WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Re: WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

Post by mrmikerocks »

I don't think it is really fair to compare different casts in different productions. They are all equally extraordinary and should be appreciated as they are and not compared to which is better or worse.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

I agree that comparison of actors is unfair, but I wanted to compare the productions. To compare apples to apples, I prefer the second tour after the hiatus to before the hiatus. For the most part they were the same actors. I missed the dancing dresses but felt that the cast had developed a stronger sense of community that showed in the presentation. Lee Hall must have felt the same if he was quoted correctly.(Maybe it was Stephen Daldry- I am still trying to find the quote). My overall point is that the tour is getting stronger, and thus it is getting even better reviews.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I don't think the "Is the current tour better than..." question is fair to ask. I did not see the first tour, but having seen the current one, plus Broadway, Chicago, and Toronto, I can say they are (or were) all excellent.

What is more fair to discuss is which aspects of a particular production one likes or prefers. In that light I would agree with accessmenj that the cast of the current tour seems to convey a stronger sense of community. It's hard to explain why I get this vibe. Having the actors more involved as stage hands is one reason. It also could be a result of their traveling together and spending so much time together outside of the show, thus creating better chemistry.
--Chris
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

accessmenj wrote:I agree that comparison of actors is unfair, but I wanted to compare the productions. To compare apples to apples, I prefer the second tour after the hiatus to before the hiatus. For the most part they were the same actors. I missed the dancing dresses but felt that the cast had developed a stronger sense of community that showed in the presentation. Lee Hall must have felt the same if he was quoted correctly.(Maybe it was Stephen Daldry- I am still trying to find the quote). My overall point is that the tour is getting stronger, and thus it is getting even better reviews.
It was Stephen Daldry, not Lee Hall. I don't know where the quote is, but the article in which it occurs was posted fairly recently on here. In fact, it may be in one of the Los Angeles reviews.

.... and here's the link: http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... dry#p71294
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
LiamM
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by LiamM »

The version of the set that I like the best is the one used in Chicago and Toronto. It seems to be more natural. The London/Broadway set, where the bedroom comes out of the floor, results in incongruous scenes, like Billy sitting on his bed talking to Mrs. W. just before The Letter; that doesn't make sense.

The corners cut for the current NA tour diminishes the show somewhat, particularly the pit gate barriers, which the miners have to carry. Certainly, it is worth it to make the tour viable. I also like the big dresses and a real "scene change!".
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

CJ-Rochester wrote:It also could be a result of their traveling together and spending so much time together outside of the show, thus creating better chemistry.
I think that the tour hitting on all cylinders at the moment can be attributed partly to this sense of continuity amongst the performers, as the current leads are quite a seasoned group. The actors playing Jackie Elliot, Mrs. Wilkinson, and Grandma have all been with the show for quite awhile now either on the tour or on Broadway. The same goes for the 4 Billys, as J.P. and Kylend have both been with the show in some capacity for over two years, which doesn't happen often with the child performers. Ty has been around for over a year, and even Zach can't really be considered a "newbie" anymore having performed as Billy for several months now. The two Michaels are also veterans of the show.

We've seen this cycle occur before - particularly in the London show - where things are really rolling along nicely with a group of familiar performers. Then inevitably, several of the long-time actors leave and there's a period where the new cast has to settle in and find their way, which they eventually do. All the more reason to enjoy this particular period of the tour, as the cast is blessed with lots of experience and is performing at a very high level.
tzwicky
George

Post by tzwicky »

Todd wrote: ... and even Zach can't really be considered a "newbie" anymore having performed as Billy for several months now...."
Gotta agree that the only thing Zach can be considered is totally, monstrously, impeccably awesome. That's it, the kid has the goods!

tzwicky
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

tzwicky wrote:
Todd wrote: ... and even Zach can't really be considered a "newbie" anymore having performed as Billy for several months now...."
Gotta agree that the only thing Zach can be considered is totally, monstrously, impeccably awesome. That's it, the kid has the goods!

tzwicky
This is the best thing I've heard all day after starting the day reading that so called review of Zach's performance. I like this better.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Re: WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS GETTING BETTER

Post by accessmenj »

Thanks, CJ-Rochester for saying what I was trying to say, but much better. The vibe that we both felt that this presentation seems like a stronger community than previous may or may not be true, but it adds enjoyment to the show. Little things can make a difference in success on a particular night.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

This from The Detroit Free Press
"Billy's story made for a likable 2000 film, and it delivers an even better stage experience, thanks to an extra hour for character development and some memorable songs from Elton John."

The extra character development is another reason that the musical is superior as a work of art . But also, I know that comparing the film to the musical is not fair, since the musical has been constantly modified since it began. Most of these changes have improved the show. The film, of course, can not be tweaked. And the cast of the musical is always changing. This makes the musical a living, breathing work of art, and the film a kind of archive.

I feel badly for reviewers who think that the film is superior to the musical, or it is too long, or some of the musical numbers do not belong. They truly missed what transforms a great film into "The Best Show That You Will Ever See.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”