BBC 2: 'Let Me Entertain You'

For off-topic content
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

BBC 2: 'Let Me Entertain You'

Post by kport »

This is a most remarkable article about a series of shows I will certainly watch. As an expat who lived and worked in the UK for four decades, it speaks volumes to me.

And these words bind it to The Best Musical Ever:
It is this theme that dominates one of the most emblematic of all 21st-century Britain’s cultural triumphs, the musical version of the film Billy Elliot. For while the musical mourns the death of our coal-mining villages in the 1980s, it also celebrates the story of Billy himself – a talented boy who dances his way out of poverty.

It’s no wonder that the story appealed to another self-made man whose musical talents catapulted him to astonishing wealth and stardom. ‘As a child,’ explained Elton John after he’d written the music for the West End version, ‘I dreamt of a career in music, escaping into my treasured record collection for inspiration and hope... Like Billy, the opportunity to express myself artistically was a passport to a better, more fulfilling life.’ That, of course, is the dream that appeals to so many contestants on shows like The X Factor.

I should hardly need to point out that it is essentially a fantasy, a mirage, an illusion cultivated by the show’s producers. But as the last two centuries of British culture have shown, there will always be a market for crowd-pleasing fantasies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z3q5t929eE

Return to “General Chat”