Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Introducing Family and Friends to Billy Elliot The Musical

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, it is. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

accessmenj wrote:
ERinVA wrote:This is a good resource for colloquialisms and slang:

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/
Not only is this site helpful, but its funny!
w**ker anybody :D
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Yorkie wrote:
accessmenj wrote:

This is dancingboy,on holiday in Switzerland at present....If anyone wants a ,translation, of any words or phrases from BETM just put them down and I will try to help.My reply may have to wait until I get home next Tuesday unless I can find an internet cafe on my travels before then.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Yorkie wrote:
accessmenj wrote:

I admit, I looked that one up just to confirm. :lol:
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Yorkie
Seems the biggest stumbling block is still the accent though; a great many of people obviously struggle with the variety of British accents. On that subject could I ask a question? On the original cast recording can none Brits pick out when Liam slips out of his Geordie accent and speaks in his Yorkshire accent or does it all sound the same?
I noticed nobody answered your question, Yorkie, so I guess everybody did not notice the change in accents. You made your point well.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

dancingboy wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
accessmenj wrote:

This is dancingboy,on holiday in Switzerland at present....If anyone wants a ,translation, of any words or phrases from BETM just put them down and I will try to help.My reply may have to wait until I get home next Tuesday unless I can find an internet cafe on my travels before then.
Esquire - I still don't get this one, although "William Elliot is queer" was still hilarious at the show.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Just an interesting side note here: Currently in the US, so far as I know, the only people who use Esq. after their names are attorneys, and even women use it. I received a communication from a woman lawyer recently with Esq. after her name.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

accessmenj wrote:Yorkie
Seems the biggest stumbling block is still the accent though; a great many of people obviously struggle with the variety of British accents. On that subject could I ask a question? On the original cast recording can none Brits pick out when Liam slips out of his Geordie accent and speaks in his Yorkshire accent or does it all sound the same?
I noticed nobody answered your question, Yorkie, so I guess everybody did not notice the change in accents. You made your point well.
I, for one, did not and still have not noticed when Liam slipped out of his Geordie accent. When does this occur?

Thanks.
maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

maria wrote:
accessmenj wrote:Yorkie
I, for one, did not and still have not noticed when Liam slipped out of his Geordie accent. When does this occur?

Thanks.
maria
Ahh well now, far be it from me to set myself as some sort of expert cunning linguist but I knew somebody would ask that question! So, I've used it as an excuse to play the album one more time and these are the places where I think he talks more like a Tyke than a Geordie:

“Miss, the keys” in Shine

“Grandma, do you really not remember about Granddad?” at the start of Grandma’s song

Most of the dialogue with Mrs W at the start of Solidarity and the “Miss I don’t know what to do’s”.

Also, when he shouts out “Scab, f’ing scab” at about 4:40 of solidarity he isn’t doing it in a Geordie accent.

In the letter most of the dialogue after “it’s from me mam” up to but not including “a long time” which is a good enough take on Geordie for me.

In contrast his dialogue for the 2nd letter is really pretty good accent wise to my ear.

And to make it clear I'm not bashing Liam who I think is brilliant (good British word that) and a fellow Yorkshireman to boot and I love the OCR too. Just interested to see if other people noticed what I perceived to be an accent that was a bit wobbly.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

shimmyshimmy wrote:
dongringo wrote:
Esquire - I still don't get this one, .

"an unofficial title of respect, having no precise significance, sometimes placed, especially in its abbreviated form, after a man's surname in formal written address: in the U.S., usually applied to lawyers, women as well as men; in Britain, applied to a commoner considered to have gained the social position of a gentleman. Abbreviation: Esq. "

It used to be very common on all formal types of correspondence as in Don Dringo, Esq. (or Esquire)
Esquire may have originated in England when referring to a landowner who probably had money and was the ,squire, of a village.Probably someone who had a title.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”