Billy Elliot the Musical Live

BEJB
Small Boy

Billy Elliot the Musical Live

Post by BEJB »

It appears that a film of "Billy Elliot the Musical Live" is being released by Universal on Sunday, 28th September.
http://www.launchingfilms.com/release-schedule
Eskito
Audience Member

Re: Billy Elliot the Musical Live

Post by Eskito »

Thanks for the link. Thrilling news if it turns out to be true.

I'm just wondering what is behind this project. Sounds like they will do a live recording of the show. But I've never heard about the intention to film the entire show for a DVD release or something. Maybe they going the way other West End Shows did before and do a screening to UK cinemas?

An interesting fact besides: Seems like you can't buy tickets for the shows on Monday 21st September and Monday 29th September online. This might be possibly related to it.
Sebastian
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Eskito wrote:Thanks for the link. Thrilling news if it turns out to be true.

I'm just wondering what is behind this project. Sounds like they will do a live recording of the show. But I've never heard about the intention to film the entire show for a DVD release or something. Maybe they going the way other West End Shows did before and do a screening to UK cinemas?
Yes, Eskito, from what several of us actually first heard about this in a conversation with Stephen Daldry in front of the VPT on May 12th after the 9th Anniversary show, this will be a live broadcast from the theatre to cinemas. Tickets typically go on sale for these events quite some time in advance. An example of another show that has already done this is "War Horse," which Mr. Daldry mentioned at the time. I expect some forum members may have seen that broadcast in their local cinemas.

The reason we did not post about the event shortly after that conversation was that, as usual, we have been waiting for a link with a confirmed date. It appears that we now have such a link.

As is typical with these kinds of broadcasts (at least here in the US with broadcasts from the Metropolitan Opera, for example), the broadcast is saved on film or digital media and then rebroadcast a couple of times at the cinema.

Unfortunately, I doubt this broadcast will make it to many US cinemas, but those movie houses that do Fathom Events may have it on their schedules. If you live near a cineplex in the US that regularly broadcasts Fathom Events, you should probably look for this on the schedule.

September 28th is a Sunday, by the way, so Monday the 29th may be dark in compensation for a Sunday performance. But I'm not sure how any of this would apply to September 21st.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Monday 21st Sept is actually a Sunday, LOL.

Could it be that on Sunday 21st the show will be taped and when the live show goes out on 28th it will be run in tandem with the tape in case something goes wrong on the night, eg, the Set breaking down.

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Oops, yes, the 21st is a Sunday. :D Have corrected my post.

It's the 22nd and 29th that are currently not shown on the booking site.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Eskito
Audience Member

Post by Eskito »

Yes you are right :lol: , September 21th is a Sunday of course. My fault, sorry for that... :oops:

Furthermore thanks for the informations Ellen!
If you live near a cineplex in the US that regularly broadcasts Fathom Events, you should probably look for this on the schedule.
No, I'm from Germany. So I'm afraid that it will be hard to find a broadcasting Cinema here, but I will keep my eyes open... ;)
Sebastian
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Wow, very cool to hear this!!!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I rang the VP today to ask about tickets for Mondays Sept 22nd and 29th. At the moment no tickets are on sale for those dates as they have not yet decided which date they are going to do Billy Elliot Live.

I'm sure as Forum members find out more information they will keep us all informed.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Add 2 more dates to the undecided list :lol:
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Billy Whiz wrote:I rang the VP today to ask about tickets for Mondays Sept 22nd and 29th. At the moment no tickets are on sale for those dates as they have not yet decided which date they are going to do Billy Elliot Live.

I'm sure as Forum members find out more information they will keep us all informed.

I notice that tickets are available for these dates now.

Return to “Special Shows - London”