Brandon Ranalli: Billy u/s (Wichita), Billy (Gateway, Media)

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Brandon Ranalli: Billy u/s (Wichita), Billy (Gateway, Media)

Post by CJ-Rochester »

http://www.mtwichita.org/shows_tickets/ ... rview#2090
kport wrote:Brandon Ranalli is listed as 'Billy understudy'. His bio notes that he is 'twelve years old and hails from Media, PA, a suburb of Philadelphia.' BETM will be playing at the Media Theatre, near Philadelphia, from November 18th 2015 - January 3rd 2016.
I wonder if this is a bit of foreshadowing. Brandon competed in the YAGP semi-finals in 2014 and 2015. He certainly seems to have the ballet qualifications to play Billy. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suji5wdNP6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnTUrbpRaVM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gsuwvPX_GY

Based on seeing that third video he should have no problem mastering Electricity.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Brandon Ranalli: Billy understudy (Wichita)

Post by porschesrule »

Brandon also has the tap skills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os1H86i0qTA
Lola
Tall Boy

Post by Lola »

Wow, he is really great! I especially liked his dance to "O Fortuna"! Really well done!
I'm not a big fan of this understudy thing (probably most of us aren't), especially not for child actors. Brandon is an amazing dancer, so I hope he gets his chance to perform the role!
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

Lola wrote:Wow, he is really great! I especially liked his dance to "O Fortuna"! Really well done!
I'm not a big fan of this understudy thing (probably most of us aren't), especially not for child actors. Brandon is an amazing dancer, so I hope he gets his chance to perform the role!
Those of us in the Philadelphia area are hoping that Brandon wins the role in the Media Theatre production this November.
Lola
Tall Boy

Post by Lola »

accessmenj wrote:
Lola wrote:Wow, he is really great! I especially liked his dance to "O Fortuna"! Really well done!
Those of us in the Philadelphia area are hoping that Brandon wins the role in the Media Theatre production this November.
I'll have my fingers crossed for him! Go, Brandon :D
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Brandon Ranalli: Billy u/s (Wichita), Billy (Gateway)

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Here is confirmation that there is more in store for Brandon than just being understudy in Wichita. This photo was posted on the Gateway's Facebook page. Looking forward to seeing him there!

https://www.facebook.com/GatewayPA/phot ... 11/?type=1
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

I will write a more complete review later, but just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Brandon's performance yesterday. It was only his 4th show but he showed no signs of being new or nervous. Every time he dances there is complete joy in his face. This kid was certainly born to be Billy!

I hope the talent scouts for London or the UK tour get wind of him. He could be a good fit there. Meanwhile enjoy this photo that was posted on Gateway's Facebook page yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/GatewayPA/phot ... 01/?type=1
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

I hope my fellow Forum members at yesterday's matinee will not mind if I state that we were all blown away by Brandon's performance. I believe it was his fourth as Billy, but he has had a sort of Billy Camp experience, shadowing Mitchell (what an example to learn from!) before coming to Patchogue. I can assure anyone reading this that North American regionals are producing a new generation of lead actors to keep this franchise running well into the future. Benjamin Cheng will soon debut in Memphis, and it looks as though two Ontario lads will be schooled for the Royal Manitoba production in 2016. There may be others in the pipeline, too.

I was not the only one to quip that Brandon appears to have been almost 'perfectly formed from the brow of Zeus', as we chatted over some pub grub at a fascinating place called Reese's 1900, a block from the theatre. Brandon's performance elicited the same appreciation for real talent that you sense when a new Billy appears for the first time at the VPT. Brandon is a true triple threat. His singing is quite innocent and really quite beautiful, not unlike Liam's on the original cast recording. His dancing is outstanding, as one would expect with a resume like his. But what took me by surprise is his acting. It is very difficult to explain it, so I will limit it to this: he totally understands his role, and those around him. You can sense that he has utter confidence. His acting is mature. He always interacts with the others. Perhaps what he has done is what Mitchell said, in answer to a question, in a tv interview in Patchogue: 'Don't try to become Billy; let Billy become you'. I think that bit of advice rang true in the performance I witnessed yesterday. Brandon IS Billy. And Billy IS Brandon.

This boy from Media PA will be heard from again; he really deserves as many chances as he can get to play Billy in future productions - and he is young enough to play the role for a long time. I rarely say it (because I am not an expert, nor do I want to see really good talent go elsewhere), but London would be wise to have a look at this lad, either for the VPT or the upcoming tour.

He is that good. See him, if you ever have the chance.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

kport wrote:I hope my fellow Forum members at yesterday's matinee will not mind if I state that we were all blown away by Brandon's performance. I believe it was his fourth as Billy, but he has had a sort of Billy Camp experience, shadowing Mitchell (what an example to learn from!) before coming to Patchogue.
For the record, yesterday's performance was Brandon's 5th as Billy.

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... 34#p111434

Nice review, kport. Thanks!
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Those who have not yet seen Brandon perform may well regard the comments about his performances in Patchogue as overstatement. I know I had a bit of skepticism going in. A newly trained 12-year-old learning all that dialogue, choreography, flying, singing and staging? When all other regionals are relying on either veteran Billys or training 14- and 15- and 16-year olds? It doesn't seem possible, not at a level of a Tour or London or Broadway.

And then you see Brandon. Singing with style. Tapping up a storm. Ballet dancing with elegance. Flying with grace. Not just reciting lines, but delivering a bona fide Billy with expression and gestures as thoroughly convincing as any veteran Tour Billy. In just his 5th performance of the role! WOW just doesn't cover it.

Clearly Brandon has talent in spades, but we all know it takes more than that to be the lead actor of this particular musical. Whatever it is, Brandon has it. The kind of performance that will take anyone and everyone watching on the full Billy Elliot experience, the emotional rollercoaster from the depths of despair to mountain-high joyous conclusion.

Bravo, Brandon!

Return to “Cast Members - Past Regional Productions”