Sao Paulo Reviews

louisv
Audience Member

Re: Sao Paulo Reviews

Post by louisv »

The reviews I've read so far are VERY positive about the show, but some do sugest Credicard Hall was not the best place to have it. Personally, I also think it's too large. Some things to consider:

- Credicard Hall is not exactly close to São Paulo's main points, and since traffic can be a problem around here and the show is always on time, a lot of people will definitely be late and get into the teather later on, which can be really distracting.

- I avoid the subtitles to focus on what's happening on stage, but I did noticed they were a bit off during the first show I saw (only their second in Sao Paulo). Some of the lines were lost in translation (like the "Billy Elliot, Esquire" joke), other lines were revealed to the audience way before the actor's delivery, and there were some minor mistakes ("Merry Christmas, Maggie Tatcher" was once translated as "Happy birthday, Maggie Tatcher"). Now, some of the subtitle lines are divided and the timing is perfect. FYI, the subtitles are projected in three different screens (a large one, top of the stage, and two smaller ones on each side of the stage) and are also put together with the live images for the jumbotron.

- I wasn't following the tour prior to Sao Paulo, so I can tell you if there's any changes (I saw the show on Broadway once, but those are the changes you already know, like Billy's bedroom and the dresses in Expressing Yourself). The one thing I'm positive they've changed is this: coming back to act 2, George says "Merry Christmas" to the audience in Portuguese ("Feliz Natal").

- I've seen the 3 Billys now, and each one of them bring their own thing to the character. I have to say Drew's Electricity really blew me away. He even got a standing ovation from some members of the audience (myself included).

- I have tickets to the closing night, but I still hope to see the show a few more times before next Sunday.
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

Thanks for the great reviews louisv and kadu.

Oh yeh WELCOME TO THE FORUM KADU
angelenroute
Billy

Re: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Post by angelenroute »

kadu wrote:The cast also seemed to be having a great time. I loved how, right before "Merry Christmas, Maggie Thatcher", the actor dressed as Santa (I'm don't know his name) tried speaking some Portuguese with the audience hahaha

The addition of subtitles was very well done. I didn't need then, but read then on and off more out of curiosity. They did their best with the translation, but there were some scenes that came out very flat mostly because they were impossible to translate and still make sense.

Well, overall it was a great experience. I'm very anxious to see it again on Saturday!

Oh, btw, sorry about any English mistakes!
Your English is better than many U.S. and U.K. natives!!! :) ...thanks for the info about Joel Hatch (plays George...who plays Santa) as well as the translations. So happy you got to see the show a couple times and that you're here letting us all live vicariously through your notes! :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
kadu
Small Boy

Re: Sao Paulo, Brazil

Post by kadu »

angelenroute wrote:
kadu wrote:The cast also seemed to be having a great time. I loved how, right before "Merry Christmas, Maggie Thatcher", the actor dressed as Santa (I'm don't know his name) tried speaking some Portuguese with the audience hahaha

The addition of subtitles was very well done. I didn't need then, but read then on and off more out of curiosity. They did their best with the translation, but there were some scenes that came out very flat mostly because they were impossible to translate and still make sense.

Well, overall it was a great experience. I'm very anxious to see it again on Saturday!

Oh, btw, sorry about any English mistakes!
Your English is better than many U.S. and U.K. natives!!! :) ...thanks for the info about Joel Hatch (plays George...who plays Santa) as well as the translations. So happy you got to see the show a couple times and that you're here letting us all live vicariously through your notes! :D

Sean
hey, thanks!

I wrote that pretty fast, so I always worry about mistakes (even in portuguese haha)
Thanks for your kind words!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Sean, I think you meant Joel Blum, not Joel Hatch. Both played very different, but still wonderful, interpretations of George.
:/
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

CJ-Rochester wrote:Sean, I think you meant Joel Blum, not Joel Hatch. Both played very different, but still wonderful, interpretations of George.
Ahh, yes! I've made that mistake before, too! Right you are.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Thanks for the good reviews louisv and kadu. I'm curious about a couple of things. Are most of Broadway and London shows normally made into a Brazilian production? Or is it common to translate the shows. Is there a big mining/union presence in Brazil that the show could latch onto?

Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
louisv
Audience Member

Post by louisv »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Thanks for the good reviews louisv and kadu. I'm curious about a couple of things. Are most of Broadway and London shows normally made into a Brazilian production? Or is it common to translate the shows. Is there a big mining/union presence in Brazil that the show could latch onto?

Sam
Yes, Sam, many Broadway musicals are eventually made into a Brazilian production. Right now, The Lion King is playing in Sao Paulo, with the lyrics translated to Portuguese. Some musicals are exactly the same as they were on Broadway (like Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Addams Family, Mamma Mia, Les Miserables). Others are made into completely "fresh" musicals (new direction, scenic design, lighting design and everything), while the book and score are the same (like Spring Awakening, Avenue Q, Hair). BETM would probably fit be an example of the first category.

One of Brazil's most accomplished musical theater directors once told me - and that was years ago - that Billy Elliot, though one of his personal favorites, was an incredibly difficult musical to put together with a local cast. I can not say, however, if there was ever an official talk about it. I do know it took them 10 years to convince Disney to bring The Lion King to São Paulo, and now the performances are sold out almost two months in advance.
kadu
Small Boy

Post by kadu »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Thanks for the good reviews louisv and kadu. I'm curious about a couple of things. Are most of Broadway and London shows normally made into a Brazilian production? Or is it common to translate the shows. Is there a big mining/union presence in Brazil that the show could latch onto?

Sam
Yes, it became even more popular in the past 10 years or so, when producers and investors finally realized the potential of musical theater and more shows (of all sizes and genres) started to be produced over here. Like louisv mentioned, there are 2 kinds of productions being developed here: The "corbon copy" and the "original concept" (that's how I call them haha). The first one is self-explanatory I guess... it is basically the same show presented on Broadway or the West End (same scenery, costumes, direction... everything) but in Portuguese and with a Brazilian cast. Recent examples include Phantom of the Opera, Chicago, Les Miserables, Beauty and the Beast, Miss Saigon, Mamma Mia!, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Addams Family, Cats, The Lion King, (...), and the list goes on). The second category only maintains the score and book, everything else has a new concept... pretty much like a revival. Recent examples include Avenue Q, Spring Awakening, Hair, Gypsy, Fiddler on the Roof, Next To Normal, Evita, Cabaret, The Sound of Music, Hello Dolly, La cage Aux Folles, How To Succeed in Business, (...), and the list goes on. This format that Billy Elliot is being presented is not that common, only for international tours.

As far as having an audience here for a Brazilian production of BETM, I would be positive there is. The story itself is pretty universal and many aspects of it are very close to the Brazilian people! I think it could totally work. The only problem I could see is casting that many kids in a demanding show like this... it would be a challenge!
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

kadu wrote:The only problem I could see is casting that many kids in a demanding show like this... it would be a challenge!
Let's suppose for a minute that they ARE able to identify enough kids... What's "enough"? Do you know how the child labor laws work there in terms of how many shows a child would be permitted to do per week? Is it more like the US cast structure for the current Tour show playing there or is it more like England where they have to have three complete casts of Michaels, Debbies, Small Boys, Tall Boys and Ballet girls -- OR, something completely different?

Return to “Reviews - N. American/International Tour”