Clearwater Reviews

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Clearwater Reviews

Post by kport »

angelenroute wrote:
accessmenj wrote:BETM will be an even bigger hit when it returns to areas where the audience has had a chance to talk up the show. I'm sure that this is obvious to the tour, and BETM will return after hiatus.
From your keyboard to Stephen Daldry's eyes!
And Sir Elton's! He also has the means to keep it going.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Clearwater is a good example of the big response the show gets returning to the same area. In Tampa it was a big success and I tried to get tickets months ago for Ruth Eckert Hall and way back then it was almost 3/4 sold out. I don,t know why it's only there for 3 shows but an 8 show run would have almost sold out at every show.

I am at McDonalds for lunch before the Mat show. I eat at this "fancy-ass" restaurant because my BETM obsession has drained all my funds, I only have a few Passos left

I am hoping that the folks in the center seats at this Mat show have good bladders, I can not stand it when every one in the row has to stand up during the show. We will see how it goes I guess it all "depends"!!!!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

jdmag44 wrote:I am hoping that the folks in the center seats at this Mat show have good bladders, I can not stand it when every one in the row has to stand up during the show. We will see how it goes I guess it all "depends"!!!!
:lol:
pvmichaels
Small Boy

Post by pvmichaels »

jdmag44 wrote:
I am at McDonalds for lunch before the Mat show. I eat at this "fancy-ass" restaurant because my BETM obsession has drained all my funds, I only have a few Passos left!!
I am in the same boat as you! Between seeing the three shows in Clearwater, and seeing it in other places, I have been working hard to raise the 50p!

Mike
Broadway-
Billy- Jacob 2x, Joseph 3x, Tade 4x, Peter 4x, Alex 1x, Giuseppe 1x, Julian 2x
Michael- Jake 1x, Cameron 7x, Neil 5x, Jack 4x

North American Tour-
Billy- Daniel 2x, Giuseppe 2x, Kylend 1x, JP 1x, Ty 1x, Zach 1x, Noah 2x, Ben 2x, Mitchell 3x, Drew 1x
Michael- Griffin 2x, Jacob 4x, Cameron 2x, Sam 4x, Jake 4x

London-
Billy- Scott 1x, Ryan 4x, Adam 2x, Harris 5x, Kaine 3x, Harrison 3x, Redman 2x

Michael- Joe M 5x, Connor L 4x, Connor K 4x, Reece 3x, thomas 2x, Jack 2x
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Wednesday 2.00 p.m.

Mitchell....Billy
Jake........Michael
Sam........Tall/Posh Boy

I can ditto my review from last night's performance and add that Mitchell was fantastic! Such a powerhouse that defies what the eye sees.....he can sing, act, and dance. Brother can he dance! The power in his Angry Dance was astounding; the grace in Electricity almost defies description. Jake was the perfect foil as Michael .. they seem to have developed a patter during Expressing Yourself.

The audience (virtually full) was amazing and responded well; even better than last night. They gave Mitchell a lengthy standing ovation after Angry Dance, Dream Ballet (again, no fly by wire), a huge one after Electricity; and the entire ensemble had a lengthy standing ovation after the Finale. The comments on the way out were 100% favorable.

Why only three performances? Clearwater wants a week!!!! We may block the runway at Tampa tomorrow!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote: They gave Mitchell a lengthy standing ovation after Angry Dance, Dream Ballet (again, no fly by wire), a huge one after Electricity; and the entire ensemble had a lengthy standing ovation after the Finale.
Wow! That's a lot of standing ovations!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Wed. 8.00 p.m.

Ben ..... Billy
Sam .....Michael
Jake......Tall Boy/Posh Boy

Ben rounded out the trio of performances at the Ruth Eckerd Hall this evening, and all I can say is: Wow! He performed as though he were vying to be crowned 'the ultimate professional Billy' at the moment, and his acting has acquired a depth of quality and maturity that touches and inspires. We know that his dancing is outstanding, as it was tonight. He is the 'older Billy' among the quartet, playing the role as the bigger one amongst the other kids, a role last occupied by Kylend. Even when there was a little slip in Dream Ballet, he recovered instantly and carried on without missing a beat (still no aerial flying, I am afraid; word has it that the stage was a tad too small to execute it safely).

Fine performances were turned in by the whole cast. They all seemed to enjoy the audience response. I was sorry not to have the chance to see Drew perform, as I have heard so many glowing things about him; but all the others were fabulous. Special mention has to be made of the audience, which was into the performance from the beginning, and ended it with a standing ovation followed by remaining standing through the entire Finale, something I have not seen before. Each of the three performances were about 90% full (about 2000), with the seats highest up blocked off because of the lighting and sound booth. I would call it a virtual sell-out. There is little doubt Clearwater could have filled the hall for a week, but now it is Richmond's turn to shine. We Floridians can wait for Naples, Jacksonville and West Palm Beach!
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Clearwater. Wed Mat.
MITCHELL/JAKE

This is my second time seeing Mitchell and he got to me again. I really like this wonderful new little Billy. Again I was impressed with his acting,so very expressive,so natural. His cute wide eyed expressions along with his little boy singing voice add to the emotional power of the story. He is a very good dancer and really shines where it counts in angry dance and electricity. The crowd loved him and were on their feet many times.

As I was leaving my seat a man in front of me turned and asked "How did you like the show?"
I said I had seen the show many times and that I really liked this new Billy. He gave a big smile and said with great pride "He is my son". He introduced me to his wife. I asked him if he was aware of this forum and he said he was very aware of the forum and how supportive we are of the cast and especially the Billies. I can only imagine how wonderful it must be for the parents of these amazing young Billies to see their child perform.
Later As I headed for the parking lot, I walked by an SUV and noticed it was Mitchell,s dad standing next to it, along with Mitchell. He introduced me to Mitchell and I must say being only a few inches away from him it is striking how very small he is. I was so happy to be able to tell him what a great job he did. What a nice kid and what a nice family. It was a privilege to meet them.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Clearwater Wed Eve
BEN/SAM

Oh Ben. Always a great performance. I never tire of watching him take command of the stage and do a masterful job. I noticed that he did an amazing amount of crossovers with the jump rope and did his signature back flip with a half twist off the piano. His electricity - WOW
Overall Clearwater was a great ride,even if we didn't fly.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Sound like Clearwater was a great run, but the flying rig apparently got lost in transit. :? I hope it is back in Richmond.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing Ben again soon.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”