mrs. W. has no master card to play.

Mrs. W. character would have been rather boring and pretty much one dimensional, if not for her most personal ‘War for Billy’. It’s not just spotting his talent and stimulating him to pursue his dream, because initially there isn’t even a dream on Billy’s part. She has to push and force him at moment’s he’s loosing his self-confidence and is in danger of dropping out. But of course she really surpasses herself when confronting Billy’s family and, despite their initial disapproval, thus securing Billy a chance to escape into another world. An escape, not to be had by herself nor Debby. Another world, inaccessible to both herself and Debbie, in which Billy may live and fulfil her and his dreams.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

shimmyshimmy wrote:I tend to think that Mrs. W. ends up viewing Billy as the hope for the future that she can't find within her own family. Her husband's an alcoholic, Debbie doesn't have the talent to fulfill Mrs W.'s unfulfilled ambitions, and along come's a gifted boy needing guidance and affection from an adult female. It adds meaning to her life.
Plus she sympathizes with Billy because he is recently motherless. He also needs her in his life in my opinion.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

A good example of how Billy needs Mrs. W. in his life is when he asks her to read the letter to him, even though he has the letter memorized. He needs the female voice in order to pretend that it is his mother.This is part of the denial of reality theme. Indeed, the theme of fantasy vs. reality is a major recurring theme throughout the show.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

That's a good point. I feel sorry for people who go see it once and don't understand the complexity of the human relationships. It's amazing how many people don't like BETM simply because they don't try to understand it. They like the dancing, but don't understand anything else. This musical reminds me of the progressive rock music I listen to. Bands like Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree have an underground following only because your average listener doesn't understand the complexity of their music and lyrics. BETM enjoys larger crowds because of the hype, the movie, writer, director, producer, Elton, awards, etc. but when it comes down to it there are so many people who go see it and miss almost everything important and walk away not really getting it. But true art is like that I guess. There are always those who understand and then there are always those who go for entertainment only and end up not fully understanding. Just my two cents, for whatever it's worth.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

I have a friend who went to Billy Elliot on Broadway with his wife and said he was drunk at the time. He did not like the show. He was expecting a sing-song musical with tunes that he could hum on his way home. I told him that I thought that it was necessary to understand how the miners strike divided England and destroyed the economy of many towns.

He said "What miners strike?" :roll:
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

:lol: He apparently blacked out and didn't remember much of anything. I mean seriously. :o
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”