Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
dancingboy
Billy

Re: Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical

Post by dancingboy »

I think the name Fred Walmsley is simply one that has been 'picked out of the hat' . The surname Walmsley has a 'Northern' sound to it and it may well be a fairly common name in the North of England. Nothing more to it than that, I would suggest.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

dancingboy wrote:A few more answers from dancingboy,now that I have returned home from tonight's show at the VPT.

w***er - swear word,a derogatory term of abuse

howay - come on then

iz -me

esquire - In letter form,not used so much these days,for a male instead of using Mister (such as J.Smith Esq).

like-like - I think this is just the double use of a word, when Billy says to Grandma..''what was he like-like '' (what was he like then)`

airing cupboard -a space, with shelving,often in the bathroom of a house,where clothing or towels can be aired after washing and ironing

p**s his wages up the wall -reference to the male family member spending his wages/money on beer.After too much to drink,of course,a man may have to relieve himself

wayne sleep -British ballet dancer from a few years ago

camberwick green - Children's TV programme from the 1980 era. Puppet type characters with the action taking place around the Fire Station of a town called Camberwick Green.

Maggie Thatcher - British Prime Minister (the first woman to hold the office) from 1979-1990.Very determined woman.Still alive.

Michael Heseltine - Conservative Member of Parliament who served in various roles in the Thatcher government.

That's all for now.Hope this has been of some use.I'm afraid that not all answers can be given in one or two words.

In the reference to Camberwick Green, I should have used the words ''animated characters'',rather than ''puppet characters''.Sorry about that. Dancingboy.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Quotes: "Well, I tried to watch the movie. There was some boy wearing a dress. Totally turned me off. Had to turn the tv off. "

We need more feedback from first-time viewers. Especially negative statements. If we want to present the best possible experience to our family and friends, we need to know more about the worst-possible experiences of the past.

All the comments seem to come from a select few. If you are a bit shy about posting a comment, just try posting comments that your family and friends made after viewing BETF or BETM. We all enjoy sharing the experience with others and are willing to learn from other's negative experiences.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

" I thought it was a Musical about boys dancing. I was prepared to suffer through a three-hour recital. Boy, was I wrong!"
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

"I can't stop thinking about it. I want to see it again. We should rent the movie."
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Another suggestion for Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical--
DON'T BE SO DAMN CHEAP!
Avoid the cheap seats that make the dialog difficult to understand, and the facial expressions of the actors impossible to detect. The show is easy to appreciate if the audience knows the dialog and the emotions of the characters. Save your money, if necessary, until you can afford front row seats upstairs or downstairs seats near the front. The audience-left aisle is a good choice. After all, these are your close friends and family.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

accessmenj wrote:Another suggestion for Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical--
DON'T BE SO DAMN CHEAP
Avoid the cheap seats that make the dialog difficult to understand, and the facial expressions of the actors impossible to detect. The show is easy to appreciate if the audience knows the dialog and the emotions of the characters. Save your money, if necessary, and get front row seats upstairs or downstairs seats near the front. After all, these are your close friends and family.

I've seen the show from the cheap seats many times and I think they're the best in the house. Mind you, I did get spat on once during Solidarity.............

I'm guessing you are not referring to the London show though ;)
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

accessmenj wrote:Another suggestion for Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical--
DON'T BE SO DAMN CHEAP!
Avoid the cheap seats that make the dialog difficult to understand, and the facial expressions of the actors impossible to detect. The show is easy to appreciate if the audience knows the dialog and the emotions of the characters. Save your money, if necessary, until you can afford front row seats upstairs or downstairs seats near the front. The audience-left aisle is a good choice. After all, these are your close friends and family.
Good points here. I think this is a show that is much better when viewed from up close. Sure, there are a few big production numbers involving most of the cast where sitting further back might lend better perspective. But a large portion of the show is spent with just a few characters on stage at the same time. In that regard, it's more of a play, compared with other musicals. Being able to see the facial expressions and the subtle reactions of the characters are some of the fun parts of the show. Plus, I think you feel more a part of the story when you're up close to the actors (I feel that way about most any live production).

I introduced my parents to the show when we were in New York together 2 summers ago. We had seats up in the balcony and it remains one of my biggest regrets that we didn't splurge and get tickets downstairs, closer to the stage. Last year when a friend of mine and her family were about to see the show for the first time (in Chicago), she was about to buy cheaper seats upstairs but I intervened and told her I'd look for some better seats for her. I bought tickets for her in Row G in the center orchestra and told her she could just reimburse me for the cost of the upstairs seats. After seeing the show, she raved about it - calling it the best show she's ever seen - and added, "Those seats you got for us really made the show for us !"
paul30003
Ballet Girl

Post by paul30003 »

Yorkie wrote:
DON'T BE SO DAMN CHEAP
Avoid the cheap seats that make the dialog difficult to understand, and the facial expressions of the actors impossible to detect. The show is easy to appreciate if the audience knows the dialog and the emotions of the characters. Save your money, if necessary, and get front row seats upstairs or downstairs seats near the front. After all, these are your close friends and family.

I've seen the show from the cheap seats many times and I think they're the best in the house. Mind you, I did get spat on once during Solidarity.............

I'm guessing you are not referring to the London show though ;)

My first experience of London Billy was from the front B row seats.

All I can say is Wow! You almost feel up on the stage with the cast.
“The dance is over, the applause subsided

but the joy and feeling will stay with you forever.”

W. M. Tory
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

Todd wrote: Last year when a friend of mine and her family were about to see the show for the first time (in Chicago), she was about to buy cheaper seats upstairs but I intervened and told her I'd look for some better seats for her. I bought tickets for her in Row G in the center orchestra and told her she could just reimburse me for the cost of the upstairs seats. After seeing the show, she raved about it - calling it the best show she's ever seen - and added, "Those seats you got for us really made the show for us !"
Wow what a great friend you are :D - will you be my friend too Todd? I guess we are lucky with the London show that some of the cheapest seats in the house are in the front row. Of course the stage is high enough to give you neck ache but that is definitely a small price to pay!
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”