WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

Post by accessmenj »

Stephen Daldry and Lee Hall said that they would not make the musical unless it would be better than the film. And, even though it is a great film, they did make an even better musical.

This thread will explore why the musical is a superior work of art, based on improving the film version.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Re: WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

Post by accessmenj »

The worst part of the film, Billy Elliot, is the ending. I know that the ending has people sobbing in their seats (including Elton John), but it is so sweet and corny that it destroys the real-life aspect of the film. In the film, everybody is happy. Billy is a super-star. Michael is open and proud of his new boyfriend. Tony is thrilled to see his little brother perform. And Dad is overcome with joy and pride. Only Fairytales for children under seven should end with "And they all lived happily ever after."

The story of Billy Elliot and the miners is depressing, and the audience needs a lift at the end. The film uses the silly happy ending to send the audience home happy. But it ruins the gritty reality of the story. The musical finishes the show with only hope for Billy's future, and no real hope for anyone else. It is much more realistic for older children and adults. Then the musical cheers up the emotionally drained audience with the "Company Celebration" (Finale). Hall and Daldry corrected a major flaw with this change.
paul30003
Ballet Girl

Post by paul30003 »

I always wondered why they left the last part from the musical?
It seems to make sense!
“The dance is over, the applause subsided

but the joy and feeling will stay with you forever.”

W. M. Tory
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

paul30003 wrote:I always wondered why they left the last part from the musical?
It seems to make sense!
I've always felt that the "Swan Lake" number in the musical is a reference to the final scene in the film. But while the film shows that Billy definitely did make it to the big time, the musical only hints at it as Billy dances with his older self. . . .. although I guess this could be seen as foreshadowing what Billy will become later, as opposed to what he hopes to become. At the same time, it addresses the scene in the film where Billy dances in the gym after the miners' Christmas party . . .and dad walks in to see him defiantly showing him what he can do and that he intends to keep on dancing.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

As much as I like the film I quite agree that the ending is too,somewhat, 'glossy'. The film takes you straight to the point where Billy is starring in Swan Lake,missing out all the years ( maybe 6 or 7 ) of hard work and dedication needed to get there. With BETM it finishes with Billy taking a long lasting look at the town he will be leaving knowing that he has given himself (and the audience) hope for the future and you have the forlorn-looking Michael saying 'goodbye' to his best friend. What hope is there for him? Billy's aspirations are shown in Dream Ballet.At the end of the show you,the audience,are left in limbo just hoping that Billy can succeed and wishing him well,just how a good story should end.

Now I'm going to ''p**s off,before I start to cry''.

PS I'm going for another dose of Billy at this afternoon's matinee.

dancingboy
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

Have to disagree - I think the film is excellent and the ending works fine in that medium. Stage and film are different art forms that require different treatment and what works for one will not work for the other.

I have read just about every review and blog of BETM out there and I think it is clear that some people can be fulfilled by the film ending (because it answers all their questions = no thought required) and dislike BETM becuase it is 'unresolved'.

That is probably the weakness of transferring a film to the stage; most (not all I know) films treat their audiences as double digit IQ mouth breathers but serious theatre (and that is what I class BETM as) requires the audience to think beyond just the very obvious linear presentation. Some lovers of the film see it expecting to see the film recreated on stage and dislike BETM because they do not understand theatre (and have attention spans limited to 90 minutes).

As well as the ending it can be seen in places like 'Solidarity' ("miners dancing with police and ballet girls, I don't get it") or 'Express' ("big Disney dresses, it's just stupid and unneeded") and 'Grandma's song' ("What's the point? It adds nothing to the show and is just an old lady swearing").

The film attracts people to see BETM who are not equiped to understand the play, but then again it is the only reason I gave BETM a shot. Both brilliant in their own way.
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Great post, Yorkie. Very perceptive. I do think that you made my point better than I did, since you said the movie was geared to "no thought required" and BETM "requires the audience to think". Both forms of entertainment are enjoyable, but the musical, like all true art, requires viewer participation and thought.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

accessmenj wrote:Great post, Yorkie. Very perceptive. I do think that you made my point better than I did, since you said the movie was geared to "no thought required" and BETM "requires the audience to think". Both forms of entertainment are enjoyable, but the musical, like all true art, requires viewer participation and thought.
Maybe I did, or perhaps I just made my point badly :lol:

The film did what it needed to do and the stage show has other tricks up it's sleeve. I didn't have a problem with the film ending myself, I thought it worked. I also think films can be true art as well.

Fortunately, many people are able to see good things about both and most people can see what is special about BETM. But at either extreme you have the 'Musical Queens' who despise the fact that the play isn't a vehicle for kitsch show tunes and the film buffs who expect black and white and can't handle the subtle shades of grey/gray.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I loved the movie and still love it. But I have always felt that the ending seems like a tacked on afterthought because all of a sudden they realized that the audience would want to know if Billy succeeded.

Some people say that the finale of the musical is a tacked on afterthought. But my take on that is that it has nothing to do with the story at all; it's an elaborately choreographed curtain call.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

ERinVA wrote:I loved the movie and still love it. But I have always felt that the ending seems like a tacked on afterthought because all of a sudden they realized that the audience would want to know if Billy succeeded.

Some people say that the finale of the musical is a tacked on afterthought. But my take on that is that it has nothing to do with the story at all; it's an elaborately choreographed curtain call.
It was SD's first film - maybe he thought he had to tell the story that way for it to be a critical success. Who wants to see a film that ends on a downer? What happened to the kid?

Agree 100% that the finale is 'just' a feel good curtain call (which I love). That last scene with Michael alone and crying; well it just kills me - if the audience holds the applause until the curtain drops. Not sure I'd have ever come back if I'd left the theatre on that forlorn, hopeless, desperate moment :D

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”