Grand Rapids Reviews

atreyu
George

Re: Grand Rapids Reviews

Post by atreyu »

Beautifully written, as always, Colin. Many thanks for your wonderful essays, they consistently capture what many of us feel about the BETM experience but lack the ability to verbalize. Certainly not as eloquently as your reviews.

We'll miss you physically in Hartford, but your spirit will be there!
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Colin

Thanks for this and all your great past reviews. You captured these Grand rapids shows and especially the wonderful 3 remaining Billies so beautifully. You always manage to capture the essence of their special talent.

More than that THANK YOU for the pleasure of your company at three very special weekend Billythons. I will treasure our conversations.

Joe
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

As others have already said Colin, this so was beautifully written. One thing I will definitely miss about the show ending in North America is reading your eloquent reviews every few months.
-Chris
:/
inspired
Tall Boy

Post by inspired »

It was bittersweet being in Grand Rapids this past weekend, but I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Noah on Saturday will be the last Billy I see for a long while. The three shows I saw were all terrific, and if you haven't seen this group of three, you'll be very well pleased in Hartford. Colin did a fine job expressing what we saw, so I won't do reviews per se, but I'd like to throw in a few comments.

I've seen Noah and Drew before, and wow, they just get better. Loved both of them for their acting as much as their dancing. This was my first time seeing Mitchell, and even though knowing what everyone has said before, it is still a shock the first time you see how small he is. In three scenes - sitting on the stool during Grandma's song, and the two toilets - his feet didn't even reach the floor, dangling in the air. But this just helped bring home the vulnerable side of Billy that resonates with so many of us, and trust me, he is a dynamo.

It was interesting seeing the subtle changes made in the show that others have mentioned. I picked up on two more. As Act II opens, and the four boys come up on stage ("Dig Deep for the Miners!"), when George asks Small Boy if he is downhearted, and SB says yes and puts the pail over his head, George no longer taps his microphone on the pail. The other change I noticed came at the beginning of the show, when the community is singing The Stars Look Down. Near the end of the number, when they go a capella, the children weaving in and out of the adults always bantered and made noise, a touch I've always loved. No more. The kids are all silent now. I'd love to know the rationale for all these little tweaks, just for curiosity's sake.

There's a point in Shine that Mrs. W. sits on Billy's lap, and he yells out. I have never heard the yelling so loud as when Drew did it on Saturday. It was very clear over all the music - and funny. And for the first and only time in the shows I've seen, Michael got applause upon his exit from the winter scene. Way cool.

The weather was good, and the stage door was right out front, much like NY and Toronto, so access to the cast afterward was easy. There were also many super fans there, some who had not known of the forum (welcome Eli and Ann) and one who has seen 95 shows but doesn't post here a lot (Scotty?). Eight of us went to dinner between shows on Saturday, and I much appreciated the camaraderie for this, my last BillyFest. The show is indeed in great shape still, and I saw no drop off in energy at all. My (jealous ;) ) best wishes go with all of you who will welcome our "baby" into your presence during this upcoming week and give it the sendoff it deserves.

Mark
28 shows, 17 Billys, 11 cities
SenseiEli
Audience Member

Post by SenseiEli »

Thank you for the forum welcomes here! My friend Ann and I made the journey to Grand Rapids for our final "Billython" (as we learned it is called). We have been going to the show whenever it was drivable from Nashville and this time we hopped an airplane. Sadly, this was our last Billy as we are unable to make it to the remaining shows.

But what an AMAZING weekend it was. We learned early on that multiple shows is the way to go. The incremental cost of adding a show once you've paid for the travel and hotel makes me wonder how anyone could only see it once. We saw 5 shows (Friday - Sunday).

We were so warmly welcomed by forum members. Ann and I just kept telling each other "we have found our people"! Colin started talking to us at the Friday night show because we were sitting just behind him wearing our Billy shirts. He introduced us around and we met several fantastic people (Joe, Scott, Liam, Jason). We loved having lunch with you all on Saturday and getting to discuss the world of Billy. I tear up a little at how much it meant to me to be able to share a passion with others.

The shows were wonderful. The Friday night show seemed to me to get off to a bit of a slow start, perhaps due to the small crowds, but not long into it everyone picked up the energy and I never felt it drop again all weekend. These boys always amaze me. We had seen Noah, Drew, and Mitchell before and were greatly looking forward to seeing them again and they did not disappoint.

Drew's dancing was even more amazing than the first time we saw him.
Noah will always hold a special place in my heart as he played Billy the way I see him in my mind.
Mitchell has such joy when he dances. The scene with him and older Billy gave me a whole new appreciation for that number.

