WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Re: WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

Post by StevenKing »

Actually if it wasn't for the music the film has I'd like it WAY less...it a perfect soundtrack IMHO.:)
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Hall and Daldry made another major improvement over Billy Elliot the film when they changed the depressing roles of Grandma and Michael to uplifting roles with major comic relief. In the film, both characters were to be pitied and almost never smiled. In the musical, both characters were often cheerful and served as comic relief. The film was way too much of a "downer" and required an unrealistically happy ending. The musical, on the other hand, constantly cheers up the viewers after every "downer" scene. The audience does not need "and they all lived happily ever after".
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

From Burtond-
"I would imagine it was the new Billy from America who is due to start in the next few weeks."

That will change the score to
Billy Elliot The Musical........... 60
Billy Elliot the film................. 1
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

I saw the movie a gazillion times before ever seeing the musical and it remains to this day my all time favorite film. I love it just the way it is. However, in my opinion BETM edges out the film by a mile. It's a live theatrical experience. And there's something about seeing a real life Billy Elliot live his dream on that stage. I don't think any movie can possibly have such an effect. And that's not to say that the film isn't emotionally involving. I've never been able to watch the movie and maintain a dry eye. But the film and musical are two different animals. I'll put it this way...I'd never pay $90 to see the movie. But I gladly paid that much to see the musical several times over. In fact, I'm still paying for that seven show run in April and would do it again in a second. I'm glad I don't live in NY or London. It would mean financial ruin. :lol:
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Many years ago,in the UK,there was a TV advert for Rose's Chocolates and the catch phrase was ''Roses Grow on You''. That's how I feel about BETM. Having seen the show about 25 times now I know I am only a novice compared with some others, but it is certainly true that if I could afford it I would see the show six or even eight times a week.

dancingboy.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

dancingboy wrote:but it is certainly true that if I could afford it I would see the show six or even eight times a week.

dancingboy.
I thought you were :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Not quite.... I've seen four shows in each of the last two weeks,but am only booked this week for Tuesday and Thursday matinee.

dancingboy.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

More proof that the musical is a better experience than the film. Each showing is a little different. No one would view the exact same show many times in one week. No one would pay over $100 to see the exact same show over and over again. But the musical is fun to attend many times because we never know what is going to happen, or how the individual roles will be played. Attending Billy Elliot The Musical is a bit of an adventure.
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

accessmenj wrote:More proof that the musical is a better experience than the film. Each showing is a little different. No one would view the exact same show many times in one week.
So now you're implying that theatre is an inherently better art form than film? When statements like this are made, it's just hard to take everything else that seriously. The two mediums do something in completely different ways. How can you even compare them in the first place?
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

All art forms have value. But some art forms have a throw-away-until-we-get-it-right option. Movies, Novels, Poetry, Painting, Recordings, etc. give the creator the ability to discard anything that did not work. A live play can be re-written by the author before publication, but the actors can not re-do the scene. Anything presented live is a more human art form. Live music is better than a recording, a live concert is better than a video, and live stage is better than a film.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”