Baltimore, MD

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baltimore, MD

Post by porschesrule »

Christmas in Baltimore (12-18-2012 to 12-30-2012) has been added to the Tour itinerary, per the official Tour website:

http://www.billyelliottour.com/us-tour-tickets
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Baltimore, MD

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I know a few super fans who will be pleased with this news. :)

That seems like a very tough transition to close in Austin on 12/16 and open in Baltimore two days later.
:/
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

CJ-Rochester wrote:That seems like a very tough transition to close in Austin on 12/16 and open in Baltimore two days later.
It's the typical Tour schedule -- close on a Sunday and open in the next city on a Tuesday, with a Monday travel day.

After Baltimore, that same two day turnaround will be the case with the next stop in Ottawa.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Hopefully, this is the start of a new tradition. Billy Elliot The Musical has a Christmas connection and should perform in the Washington-Baltimore area every year for the holidays.The New York City and Norfolk areas would be ideal and profitable in November before and after Thanksgiving. Nothing stabilizes any business more than becoming part of a tradition..
BillyElliotLover
Small Boy

Post by BillyElliotLover »

I hope my parents will be willing to drive an hour when it comes to Baltimore! I'm REALLY excited now :D
"I DONT WANT A CHILDHOOD, I WANT TO BE A BALLET DANCER"
I <3 BILLY ELLIOT

June 12th, 2011- Peter Mazurowski/Neil McCaffrey/Ben Cook
December 13th, 2011- Ty Forhan/Jacob Zelonky/Lex Ishimoto
January 3rd, 2012- Ty Forhan/Ben Cook/Kylend Hetherington
January 13th, 2012- JP Viernes/Ben Cook/Lex Ishimoto
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

porschesrule wrote:
CJ-Rochester wrote:That seems like a very tough transition to close in Austin on 12/16 and open in Baltimore two days later.
It's the typical Tour schedule -- close on a Sunday and open in the next city on a Tuesday, with a Monday travel day.

After Baltimore, that same two day turnaround will be the case with the next stop in Ottawa.
My point was the distance the set will have to trucked. You can get from Baltimore to Ottawa in about 8 or 9 hours, so no big deal. Google maps says it's a 26 hour drive from Austin to Baltimore. I would have thought they would build in an extra day when they are making the long hauls.
:/
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

It's time for BETM to have two complete stage sets. The cost would be reasonable and be made up the first time a long trucking expense is avoided. This would also avoid the Sunday night bum's rush that can ruin the end of the show. I believe that they even cut the Finale at one show so that they could start breaking down the set.
I'm sure that Sunday night work is overtime and very expensive. I hope that the US/Canadian Tour will become permanent, and cutting this expense will help the profits without harming the show.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

accessmenj wrote:I believe that they even cut the Finale at one show so that they could start breaking down the set.
That happened in Philly. I was at that performance.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

CJ-Rochester wrote:My point was the distance the set will have to trucked. You can get from Baltimore to Ottawa in about 8 or 9 hours, so no big deal. Google maps says it's a 26 hour drive from Austin to Baltimore. I would have thought they would build in an extra day when they are making the long hauls.
There is only one show scheduled on that Sunday, December 16th, and it's at 1:00pm. They must feel if they're on the road in the early evening it'll give them sufficient time to get to Baltimore to erect the set for Tuesday night.
accessmenj wrote:It's time for BETM to have two complete stage sets.
I think that's a great idea. I've thought right along that if they found reasonable storage locations, they should have one set in the eastern part of the country and one in the western part and then utilize the one closest for each stop.
accessmenj wrote:I'm sure that Sunday night work is overtime and very expensive.
As all Tour stops end on Sundays, I'm not sure what you're getting at, unless you're advocating that by having two sets, they could put off breaking down until Monday. Might be worth looking into, but that could possibly conflict with the next show coming into that theatre.

If you were regularly using two sets, though, wouldn't that necessitate utilizing two sets of trucks for transport and thereby increase transportation costs?
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Storage has to be much cheaper than some of the trips. Look at this July. BETM finishes in the Midwest, goes to Boston and then back to the Midwest. If they could break down the set on Monday morning and store it, they could save a major transportation cost to and from the East. They could also earn extra income by having two shows on Sunday.
This tour seems to have better business sense than the first. Maybe someone from the tour watches this forum.

Return to “Billy Elliot the Musical - N. Amer./Int'l Tour”