Broadway Billy related questions.

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Re: Broadway Billy related questions.

Post by johnnyc »

I don't know if this is the proper place for this, but something that occurs in both NYC and London has always bothered me. In the scene just before the boxing, Billy is looking for his trainers, and goes back downstairs to find dead mum has gone. He says mum? Then he repeats the word while looking down. Now the repetition of the word has seldom worked for me, because it's usually just said without any emotion. And when done in that manner, it makes no sense. The other night I heard Kiril Kulish do it differently. The first time, he said "mum" as a question. (Mum, where are you? Have you gone?) OK, all the Billys do that. But when he repeated the word, he had sadness and longing in his voice. (Oh, Mum, I miss you so much.) Done in this manner, the repetition makes sense.

So am I the only one who feels this way about that dialog? I think the scene should tell us what Billy's feelings are for his departed mother. And if he just says "mum" the second time without any feeling, as happens 99 percent of the time, that fails to tell us how he really feels.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

I have not seen the show enough times to even recall this detail, but johnnyc's suggestion sounds good to me. At any rate, he's sure making Kiril Kulish's performance sound studendous in every way.
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese proverb
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I can understand what you mean johnnyc.

Not wishing to sound pedantic but the boys actually say "Mam". It is often used in the North of England instead of Mum and I should know as I always called my Mam that.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

phoebe wrote:I have not seen the show enough times to even recall this detail, but johnnyc's suggestion sounds good to me. At any rate, he's sure making Kiril Kulish's performance sound studendous in every way.
Kiril is a talented, sensitive actor, but I didn't intend to imply he has something the other actors lack. He is just a more emotional Billy than some others choose to portray.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

Billy Whiz wrote: Not wishing to sound pedantic but the boys actually say "Mam". It is often used in the North of England instead of Mum and I should know as I always called my Mam that.
As does Liam Mower. You are right of course, but when I talk about the musical, I have a tendency to use whichever word (mam, mum, mom) comes to mind first. :lol:

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”