WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
paul30003
Ballet Girl

Re: WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

Post by paul30003 »

Maybe the ending from the movie is not needed, there are enough clues in the musical to sum up the ending.

1, The strike fails and the miners return to work until ultimately the pits are closed.

2, Billy makes it to the Royal Ballet School. (He's pretty sure to land a roll in a ballet somewhere)

3, Billy's father and brother show support for Billy's ballet.

4, We already know that Micheal is gay.

Finish the musical with a nice lively finale.

I must say, when I see my first show in Toronto, I was expecting to see the same ending as the movie, especialy as I read that Billy's older self was in the cast list.

I love the musical the way it is, its got to be expected to be glamorised, with scenes and songs not necessarily needed to tell the story. That's what the west-end / Broadway is all about. Its big, its glitter, Its glamorous. Why pay many £ or $ to see something almost identically portrayed from the movie up on stage. You might as well go buy the DVD on Amazon for £3.99 plus postage and handling.
“The dance is over, the applause subsided

but the joy and feeling will stay with you forever.”

W. M. Tory
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

The ending(and beginning) are as good as it gets...for movies. They absolutely had Ro end it that way in the movie...the musical
Could be more risky and leave it up in the air. But my opinion the beginning of the movie is actually better and the end is just different though movie end is better for it's emotional impact.he musical is WAY better in the middle:)
Steamboy
Tall Boy

Post by Steamboy »

Some of the changes were purely practical - I remember reading an interview with Daldrey in which he mentioned considering keeping the 'Adult Billy' ending, but paying a dancer of Adam Cooper's ability for 30 seconds of dance a night was not economically feasible.

As for 'tacked on' endings, I'm remembering anecdotes about the Finale not being in the show until the very end of rehearsals, when the producers decided that ending the show with an 'up' number would be better business than with Billy's lonely walk up the aisle. I also remember something about Mrs. W not being in the film's final sequence because they shot it after the main filming, and Julie Walters was no longer available in terms of schedule.

I kind of wish that they'd kept more of the film's treatment of Swan Lake in the show, it made an interesting sub-plot to draw parallels between Mrs. W/Billy and Odette/the Prince.

For me, the greatest addition to the stage show is the music, and fleshing out the world of the miners. Seeing Billy dance for more than thirty seconds or so helps a lot too! :D
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Those of you, who attended the show when the Company Celebration(Finale) was eliminated due to a slippery stage or time constraints, know what it felt like to end the show without the happy curtain call.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

StevenKing wrote:They absolutely had Ro end it that way in the movie...the musical
Sorry, a bit confused here. Is there a typo or am I missing something ? :oops:
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

To end...ouch I'll clean up that post after I watch a movie about a boy wizard:)
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

The heading of this thread might just as easily have read "Why Billy Elliot The Musical is a so much better experience than the film". The fact is that you cannot compare film to live theatre. They are two totally different mediums and Stephen Daldry has shown that he can master both.

I saw the original film when it first came out in cinemas in 2001? and enjoyed it as it was. I didn't see it again until 2007. Someone had mentioned that in the musical they had kept close to the original script so I got the DVD for £3 in HMV in Oxford St. out of curiosity about this and, indeed, it was true. However, I have only watched it once since and, again, that was to check it out against the musical. Sky broadcast it in HD last year which I recorded but haven't watched it yet apart from a few moments just to see what the HD version was like. In the meantime I have seen the musical a few more times :).

If I had the choice of having only one it would have to be the musical for the simple reason that it is a much better and totally immersive experience. Meaning no disrespect to Jamie Bell the fact remains that he could reshoot every scene multiple times if necessary until it was right. How much of it was left on the cutting room floor as in all films? The live Billy has to be "all things to all men" on the night every night.

As a film music fan since I was about 10 I didn't like the music in the film all that much. I would have preferred a "proper" music score. The music in BETM is magic.

Despite the differences between the two mediums the ending of the musical has a distinct classic "film" feel about it. One character left on his/her own as the camera zooms out, the music plays and your emotions are manipulated as "The End" appears on the screen.

As for the Finale, all I will say is thank goodness for it.

So, my answer to the thread is that the musical is not "better" than the film no more than you could say that Mars bars are better than ice cream. It is just a better experience overall... by the proverbial mile. So much so that a weekly tonic of it is a welcome antidote to all the ills of the world and should be on the National Health.

Pat
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

I agree with your sentiments,patc. You cannot beat 'live' theatre. As we have seen at the VPT recently,little things happen,a technical hitch here,a slip up there,which,of course, would have been edited out of a film. Because of the story that unfolded the film was brilliant,no doubt about that,and I still enjoy watching it on TV or on DVD,but to actually be in the audience at BETM is an experience to behold.As I said previously,at the end of BETM you are happy for Billy as he is going to the Royal Ballet School yet you are sad for Michael who is left behind, but spirits are again lifted with Finale when the whole community gets back together.

dancingboy.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

patc wrote:The heading of this thread might just as easily have read "Why Billy Elliot The Musical is a so much better experience than the film". The fact is that you cannot compare film to live theatre. They are two totally different mediums and Stephen Daldry has shown that he can master both.

I saw the original film when it first came out in cinemas in 2001? and enjoyed it as it was. I didn't see it again until 2007. Someone had mentioned that in the musical they had kept close to the original script so I got the DVD for £3 in HMV in Oxford St. out of curiosity about this and, indeed, it was true. However, I have only watched it once since and, again, that was to check it out against the musical. Sky broadcast it in HD last year which I recorded but haven't watched it yet apart from a few moments just to see what the HD version was like. In the meantime I have seen the musical a few more times :).

If I had the choice of having only one it would have to be the musical for the simple reason that it is a much better and totally immersive experience. Meaning no disrespect to Jamie Bell the fact remains that he could reshoot every scene multiple times if necessary until it was right. How much of it was left on the cutting room floor as in all films? The live Billy has to be "all things to all men" on the night every night.

As a film music fan since I was about 10 I didn't like the music in the film all that much. I would have preferred a "proper" music score. The music in BETM is magic.

Despite the differences between the two mediums the ending of the musical has a distinct classic "film" feel about it. One character left on his/her own as the camera zooms out, the music plays and your emotions are manipulated as "The End" appears on the screen.

As for the Finale, all I will say is thank goodness for it.

So, my answer to the thread is that the musical is not "better" than the film no more than you could say that Mars bars are better than ice cream. It is just a better experience overall... by the proverbial mile. So much so that a weekly tonic of it is a welcome antidote to all the ills of the world and should be on the National Health.

Pat
And just as I was thinking what a great guy that Pat is you spoiled it all by saying you don't like the music in the film :shock: THAT'S THE BEST BIT ;)
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Billy Elliot The Musical is a so much better experience than the film because of the current score.

Billy Elliot The Musical-------------------59
Billy Elliot the film------------------------ 1

Not even close. And BETM's lead will continue to increase.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”