Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
dancingboy
Billy

Re: Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical

Post by dancingboy »

StevenKing wrote:
shimmyshimmy wrote:Raise whippets and grow leeks? Can't say I quite understand the context of that.
I vaugly understood that line but even if I didn't I could translate it as" do something low brow with his life" Wayne Sleep and Cindy doll at least work somewhat to a non Brit but Camberwick Green absolutely means nothing and has no context you can grap onto to anyone outside of the UK, I thought they were talking about a sports stadium, lord was I wrong. Personally I think they need to leave in the ALL the minor regionalisms for the flavor and just change the major cultural references that would kill a joke here if said.
Dancingboy writing from London...... A whippet is a small terrier like dog,smaller than a greyhound. Whippet racing used to take place (I don't know if it still does) in the North of England and obviously some people actually bred these types of dogs for pleasure or for racing purposes. Mrs W,in the show, I think is simply trying to tell the family that Billy is good enough to do better things with his life.
Re Camberwick Green, this was a children's TV programme from many years ago. The sort of programme for very young children, which had animated characters with the action taking place in a village called Camberwick Green. An actor called Brian Cant,I think,did the voice-overs.Hope this is useful.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I think because whippets are racing dogs, the reference in conjunction with the "piss his wages up the wall" is intended to imply that Mrs. W feels many miners tend to gamble their money away instead of supporting their families.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, there is the reference to drinking, but don't you think they would be betting on the dogs too?
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

ERinVA wrote:Yes, there is the reference to drinking, but don't you think they would be betting on the dogs too?
Without doubt and the nags too (nags = horses :D ).

Delving deeper in to the "pissing his wages up the wall" line there is another less comfortable side to this. I can't say that this definitely happened in Easington or anywhere else in the Geordie Kingdom but it happened in mining towns and other working class communities in Yorkshire and I suspect everywhere else in the UK too. It was probably more common to Grandma's generation (my mother remembers it from when she was a girl).

It was not unknown for the men, when they got their wages on a Friday, to head straight to the pub and start drinking away the money with their workmates. This is when money was limited and the wife and kids back at home would often be in dire straights with nothing to eat and no money for clothes, shoes or anything else. The wives would head to the pubs on a Friday to try and salvage what they could and were often a pitiful sight pleading with their husbands.

I work with a guy of about my age who confirmed that he and his brother had a miserable childhood because his alcoholic father drank all his wages leaving nothing for them. He has never touched alcohol himself because of the affect it had on his life. I think this type of thing is portrayed in other films (Angela's Ashes? I know that's Irish but it represents the same working class issues as happened up and down the UK).

Don't know if that is hinted at in the play but this bit of the thread got me thinking about what happened in real life. I guess what I'm saying is that it is easy to romanticise about jolly old working class Britain but the truth is that it was a very hard existence (and maybe still is). These were tough towns and ballet dancing 11 year olds and their cross dressing mates would be in for a tough life - something that is hinted at of course but for the sake of the film and play couldn't be delved too deeply in to without creating another Cathy Come Home or Kes.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

This forum contains some of the leading experts in the world on Billy Elliot The Musical. And we are still trying to understand the parts of the show that are confusing to non-Brits and even Brits under forty years old. There are many people everywhere under forty who view the show. We absolutely need a Glossary on this site to make up for the one that is no longer available to the audience of the Second Tour.

Can anyone scan or copy the Glossary that is in old Playbills or Programs? It would be a start, and we can add phrases to it.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Click on the thumbnail.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This glossary, which is found in the London souvenir program, consists of Geordie words and their translations, but it doesn't include local terms for things.
Ellen

VaRus
Small Boy

Post by VaRus »

accessmenj wrote:This forum contains some of the leading experts in the world on Billy Elliot The Musical. And we are still trying to understand the parts of the show that are confusing to non-Brits and even Brits under forty years old. There are many people everywhere under forty who view the show. We absolutely need a Glossary on this site to make up for the one that is no longer available to the audience of the Second Tour.

Can anyone scan or copy the Glossary that is in old Playbills or Programs? It would be a start, and we can add phrases to it.
I can remember the thread titled "Let's start BETM encyclopedia!" with a proposal that was even a litlle bit more ambitious:

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... f=41&t=261

However, despite some enthusiastic replies from forum's members it resulted in nothing...
Valery
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

VaRus---That was quite an ambitious project and I wish it had been done. But it would have taken many people devoting as much time to the project as you did for Oliver Taylor's project. Now most of the information is divided over many sites like "skykid".

ERinVA--Thanks for the Glossary. As soon as I get a little time, I will organize and add to it so we have a permanent reference for new viewers.

Anyone--Please list any words or phrases that could use an explanation for new people.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

This is a good resource for colloquialisms and slang:

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/
Ellen

accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

ERinVA wrote:This is a good resource for colloquialisms and slang:

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/
Not only is this site helpful, but its funny!

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”