Site Admin

Calgary Reviews

Post by ERinVA »

Two opposite opininons of the show in Calgary:

http://immrfabulous.com/2013/03/27/bill ... rs-canada/
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BEtourfan
Tony

Re: Calgary Reviews

Post by BEtourfan »

Here's a thoughtful and positive review of the show.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/entertainm ... story.html
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

ERinVA wrote:Two opposite opininons of the show in Calgary:

http://immrfabulous.com/2013/03/27/bill ... rs-canada/
Perhaps had this reviewer attended all three hours, he or she would have enjoyed it!
I found the 2 hour show filled with long dramatic pauses followed by embarrassing slap schtick punch lines cringe-worthy; many times I waited for the slide whistle or rim-shot sound effect to finish the ‘zinger’.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

And a not so favorable review -- though the reviewer loved the performances of Noah Parets and Sam Poon:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/03/28/bi ... ow-lacking
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a not so positive review from something called Applause-meter:

http://applause-meter.com/2013/03/27/bi ... al-review/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Actually, I would call that review very harsh. Even the harshest critics of the show usually find the positive elements in a Billy's performance. Not so here.
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:Actually, I would call that review very harsh. Even the harshest critics of the show usually find the positive elements in a Billy's performance. Not so here.
I agree. I posted a comment to the writer. So awful to trash poor Noah like that. He's just a bairn for God's sake.
Magsalama
Audience Member

Post by Magsalama »

Hi everyone. While this is my first post to this forum, I have been a religious follower of it since Billy Elliot first opened in NY. I am not a veteran of Billy Elliot shows like most on here, last night only marked my third time ever seeing the show. As I live in Calgary, the only other two times I was lucky enough to see the show was on pilgrimages to NY in 2009 and 2010. My first ever Billy Elliot show just happened to be Kiril's final performance in October 2009 (what in introduction!). My second show was one of Jacob's first in May 2010. It's been dry run since, but I was so thrilled to find out last year that the Nth American tour would hit Calgary.

I thought it was appropriate to post a comment about the reviews in Calgary as some of what is being advertised in paper and blogs could not be further from the truth, and the truth is in the reaction from the audience.

I'm not sure if it is just the "Canadian" in us (aside from the negative reviewers - how rude!), but the auditorium was nearly packed for last night's performance with Drew as Billy. Right from the get go, the audience was extremely responsive, with thunderous applause at the end of every (EVERY) single scene, no matter how significant, and equally riddled with massive bouts of both laughter and tears depending on the scene involved. Aside from the heavy-weight characters (the audience was VERY protective of Drew as Billy - ensuring their appreciation was known at every interval), Grandma, Dad and Michael always got resounding applause and appreciation from the crowd (thought the entire building would crumble under the laughter from "the nutcracker' comment and Grandma flipping off everyone). Not to mention the all important (and so rightfully deserved) standing ovations at the end of Electricity, as well as tap number at the end of the show with the entire ensemble.

I had a friend in the audience the night before (Weds show) and he echoed pretty much the same response.

The only glitch that happened on Thursday's show was something must have gone wrong during the Dream Ballet sequence, as the cable came down to hook up Billy for his flying scene... and seconds later... was retracted. No Billy flying tonight. Billy and Older Billy paused for a moment (ONLY a moment) and then gracefully exited the stage in complete synch. The stage was left empty for about 20 seconds, until Billy popped back in his final position. Honestly, if you hadn't seen the show before, I doubt you would have noticed this wee hiccup. My friend did confirm Billy flew on Wednesday night, so it just must have been a tech issue, but Drew did a fantastic job of simply pushing through as if nothing happened.

And what can I saw about Drew? He blew me away. Once again, as an avid follower of this site, I've come to know the talents of all of the Billy's, so my expectations were pretty high knowing the calibre of performers that are cast - but wow. His electricity brought the house down. I thought he was going to literally disintegrate into the ether as he was spinning so fast. I was half expecting him to self-combust right on stage - he was that "electric". And what a beautiful singing voice he has. I know often that singing isn't always a Billy's strong suit, but his voice is clear and strong yet sweet, and he nailed every note with the appropriate amount of emotion and humour. His comedic timing was also spot on, as often sometime lines get rushed. But all of the young performers seemed to really know how and when to say their lines depending on the response from the audience (and let me tell you... there were times the laughter was so uproariously loud that the characters had to wait quite a while to sew in their next line).

I was also wildly impressed with Rich Herbert as Dad. Again, I am only comparing my previous performances with the amazing Greg Jbara, but Rich Herbert did such a wonderful job. Such sincerity in his performance. And of course, because I took my 80 year old mother to the show, she admitted Grandma was one of her favourite characters.

Anyway, this will probably be my one and only post (unless I am fortunate enough to catch another show sometime in the not too distant future).

Thanks to everyone for keeping this forum alive and running. I love escaping to it once or twice a week to keep up with the current casts' success and the former casts new beginnings.

Cheers / Mags
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Welcome to the forum, Mags and thanks for the review. Nice to hear how much the Calgary audiences enjoyed the show. :D

(yes, Kiril's last show was quite an introduction!)

Regards,
Rich
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for a great review, Mags. It's good to know that we had a forum follower and bona fide BETM fan there to give us the real scoop on Calgary's reaction to the show. Welcome to the forum, and keep posting! :)
Ellen

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”