Waiting for Godot

Chat about other shows here
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Waiting for Godot

Post by patc »

Former Tall Boy, Ashley Cousins, is currently in rehearsals for Waiting For Godot.

https://twitter.com/Ashman909

Pat
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Waiting for Godot

Post by ERinVA »

I see that this production will be done by the Reading Rep:

http://www.readingrep.com/
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Have tweeted Ashley on this. Went to school in Reading and know it well. He certainly is taking on some challenging roles. Love this play.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Ashley will be playing ' Boy'. Those familiar with the play will know that the two tramps waiting for Godot are interrupted several times by a rather timid boy with a message from Mr Godot as to when he will arrive. The tramps interrogate the boy about Mr Godot and his appearance etc. This is a demanding little role with the key words yes sir and no sir repeated many times.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Went to see this play by Reading Rep theatre on the 26th. Well if you thought the theatre for 'Sandel' was small this was even smaller. 50 seats in 2 rows sat either side of a sandy arena with a tree with no leaves in act 1 and a few leaves in act 2. 'Waiting for Godot' has been described as a witty and poetic conundrum. Two tramps standing somewhere waiting for someone ( Godot) who never comes and they go on waiting. A poignant play about friendship, loyalty and trust. Enter Pozzo excellently played by Stephen Macauley and his slave Lucky. Stephen is of African origin so there is a neat twist to the master/slave scenario. Ashley played 'boy' who appears with a message from Mr Godot in Act 1 and again in Act 2 when he might be his brother as he denies ever having met the tramps in Act 1. Boy has to be frightened and timid and Ashley did this superbly well. It is a brief cameo role compared to Sandel but nevertheless of importance to the play. We knew Ashley could do posh boy so well but here he has to be the frightened bringer of messages facing a tough time from the tramps Vladimir and Estragon. 'Waiting for Godot' by Samuel Beckett is very thought provoking. It means many things to many people and it's meaning depends on you the observer to find its meaning for yourself. I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and Ashley's role in it. The challenge for him now is not to be typecast in 'boy' roles. It is good for Ashley to be able to add this to his performing arts CV but I hope he moves on to different achievements. He really deserves to.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”