Site Moderator

Clearwater Reviews

Post by kport »

Tuesday 8 p.m.

Noah Parets - Billy
Sam Poon - Michael
Jake Kitchen (TB/PB)
Susan Haefner - Grandma

A sunny day and a warm evening welcomed the cast to its first performance in Clearwater's Ruth Eckerd Hall, which accommodated about 2000 for the evening performance. The hall is slightly out of the ordinary in that it has continental seating, which means that the only aisles are to each side, a fact which did not prove to be an issue for Noah or Cal Alexander (Small Boy), but may have challenged a few of us who had to clambor over 60 people to reach our seats in the middle! Noah gave yet another near-flawless performance; the audience's response to his 'Electricity' was a deafening roar of approval and a lengthy standing ovation the likes of which I have rarely heard. Noah is a real star and a true triple threat - he is probably at the top of his game right now. Sam added some new and funny twists to 'Expressing Yourself'; Samantha Blaire Cutler was first rate as Debbie; the Ballet Girls continued to shine, as did Janet Dickinson. A surprise was Susan Haefner as Grandma; I really enjoyed her take on the role and thought she got the accent down pat, and the audience loved her. Cullen seems to be in his stride as Tony; and I cannot overestimate how impressed I am with Rich Hebert's 'Dad'; I think I can safely say that that role is 'his' now. The same can be said for regulars Joel Blum (George) and Patrick Wetzell (Mr Braithwaite). There were a few technical hitches; toward the beginning there was an almighty loud hissing sound, as though a gas canister had gone off, but no one flinched (except a few in the audience), and unfortunately there was no wire flying in "Dream Ballet'.- my first performance without it (yet the way they got around it was smooth and slick). The audience was very receptive, especially in the second half; it gave everyone a lengthy standing ovation at the end, especially the 'man of the match', Noah Parets.

It was an excellent opening night! It was a pleasure to meet several other forum members as well.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clearwater Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for starting the Clearwater reviews, kport. :D I hope other forum members will follow suit with more.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

kport wrote:The audience was very receptive, especially in the second half, and gave everyone a lengthy standing ovation at the end, especially the 'man of the match', Noah Parets.
Sounds like the show is off to a great start in Clearwater!! I also noted last night several tweets from cast members regarding how great the audience was. They do, indeed, notice!

Thanks for the review, kport.
pvmichaels
Small Boy

Post by pvmichaels »

I have to agree with kport's review. I was there for the first night in Clearwater. I actually brought my parents. They were tired of listening to me how awesome the show was, so they wanted to see it for themselves...and THEY LOVED IT! They even said is was much better than Wicked which they saw a couple of weeks ago in Tampa. I was like 'duh'!

This was the first time seeing Noah and Jake. His version of Billy was outstanding and he is the 'perfect package' of a fine dancer and actor'. I have nothing bad to say about his performance nor Sam's.

I was curious at the start of the show about how the crowd would react to some of the content. The crowd was considerably older, and many sitting around us said they haven't heard much about the show and didn't know what to expect. Their reaction to 'Express Yourself' and the other scenes with Michael and Billy kissing and such was mixed, not the reactions I was use to. There were some laughs, but not as many as in other areas. I think some were more shocked than anything else. With that said, there wasn't a single person sitting at the end of the either the goodbye scene nor the very end of the show. Noah received a standing ovation after 'Electricity' and, while walking out, heard nothing but praise.

The only bad aspect of the night was when the lady sitting next to me heard how many times I saw the show, she had this bewildered look on her face. But oh well! My parents even said that they would like to see it again! I was like, lets take a trip to London (hehe, if my parents pay for the trip, then that would be awesome!).

I will be there for the two shows today and am not sure how the shows can be better than last night! Either way, I will cherish every minute there! :)
Broadway-
Billy- Jacob 2x, Joseph 3x, Tade 4x, Peter 4x, Alex 1x, Giuseppe 1x, Julian 2x
Michael- Jake 1x, Cameron 7x, Neil 5x, Jack 4x

North American Tour-
Billy- Daniel 2x, Giuseppe 2x, Kylend 1x, JP 1x, Ty 1x, Zach 1x, Noah 2x, Ben 2x, Mitchell 3x, Drew 1x
Michael- Griffin 2x, Jacob 4x, Cameron 2x, Sam 4x, Jake 4x

London-
Billy- Scott 1x, Ryan 4x, Adam 2x, Harris 5x, Kaine 3x, Harrison 3x, Redman 2x

Michael- Joe M 5x, Connor L 4x, Connor K 4x, Reece 3x, thomas 2x, Jack 2x
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I have to agree with pvmichaels' assessment of the audience; they were (this IS Florida) largely retired folk and took a little while to warm up. There were fewer children or teens than I have ever seen attending a performance before. Prior to the start, a gentleman to my right regaled his wife (and thirty or so others in the vicinity) how appalling unions are; how the miners deserved to lose their jobs if the coal they produced was not as cheap as imported coal; at the interval he tutt-tutted about 'cross-dressing' boys (I must say that his wife was very stoic); the gasp from him when Michael warms Billy's hands and kisses him, was about as audible as his pre-performance speech. I think we were waiting for it!