My friends who are not Billyvers keep telling us it's time to find a new musical, but we are still in mourning. Rebound relationships never work out anyway. I desperately want to see it in London, but it will come down to financing. I am hopeful that the show continues there long enough for me to save up and make the journey.

Thank you to all the forum friends who were so welcoming to a couple of Billyvers from Nashville!
Eli
20 shows (1 Broadway, 19 tour)
10 Billys
jotunheim
Tall Boy

Post by jotunheim »

Lots of other good reviews here, so I won't add much except for some pictures from the weekend. I was able to see all three and all three performed wonderfully, as I would expect with a cast and show this mature. Interesting that both the first show I saw in July 2012 and last show this past weekend were performed by Noah.

First one is from a local restaurant about a block from the DeVos Center where we had the chance to meet several other forum members and discuss the show at great length. :) I think I was the junior member at 15 shows - most of the rest were around me all the way up to 97 I think. It was great to finally meet people with a similar if not even more passionate following for the show. PM me if anyone wants the full size image.

I had front row seats (of course), but my odd friends actually like to sit in the mezzanine so I did chat with them a bit up there and snapped a picture of the theatre. The side valance lighting gradually changes colors before the show and is a neat effect.

Drew had a lot of family it seemed at the show with both parents and I believe grandparents there to greet after the show. Most memorable portion of his performance was what appeared to be an elevated triple pirouette(?) during Electricity and of course the piano flip, which was the first one I have seen performed live. He was gracious enough to allow a picture and I asked him what he actually says to Rich Hebert during the question session of the audition and he said it was usually a short story of 4 to 5 sentences but did not elaborate on what the topic was.

Friday evening was actually the first full show of Mitchell that I was able to see after several split shows in San Diego and East Lansing. After the Friday evening show, his mom was out waiting for him and had a nice conversation with her and was actually very thankful for the 'superfans' as she called them. She understood how family members could do it, but was amazed at the amount of travel people would put in to see the show. I love his take on the response to Tony with the magic hand gesture when he says "I'll be right back!". Mitchell was also gracious enough to allow a photo and do appreciate it!

I took advantage of the shows in Grand Rapids to take a circle tour around Lake Michigan with some friends, with a stop in Mackinac Island and also in the Keweenaw Peninsula. Highly recommend both if you are in the area! I will miss the road trips associated with Billy Elliot but do hope to see the show across the pond in June 2014.

North American Tour - (15):

Milwaukee, WI - July 2012 - (1): Noah
St. Paul, MN - October 2012 - (4): Ben x2, Zach, Noah
Omaha, NE - December 2012 - (3): Ben x2, Noah
E. Lansing, MI - January 2013 - (3): Mitchell/Ben (split), Drew, Noah
San Diego, CA - May 2013 - (1): Mitchell/Noah (split)
Grand Rapids, MI - June 2013 - (3): Mitchell, Drew, Noah
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

jotunheim wrote:After the Friday evening show, Mitchel's mom was out waiting for him and had a nice conversation with her and was actually very thankful for the 'superfans' as she called them.
Great review jotunheim. I found the above to be true this weekend in Hartford as well. Some of the parents were very appreciative of the fans who support the show so strongly. Drew's dad even mentioned that he and Mitchell's dad had said they would love to invite a group of fans to dinner sometime.
:/
alexandre
Small Boy

Post by alexandre »

jotunheim wrote:Lots of other good reviews here, so I won't add much except for some pictures from the weekend.
That was really good!

Thinking now... maybe I should've flown over for these last two weeks but you've got to set some limits :lol:

Not sure which side of the line Sao Paulo is :roll:
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Great photos, jotunheim! Really adds flavor to the meal that is our Forum here, and fun for those of us who spot familiar faces. :)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
jotunheim
Tall Boy

Post by jotunheim »

Thanks Sean - you have a great way with words as you so eloquently stated with your Hartford wrap-up review. I think I read it 3 times I was so impressed. :) I imagine you ran into Joe and Liam out in Hartford from our group in Grand Rapids.
North American Tour - (15):

Milwaukee, WI - July 2012 - (1): Noah
St. Paul, MN - October 2012 - (4): Ben x2, Zach, Noah
Omaha, NE - December 2012 - (3): Ben x2, Noah
E. Lansing, MI - January 2013 - (3): Mitchell/Ben (split), Drew, Noah
San Diego, CA - May 2013 - (1): Mitchell/Noah (split)
Grand Rapids, MI - June 2013 - (3): Mitchell, Drew, Noah

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”