Have there been any Billys with braces in London?

tzwicky
George

Have there been any Billys with braces in London?

Post by tzwicky »

I just saw a post and photo of an Italian Billy, Alessandro Frola, and he's got a full set of braces going on.

I am almost sure I have never seen a London Billy with braces. Same goes for Michael. Might there have been a Tall Boy who had braces?

I think I recall a couple or more Ballet Girls with braces. Maybe even a Debbie with braces.

Experts. Time to nudge my failing memory.

tzwicky
Darth_Revan
Ballet Girl

Re: Have there been any Billys with braces in London?

Post by Darth_Revan »

I'm not sure how relevant a bracelet or any other physical appearance of the children might be
---
István
tzwicky
George

Jus' wondering …….

Post by tzwicky »

Jus' wondering. I don't think there was any connotation towards relevance or non-relevance.

After my LOTS of shows and 100s of Billys, Michaels, Tall Boys, Debbies and Ballet Girls, it would be interesting to me. At some point other than the joy of each and every performance, there are the tiny little details that are interesting on a further level. Just like little details on stage with the set that have changed in my 10 years.
Hell …. I still bristle at the make-believe Polaroid images used in the show these days. I got a lot of enjoyment out of seeing at each performance if the photo was just a blur, or a miraculous image of Billy in the moment. They still sell film for the SX-70 at Urban Outfitters of all places.

tzwicky
Borrobil
Ballet Girl

Post by Borrobil »

I've never seen any braces (retainers) on any performers in BETM in the UK. I may have imagined it but I think I read, in an advert for a Ballet Girls open audition years ago, there was a requirement that Ballet Girls don't have them. I can't see how a Billy would do the boxing stunts safely with a front facing brace anyhow. Now days you can get rear facing braces and other practically invisible ones, so we would never know. Update - found one ballet girl on Ryan's last night photo with a full ceramic (poorly visible) brace, but that's unusual I think.
~ Paul ~
tzwicky
George

I knew that an expert/curious person would surface!

Post by tzwicky »

Thank you Borrobil.

I never would have thought to check out casting requirements.

You are a scholar and a gentleman.

tzwicky
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

I have certainly seen Ballet Girls wearing a brace.
fellfromatree
Audience Member

Post by fellfromatree »

Nothing like reviving an old topic...but Oliver Lohk that's currently playing Billy in Malmö has braces. He's certainly the only other one I can think of who's had them.

Return to “Chat about Billy Elliot the Musical - London”