July 2009 Reviews - NYC

phoebe
Debbie

Re: JULY REVIEWS US

Post by phoebe »

Wonderful review, CJ! Thanks so much. When I saw the show in July, I, too, would say that Haydn was both more ascerbic AND also more emotionally touched by Billy. And, YES! Greg keeps making Dad more real as well as more funny!!

Now, I can't wait to see Trent sometime! Judging by everyone's reviews, it sounds like all the original Broadway Billys have matured into the role very effectively.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Sorry, I forgot to ask: Where were your seats? Would you recommend them?
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

phoebe wrote:Sorry, I forgot to ask: Where were your seats? Would you recommend them?
It's funny you asked about the seats. I was going to write a review of them. We sat in Orch. Left C13-15. That's the far end of the row, in front of the speakers and side steps off the stage.

The view of the stage is a very different angle and takes some getting used to. The opening number with the scrim doesn't work so well from that angle. A small bit of the union hall upstage right was blocked. We had to lean over to see Billy in his first song, until he stood up. When Grandma went to look for her pasty on the landing, we couldn't see where she went. During the Dear Billy song, Trent's back was to us, although we could still see him wipe his eyes. Otherwise I don't think we missed much.

There were some positives about these seats too. Billy makes numerous entrances and exits through this area, especially during Solidarity. Trent whizzed right by us constantly, just inches away.
During Dear Billy we had a clear view of both Mum and Haydn. In fact I think it was largely due to the view from this angle that I was able to notice how touched Haydn was. At the start of Act II the boys in their elf outfits came by and wished us Merry Christmas. :)

Overall I would say these were not my favorite seats, but I recommend trying them for the different experience. The theater is small and you get a good show from every seat, but there are some differences between right, left, and center. Those who see the show multiple times should try to view it from different angles.
:/
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Thanks, CJ.
I saw my first BETM from similar seats, though on the even side of the theater: B 12 and 14; I was in 14. I found that the speakers obscured a fair amount of the action and there was another amount that I just couldn't see due to the angle, including major parts of Billy's major dances. Perhaps they'd be good seats for a varied view for your 3rd or 4th (or 80th) show, but I wouldn't recommend them for the first experience. I left feeling quite frustrated; like I'd been there and had a glimpse, but hadn't really seen the show.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

In my review of the Wednesday, July 22 matinee performance I mentioned that I had taken a photo of David Bologna and Tommy Batchelor at the stage door after the show. I later got permission from both families to use the photo on this forum, but I never got around to showing it. So, for what it's worth, here's the picture I took that afternoon.

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Great photo, johnnyc. I hope you have sent it in for the gallery.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

Wonderful shot, johnnyc! One of the best stage door photos I've seen! Both Tommy and David look great and seem to still be in tune with each other!
SatinandLace
Tall Boy

Post by SatinandLace »

I love that Tommy always seems to be decked out in Billy gear!
~Lauren~
8xTrent 3xSam 3xLayton 2xJosh F. 4xCorey
1xFox 1xHogan 2xScott 1xRhys
4xDavid 4xKiril 1xTanner
2xCesar 1xTommy 1xJ.P.
2xDaniel 2xLex 2xGuiseppe
1xKylend 1xKaine 1xJosh B.
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

ERinVA wrote:Great photo, johnnyc. I hope you have sent it in for the gallery.
Thanks ERinVA, I have. Billy Whiz just announced that it is included in the latest additions.

Return to “Reviews Archive”