When does the average audience member get captivated?

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Re: Whn does the average audience member get captivated?

Post by ActingDude17 »

I would probably have to agree with "Solidarity". I hear people mention the number quite often. It really advances Billy's personal story and at the same time provides outstanding staging and choreography. The song has many of the best elements of the show. If personal stories are appropriate here, I was drawn in during "The Stars Look Down". There's something very powerful about a group of people standing together in the face of adversity. The image of the kids running through the crowd of adults was very striking as well, in addition to Billy's dance being shadowed by Small Boy, etc.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

When the mood shifts and the spotlight first shines on Billy:

'Take me oop....'
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

Well, I was that average Joe just last October and it was Solidarity that did it for me - the blending of the different plot lines and the powerful lyrics and most especially the choreography. :shock:
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ActingDude17 wrote:I would probably have to agree with "Solidarity". I hear people mention the number quite often. It really advances Billy's personal story and at the same time provides outstanding staging and choreography.
One of the NY fans, Suzanne, described it awesomely to me recently. It was her first time seeing the show and Trent Kowalik was Billy. She said when she saw Solidarity, she turned to her friend and said, "I smell Tonys." Soon after when she saw Angry Dance she followed up with, "I smell LOTS of Tonys!" :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
athadj
Miner

Re: When does the average audience member get captivated?

Post by athadj »

Unfortunatelly I don't remember many details about that night 6 years ago when I first saw Liam perform as Billy. I went in having seen the movie and had absolutelly no idea what to expect. No idea.
What I do remember is at the end of solidarity when Billy does his pirouettes I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I had never before seen a boy that young perform (and to think that I was impressed by young Gavroche and Cossette in Les Mis :lol: ) and I was captivated there and then. I also remember thinking during dream ballet that the chair was not real, that they were somehow mechanically moving it :? (yes I was that stupid) and even though I don't remember much about electricity I can still remember the full theatre standing ovation and the clapping and cheering that, deservingly, seemed to go on forever and ever. And the one thing that I will always remember is that when I left the theatre I was hooked, I felt the need to go back and see it the next day! Now, why it took me 5 whole years I'll never know and will always regret... :cry:
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I can relate to everything you said, Athina. I saw George Maguire, and I too wanted to see it again, but I knew nothing about day seats, so I didn't book another show while I was there. If I had known, I would certainly have been there in the queue the next morning.

Just to add that I had no idea that Billy was going to fly, and when that happened, I almost fell out of my seat. 8-)
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

I am seeing the show in London tonight (visit number 12) and I have to say that my breath will be taken away,as it always is,during Dream ballet. I well remember a few months ago when Billy,I think played by Ryan Collinson, finished the dance and came face to face with his Dad the audience went wild and the ovation went on for about two minutes. Just tremendous.
paul30003
Ballet Girl

Post by paul30003 »

kport wrote:When the mood shifts and the spotlight first shines on Billy:

'Take me oop....'

I have to agree, it was at this point that I was captivated at my first show.
Right at the start, when small boy sits in front of the movie screen and they are showing about the miner strikes, I was thinking, whats all this then.

Now that i'm starting to get to grips with the story and many sub events of the show, i'm captivated as soon as small boy enters the stage.
“The dance is over, the applause subsided

but the joy and feeling will stay with you forever.”

W. M. Tory

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”