And yet, something happened. At the end, he was the first one on his feet in the standing ovation, and cheered as loudly as anyone for Noah and Sam.

Looking back, I think his 'road to Damascus' moment came (as it does for many the first time) during 'Electricity'. And Noah wasn't dancing 'bally' - he was flying, he was soaring, he was everything that dance should be. Movement. Grace. Life. It converted a man who came to the show with very set opinions and a desire to have a bad time.

(I have seen the same at London matinees, when school parties turn up, often with the usual 'cool crowd of lads' who are determined to take the mick if possible - only to see them become the most enthusiastic people cheering and applauding at the Finale. )

There is a stand in the foyer from a local group which promotes a campaign to fight bullying. I had a chance to speak to the lady there about Noah's involvement with Project Moves in Brockton, Mass., (he is seen in one of their videos on Youtube *) which seems to be doing the same work, and gave her info to link up with them. Thinking back to that gentleman sitting next to me, it suddenly dawned on me that perhaps - just perhaps - The Billy Elliot Tour is doing more to bring this anti-bullying message home to America than anything else, in a real and convincing way. People live Billy's experience, and become invested in it. And that, if nothing else, is why I would like to see the Tour continue, and bring this message to those who need to hear and to see it.

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx6AQZF6 ... el&list=UL
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Clearwater Tues Eve. NOAH/SAM

The previous reviews hit the many highlights, Noah at his best, audience wild response to Electricity. Great show. I enjoyed seeing a new person in the role of Grandma, she did a fine job.
The Ruth Eckerd Hall is unlike anything I have ever seen. It had what the movie theaters call stadium seating affording an wonderful unobstructed view. Abe Lincoln with his stovetop hat would not have been in the way of your perfect view, add to that state of the art modern acoustics. Wow great sound. Ever word of dialogue was crystal clear. HOWEVER no center isle
With many rows of as many as 50 people was a real problem. Many we're late and everyone had to stand while they crawled over 20 people which took several minutes. Very frustrating!!
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

kport wrote:Prior to the start, a gentleman to my right regaled his wife (and thirty or so others in the vicinity) how appalling unions are; how the miners deserved to lose their jobs if the coal they produced was not as cheap as imported coal; at the interval he tutt-tutted about 'cross-dressing' boys (I must say that his wife was very stoic); the gasp from him when Michael warms Billy's hands and kisses him, was about as audible as his pre-performance speech. I think we were waiting for it!

And yet, something happened. At the end, he was the first one on his feet in the standing ovation, and cheered as loudly as anyone for Noah and Sam.

...Thinking back to that gentleman sitting next to me, it suddenly dawned on me that perhaps - just perhaps - The Billy Elliot Tour is doing more to bring this anti-bullying message home to America than anything else, in a real and convincing way. People live Billy's experience, and become invested in it. And that, if nothing else, is why I would like to see the Tour continue, and bring this message to those who need to hear and to see it.

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx6AQZF6 ... el&list=UL
I can't tell you how great it was to read this post. Thank you, and I agree wholeheartedly!
pvmichaels
Small Boy

Post by pvmichaels »

Kport,

Thank you for sharing that link. I too talked to the representatives and was very impressed. I didn't know Noah was part of the organization or in the video. The video really moved me and I do think Billy Elliot does the same thing. As a teacher, I have discussed bullying with my students and more than one student had brought up of movies and such that help with anti-bullying. Two students had brought up Billy Elliot and boys in dancing (even without my prompting). I just might use the video next time I have this discussing! Thanks again! :)

Mike
Broadway-
Billy- Jacob 2x, Joseph 3x, Tade 4x, Peter 4x, Alex 1x, Giuseppe 1x, Julian 2x
Michael- Jake 1x, Cameron 7x, Neil 5x, Jack 4x

North American Tour-
Billy- Daniel 2x, Giuseppe 2x, Kylend 1x, JP 1x, Ty 1x, Zach 1x, Noah 2x, Ben 2x, Mitchell 3x, Drew 1x
Michael- Griffin 2x, Jacob 4x, Cameron 2x, Sam 4x, Jake 4x

London-
Billy- Scott 1x, Ryan 4x, Adam 2x, Harris 5x, Kaine 3x, Harrison 3x, Redman 2x

Michael- Joe M 5x, Connor L 4x, Connor K 4x, Reece 3x, thomas 2x, Jack 2x
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Does this seem like a dying show? The theater is crowded.The crowd is excited.The show's message transforms almost everyone it touches. Many want to view the show again!

If there was any doubt as to whether Billy Elliot The Musical could make a success of returning to the same areas where the tour has already been, this return to the Tampa/Orlando area proves that the previous visits only serve as good promotion for later visits.

My visit to the Straz Center(Tampa) two years ago only lacked one thing: the audience was not very enthusiastic. Orlando was better. Now the word has spread, and more are excited about any return performance. BETM will be an even bigger hit when it returns to areas where the audience has had a chance to talk up the show. I'm sure that this is obvious to the tour, and BETM will return after hiatus.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

accessmenj wrote:BETM will be an even bigger hit when it returns to areas where the audience has had a chance to talk up the show. I'm sure that this is obvious to the tour, and BETM will return after hiatus.
From your keyboard to Stephen Daldry's eyes!

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”