MESSAGES TO THE BROADWAY CAST FOR THEIR FINAL SHOW JANUARY 8

clue
Tall Boy

Re: MESSAGES TO THE BROADWAY CAST FOR THEIR FINAL SHOW JANUARY 8

Post by clue »

I really have a hard time writing these kind of things. Well here it goes ....

Thanks to all for putting on a such great show.
After first seeing Finding Billy on PBS TV, I was intrigued. After seeing my first two shows a couple of weeks later, I knew I found a very special show. Along the way, I've meet other incredible fans and have done things I never thought I do.

However, I am drawn back to see the incredible performances by everyone in the show.

All good things must come to an end and Billy Elliot has been a really good thing.

Good luck!
rickyfc
Small Boy

Post by rickyfc »

About eleven years ago, I was quite bored and began flicking channels on the TV when I happened upon an episode of “Ebert and Roeper”. They were discussing a little film that I had never heard of before. It starred a boy actor I’d never heard of, was written by someone I’d never heard of, was directed by someone I’d never heard of and used an English mining strike as its backstory that I’d never heard of. To top it off, the kid wanted to be a ballet dancer! Didn’t sound particularly interesting to me. But Roger and Richard’s thumbs seemed to like it well enough so who was I to dismiss it? Plus, it did star Julie Walters and I liked her so I gave it a shot when it came out on DVD.

And so that moment of being bored grew into the beginning of my love for all things “Billy Elliot”.

Since then, Elton John--one of my all-time favorite entertainers--cried at Cannes, the stage musical was conceived and the show opened in London. And I followed it all. Fast forward a few years and I began seeing pictures of the three boys who were to star in the Broadway version. (My favorite was one of Kiril, Trent and David jumping the iconic “Billy” jump in a street in the middle of Times Square.)

Although I live in Philly, just a short train ride from New York, I hadn’t been to Manhattan since I was a kid. This show changed that. A couple of times a year, a friend and I take a four day vacation for what we call our “Billy Elliot Weekend”. The show helped me rediscover all the fun Manhattan has to offer. Over time, I’ve had the great pleasure of seeing David Alvarez, Trent Kowalik, Alex Ko, Michael Dameski, Joseph Harrington and Tade Biesinger play Billy. Each became my favorite after seeing him! I’ve even found an online community of likeminded Billy-enthusiasts with whom I’ve had the pleasure friending and chatting with over the past few years.

I don’t know exactly what it is about this story that resonates with me, it just does. Perhaps it’s Lee Hall’s wonderful style or Mr. Daldry’s beautiful direction. Or maybe it’s just the very idea of watching a young boy’s dreams come true, despite everything. But perhaps it’s as simple as the story’s message itself: always be yourself.

Whatever it is, I want to thank everyone connected to the show, on stage and behind the scenes, for their brilliant performances, endless energy and talent, inspiration and dedication and for giving me these wonderful memories.

Hopefully, in the future, we’ll see Billy again on Broadway and I’ll have another reason to head back to Manhattan.

Rick Crosby
Philadelphia
January 2, 2012
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

I'm with you, Cary. I'm not much for words and always have a hard time writing down my thoughts so here's my attempt:

When I first saw James Lomas as Billy in London back in 2005, I knew this show was special. Every human emotion was hit in under 3 hours and I left the theatre wanting more. No show has ever had an impact on me like this one.

Though Billy has ended on Broadway, I will take away wonderful memories: seeing Kiril during the opening preview, cheering from the mezzanine at Radio City Music Hall when BETM was piling up the Tony awards, seeing Trent and Kiril at their last performances, meeting the warm and gracious cast members at the stage door. Those memories will never fade.

Good luck to all the cast and crew of this incredible show. You've left an indelible mark on me and I wish you nothing but the best in what lies ahead for you.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

maria wrote:I want to thank all of the people on stage and behind stage who have put their hearts and souls into giving us an unforgettable theater experience.
Well said, Maria. They have seen firsthand how the show moves us, and they put every effort into re-creating that experience show after show after show to audience members every single day.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Todd wrote:I knew I had stumbled onto something special. Where else can you find something that makes you laugh, cry, and shake your head in amazement at what you're seeing up on the stage ?
Amen. It really is such an amazing feat to create 1) a fun musical + 2) a heartfelt play + 3) an amazing theatrical experience, all in one incredible show!

angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Billy Whiz wrote:This show has touched me in a way that no other ever has. It has everything and it throws all the emotions at you – sometimes in the same breath. I just pray that BETM returns to Broadway one day as Broadway will be a poorer place without it.
From your lips to God's and Stephen's ears! :D Thank you for the heartfelt thoughts, BW!

angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

clue wrote:All good things must come to an end and Billy Elliot has been a really good thing.
The phrase "only the good die young" has come to mind more than once lately. Thank you for the review, clue!

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for all the new messages. I can relate to each and every one in so many ways.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

rickyfc wrote:Since then, Elton John--one of my all-time favorite entertainers--cried at Cannes, the stage musical was conceived
It's very fitting that Billy Elliot The Musical was conceived of tears, and will soon end on Broadway with many tears. Thank you for your thoughts, Rick.

Sean

fifemajor
Small Boy

Post by fifemajor »

Dear Cast,

I want to thank you for your beautiful performances of Billy Elliot. I have become a Billy addict, and have seen the show 10 times, and will be at your final performance on Broadway.

I don't know how to describe my feelings for Billy Elliot, but it is such an uplifting and entertaining show. I know many other reviewers and fans are more eloquent than I, but every time I see the show I revisit so many emotions from sadness to happiness, frustration to elation. Every cast member has given brilliant performances, and have added their own unique style and character to the show.

I think that one of the reasons I am so enamored with the show is that much of the cast consists of kids, many the age of my students. I teach science to 8th graders on Long Island. I am so impressed with the talent of the Billys, Michaels, ballet girls, and Tall boys. The Billy's have been amazing. I have seen 7 of them on Broadway starting with Liam Redhead, then Michael Dameski, Joseph Harrington, Alex Ko, Jacob Clemente, Giuseppe Bausilio, and lastly Julian Elia. It is impossible to compare them; they are all so talented. This is a tribute to them, their families, and the casting director. I am still in awe that an 11-14 year old can act, dance, and sing at such a professional level. Their performances were all convincing and always brought me to tears. The Michaels have been just as talented, with a flair for comic relief. The ballet girls are not only talented dancers, but actresses as well. One needs to only look at their facial expressions during "Shine" to understand their abilities. There is not one moment in the show that was not convincing.

The adult actors are equally as talented, and carry the show with their acting, singing, and dancing as well. I guess as an educator, I am impressed when teens and pre-teens carry so much of a show, with skills equal to adult performers.

My only regret is that the show is closing so soon. I will have cherished memories of it forever. I also want to thank the cast, particularly the child actors who have been so gracious at the stage door. It is a thrill to be able to meet these kids after the show and see that they really are kids; just some who are so incredibly talented. They were always approachable, and sincere in talking to the fans.

Best wishes to the cast and thanks for sharing your talents through this wonderful show. Thanks to Elton John and Stephen Daldry for creating the musical and bringing the show to Broadway. It has enriched my life and I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to see and enjoy the show so many times.

Gary Vorwald

Return to “Special Shows - Broadway”