WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Re: WHY BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE FILM

Post by accessmenj »

Yorkie,
You did mention that you had a preference for the musical from a decent seat This brings us to a huge advantage of film over live stage. With a film, the entire audience will be presented a more uniform experience. The weakness of live stage is that only the better seats experience what makes a live performance superior to a recorded show. In addition, films are also cheaper to attend. Also, films can be shown at thousands of theaters at the same time. The Film Medium is clearly a superior way to reach the masses. But I think that almost everyone who expressed an opinion on this forum prefers Billy Elliot The Musical because they did not sit in the last rows.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

accessmenj wrote:
So where does that leave me? After defending the film so much, if I was faced with a choice of being able to watch either the film or the show for one last time in my life I would without hesitation pick the musical (from a decent seat). Fortunately, that isn't going to happen (no kids in my burning house :D ) so I get to have both and enjoy both and appreciate each for what it provides.
Ah! So you admit that you do have a favorite child that you would save first. :lol:
Oh yes, 6 of them to date and hopefully I'll get to see the 7th (Adam) soon. I do agree with many of your points; I just don't think it has to be a choice between the film or the show - that one is good and one is bad. Both have good points and flaws and they aren't really in competition.

Now if you wanted to start a thread called "Why BETM is so much better than Wicked" I'd be with you all the way :lol:
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

This recent review is very complete, and states most of the reasons why I think that the musical is a superior work of art. There is no reason to compare the film with the musical, but all of us seem to prefer the musical.

http://flaneur.me.uk/03/review-billy-el ... re-london/

"This is a truly wonderful show and an excellent evening out. It seems to be a more resonant and impactful way of telling the same story than the film, and is richer for it. While the film was brilliant in its own way, it cannot compete with the atmosphere, energy and constant perfection of this live show, and the cast and crew bring the audience along the rollercoaster ride with them. Fantastic."
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

Ellen, can I have my $20 back please?
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Yorkie, I knew that would get your juices flowing. :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yorkie wrote:Ellen, can I have my $20 back please?
Not sure how the forum became part of this discussion about show vs film. :? My guess is you're joking, Yorkie, but pm me if you're serious.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

Yes, joking :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thought so. 8-) :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Sorry for the confusion. Yorkie and I seem to enjoy trans-Atlantic arguments. But we both agree that both the film and the musical are special and deserve multiple viewings.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I want to reply here today because this week I re-watched the movie for the first time in a while. And I have to say, enjoying the incredible quality of the Blu-Ray on my 55" screen, combined with the fact that I no longer have the easy access to the stage show here in New York, made it an extremely emotional experience for me. But it also reminded me just how incredible a movie it is. I do agree that the stage show is better, but I'd also argue that because they are different mediums, we can't even compare them. A stage show cannot give every audience member the up-close look at an actor's expression, even if they're in the front row. And a movie can not give you the same appreciation a live performance can, to make you leap from your seat in praise of what they've "just" done. In short (too late) I love them both very, very much (the film and the musical).

If you haven't gotten the Blu-Ray yet, definitely do so!!! And order it from Amazon.co.uk (region free) and have it shipped to the states (or wherever you are) if like me you cannot get the special features version on the U.S. release. The special features are well worth the extra wait (1 month) I had to have it shipped to my home on Long Island!!! Don't want to pull us off topic, so for more info on this, feel free to PM me anytime.

To close in reiteration: I love them both very, very much (the film and the musical). =)

Sean

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”