John Peter Viernes--Billy: Chicago, Toronto and US Tour

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: John Peter Viernes--Billy: Chicago, Toronto and US Tour

Post by kport »

cws8998 wrote:"HISTORICAL CONTRIBUTION"

I simply feel compelled to pay tribute to this magnificent talent particularly since his long tenure as Billy has come to an end. I do consider myself most fortunate in being one of those who experienced his debut at the Oriental in Chicago; as well as a number of performances there; subsequently through Toronto, and then in many venues along the way of the National Tour.

I vividly recall his silent battles in establishing his autheticity amongst some audience members in being miscast due to his ethnicity, and on a couple occasions, when matching his picture in the Playbill to the insert for that performance, suggestions that they were seeing an understudy that day. What a joy it was for me to engage those folks in conversation in order to set the record straight by educating them on the selection, training, and extraordinary talent they were fortunate to be seeing in JP's performance.

Never to be overlooked was the precious message that Billy was attempting to convey in his desire to nuture his budding talent in being "all that he can be" despite so many obstacles he had to overcome on his journey. And between you, me and the fence post, given the dozen performances of the show I've seen, no one delivered those messages more brilliantly than did JP. The debth of His anguish, his expressions of passion and determination could not help but command your utmost attention every moment he was on stage...he would never allow you to let go of the emotions he was experiencing. So proficient was he in his absolute execution, You could miss so much if for a moment you took your eyes off him.

Indeed, Billies will come and go...each with their own interpretations of the role...each extraordinary in providing us pure joy in what we were viewing. Well, allow me this moment of profound gratitude for JP's unbending contributions to BETM which never for a moment wavered in all the performances I saw him. His passion was always mine to share and I will continue to carry his expressions as a standard in each subsiquent performance I anticipate seeing.

All my best to the future of this remarkable young man.

Colin W. Stetson

A very fine and fitting tribute to a young lad who was 'always there' when Billy Elliot the Musical needed him. JP always gave 110% and made the role his own. I am sure I join others in wishing him well in the future, and to continue to live his dreams.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Sad to see the farewell of the last of the Chicago Billys, which was a period of the U.S. tour that I still haven't stopped missing.

I saw J.P. perform twice - back in July, 2010 at the Oriental Theater in Chicago and on 11/11/11 in St. Louis. (Interestingly, I had the opportunity to chat with J.P. on 10/10/10 at Tommy Batchelor's final performance in Chicago. Guess I'll have to plan on being at a 'Billy' show on 12/12/12 and maybe J.P. will be at that one too !)

He was very friendly and down to earth in the few times I had a chance to meet him. He'll certainly be missed and will go down as one of the real troupers in the show's history, as well as one of its longest-serving Billys.
tomtorfan
Small Boy

Post by tomtorfan »

cws8998 wrote: I vividly recall his silent battles in establishing his authenticity amongst some audience members in being miscast due to his ethnicity
Great observation, Colin. We in the forum just saw a great artist when we saw J.P. But too many just saw an "Asian boy." To his great credit, J.P. would win most of them over. By show's end, they too just saw an amazing Billy.
We will find a new tomorrow
When we come to rest at last...
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Happy 16th Birthday, JP!!

Hope you have a great day.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Happy Birthday JP.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

Here's a nice article about JP's upcoming appearance in a local production of "The Nutcracker."
http://coastsider.com/site/news/billy_e ... acker/5920
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Yet another nice article about JP and his upcoming role as the Prince in The Nutcracker. This one appeared in yesterday's Half Moon Bay review -- JP's local newspaper:

http://www.hmbreview.com/arts_and_enter ... 963f4.html
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Ballet Girl Brittany Nicholas posted this picture on her public Instagram of her and J.P. Viernes on the occasion of J.P.'s visit to the show yesterday:

http://instagram.com/p/ZMgOdBwxCH/
jdmag44
Michael

Post by jdmag44 »

J P looks great I have many memories of the "Joyful" performances this talented young man gave. His Billy was unique and wonderfully playful. Good luck with whatever you do next J P
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

J.P. dances this coming weekend with members of the dance school that gave him the skills to "Be Billy", The Shely Pack Dancers:

http://www.hmbreview.com/arts_and_enter ... mode=story

Return to “Cast - N. American/International Tour”