George

Las Vegas Reviews

Post by gpcolo »

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Las Vegas Reviews

Post by porschesrule »

Here's another and this one is sort of a mixed bag with the reviewer throwing out some criticisms that are sure to rankle some forum members. For example, while liberally praising Mitchell Tobin's Billy, he goes on to say:

"Tobin even overcomes underwhelming choreography and an uninspired Elton John score with his sweeping movements and razzle-dazzle footwork. In short, the kid carries this production with gobsmacking confidence and skill."

Um, 'underwhelming choreography'? That would be Peter Darling's Tony Award winning choreography you're talking about, Mr. Critic?

http://lasvegascitylife.com/sections/ae ... heart.html
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

porschesrule wrote:Here's another and this one is sort of a mixed bag with the reviewer throwing out some criticisms that are sure to rankle some forum members. For example, while liberally praising Mitchell Tobin's Billy, he goes on to say:

"Tobin even overcomes underwhelming choreography and an uninspired Elton John score with his sweeping movements and razzle-dazzle footwork. In short, the kid carries this production with gobsmacking confidence and skill."

Um, 'underwhelming choreography'? That would be Peter Darling's Tony Award winning choreography you're talking about, Mr. Critic?

http://lasvegascitylife.com/sections/ae ... heart.html
Nice review ... but "underwhelming choreography"??? :roll:
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Tue 14th May
Mitch/Jake/Sam

First a huge shout out to the unsung heroes of the tour - all the backstage crew and truckies who dismantle, transport and reassemble the stage in such a remarkably short time frame. As we came out of the final show in San Jose, the trucks were already being loaded and less than 46 hours later the show opened in Las Vegas. I imagine the actual time frame was probably even shorter than that as there would presumably have been a dry run and sound or lighting checks before the real show too! An incredible feat and unique to the tour so thanks guys for all your hard work which makes this possible.

Mitch was playing Billy for opening night in Vegas and it was only the second time I have seen him, the other being his last show in San Jose. Wow, wow, wow! What a pocket dynamo this kid is. Phenomenal acting ballet and tap. It is hard to believe that he can produce so much power in Angry Dance but he did. His Electricity was terrific too with masses of wonderful aerials. I have often thought that the best acting is found with older Billy's who have had time to develop their interpretations but Mitch (like Harrison in London) has very expressive and highly talented acting from the start. His very emotional Letter scene brought out the tissues from many in the audience and he got huge standing ovations at the end

The only very minor negative, which is often common to many young stars early on, is that occasionally he will rush his lines and that can mean he is difficult to understand. I am sure that over time his delivery will become even clearer. Nora Brennan and her team have done it again and found yet another superstar in Mitch. Awesome and I hope to see him perform again before the end of the week!
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
KiwiT
Small Boy

Post by KiwiT »

Thu 16th May
Drew/Jake/Sam & Ben

Having just missed out on Drew's final show in San Jose I was eagerly looking forward to seeing him for the first time in Vegas and tonight was the night!

Needless to say Drew is yet another wonderful Billy with unbelievable ballet skills. He spins like a top with clock like precision. When he spins across the stage to Mrs Wilkinson in his first ballet class he received rapturous applause far louder than I have heard before at this point of the show. I knew then that this was going to be another superb performance.

Another thing that struck me about Drew is that his voice is really clear so it easy to make out what he is saying. Indeed those sat by me said they had no trouble at all making out what he was saying despite the unfamiliar Geordie accent. Great job Drew!

Jake has impressed me with his unique take on Michael, the hilarious "Shazam", slapping Billy on the hand when he does not take enough care putting on the separates top and adjusting his tutu to fit his bum being just a few of his moves.

Cal is a wonderful small boy and as well as all the usual press up highlights, his dancing to the radio a the start is always cute. In recent shows he seems to have had his line changed so that he says "Fat Ass" to George when leaving the boxing class. This did not seem nearly as effective to me so I was glad to see that he reverted to saying "Fat Bastard" instead tonight and by the audience reaction they seemed to prefer that too!

I suspect that I have seen Samantha playing Debbie more often than I have seen anyone else in the role and she just seems to be perfect for the part. It has always seemed a shame to me that both Debbie and Michael get only a very short opportunity for applause in the finale because they both deserve so much more.

Drew's Dream Ballet was exquisite and his Electricity was both flawless and stunning. As I have often commented I know nothing about ballet but when it is done as well as Drew does it you cannot fail to be moved. Out of all the Billy's that I have seen only a handful have moved me so much with their ballet. Terrific!

At the start of Act 2 there was an announcement that Sam was to be replaced by Ben as Tall Boy/Posh Boy. Whilst obviously hoping that whatever prevented Sam from continuing will be short lived and that he can end his time in BETM on a high note this weekend it was an unexpected but awesome bonus to see Ben in the role once again. It was a wonderful reminder of the first time I saw Ben take the Broadway stage as TB/PB almost four years ago. He has of course come a very long way since then and was clearly enjoying the occasion having a ball in Maggie Thatcher and milking the audition scene.
61 Brilliant Billys, 44 Magnificent Michaels
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

KiwiT wrote:It has always seemed a shame to me that both Debbie and Michael get only a very short opportunity for applause in the finale because they both deserve so much more.
AMEN!
tankntonic
Ballet Girl

Post by tankntonic »

Kiwi said

It has always seemed a shame to me that both Debbie and Michael get only a very short opportunity for applause in the finale because they both deserve so much

Wow, that really always bothers me too. Debbie should give Michael a few seconds of attention there and she should get more time too..

They are a huge part of the show, they deserve more !
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for all of the great reviews KiwiT. I couldn't agree more that Michael and Debbie get short changed during their bows.

It would have been great to see Ben once again as Tall Boy/Posh Boy. He must have loved the chance to play that role one last time.
-Chris
:/
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Well, frankly, I've always felt Billy was also short changed in his curtain call. He is the core, the sub and substance of the musical.

Indeed, he does get his own curtain call, but it is so brief prior to his waving the entire cast back on stage, I've not infrequently felt audiences were denied their desire to press on with a sense of their appreciation for his performance alone for a more sustained period of time.

This is, of course, my own personal feeling. I would have a singular spot light on him, have him stand there with a glorious smile on his face, and allow him to suck up his audience's enthusiasm to the extent they may exhaust their feelings for his performance. Both he and his audience will know and sense when the limits of that appreciation has been met.

Colin
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

AGREE AGREE AGREE Debbie and especially Michael get short changed on the curtain call. Colin is absolutely right about giving the audience enough time to show their appreciation for Billy. I for one really miss the giant lighted "BILLY" sign at the end. It always gave me goosebumps!

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”